It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:12 am

NFS: SB8 Stickbass EMG Active Flightcase (not for sale) 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: NFS: SB8 Stickbass EMG Active Flightcase (not for sale)
I've decided to stick (no pun intended) with the original DBR instead of what I had in mind.

The main reason is that I'm more used to playing 4/5 string basses, so my highest string is always G2 and I need this for reference, I was going crazy with 8 strings in straight 4ths...

Another reason is that in "my mind" the tuning needs to "make sense", so this I can call a 4-string bass 1-4 plus a 4-string cello 5-8 (tuned half step down). With the added benefit that string 5 doubles as a low B for the 4-string bass, which turns it into a 5-string bass.

Call me crazy, but this makes sense to me and gives me peace!

So, the bass side is 1-5 which has a range of 3 3/4 octaves (B0 - G4), and the cello side is 5-8 which also has a range of 3 3/4 octaves (B0 - G4#).

I basically have the same notes on each half of the stick, which allows me to play crossed or uncrossed, or in a single section. There is 99% overlap, which is not a problem for me as I don't need more range than a 5-string bass.

Support: bitcoin:bc1qedfg9z55ux3tlnf7qnnu3vggv8vant604dasye?message=Donate

http://www.instagram.com/waltschwarzkopf

Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:10 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: FS: SB8 Stickbass EMG Active Flightcase (AGAIN)
Big George Waters wrote:
I really really really like the 8 string instruments, my SB 8 is set up like 2 bass guitars, the bass side is the standard Crafty C G D A using very heavy strings, the melody side is E A D G using very heavy strings, all the heavy strings run down the center, it's a real wild instrument to play. My RB 8 is set up Crafty/Fripp tuning which is 5ths across the board with a couple of 3rds maybe at the top, and my NS Stick - which is an instrument I need to give more attention to is Mixed Guitar Intervals ?? I think that's what it's called. That might be a real fun tuning for you :)

George, I have to admit that when I first read your post I thought "No, that's not for me", but the more I think about it the more I think I will like it!

I am now set on tuning my SB8 in DBR. Actually, I already tuned to DBR but with some old strings, so the notes are there but the tension is all over the place. Sidenote, new set coming from NewTone soon.

But I am considering tuning a 10-string stick into DBR too, but since I'm not sure if the space between the groups would be a problem (I know it was an issue for you on your RB8), I'm thinking of tuning the bass side starting on C:

Melody: C3 G2 D2 A1 E1
Bass: C1 G1 D2 A2 E3

Then I thought to myself, "Wait, I've seen this before... Isn't that Big George's tuning?" And it is, just a 10-string version of it.

Moreover, looking at the table of gauges and tunings that I'm compiling (see here: https://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16710) I notice that note-wise (but not pitch-wise) I had landed in Matched Reciprocal! Just with the melody an octave lower. I also thought about starting the melody side on B0, so like deep baritone melody with the melody an octave lower, but having two thick strings in the middle tuned half-step from each other seem a bit redundant to me.

Would love to hear your comments or read any other of your posts on this (if you can share the links)

Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:48 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: FS: SB8 Stickbass EMG Active Flightcase (AGAIN)
waltschwarzkopf wrote:
But I am considering tuning a 10-string stick into DBR too, but since I'm not sure if the space between the groups would be a problem (I know it was an issue for you on your RB8), I'm thinking of tuning the bass side starting on C:

Then I thought to myself, "Wait, I've seen this before... Isn't that Big George's tuning?" And it is, just a 10-string version of it.

Walt, when I'm doing tuning experiments (real experiments or just preliminary thought experiments) I find it very useful to see what I call a "Touchboard Map".

"Touchboard Maps" are an illustration I've set up using html & a bit of css (e.g. some of the css helps shoe the 'frets' closer together as you go along the touchboard). There are some examples at http://www.david-wright.co.uk/music/touchboard_maps/. Maybe sometime I will add a few more 'standard' tunings, but they don't actually interest me so up til now there have been lots more intersting things to do!

I''ve structured the html code so that if you are handy with a text editor (expecially one that can do column operations and block copy & paste, such as notepad++) it's not at all hard to take an existing map and convert it to a different tuning, once you get the idea.

I suspect you may be handy with such a text editor?

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:04 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

DavidWS wrote:
waltschwarzkopf wrote:

Walt, when I'm doing tuning experiments (real experiments or just preliminary thought experiments) I find it very useful to see what I call a "Touchboard Map".

"Touchboard Maps" are an illustration I've set up using html & a bit of css (e.g. some of the css helps shoe the 'frets' closer together as you go along the touchboard). There are some examples at http://www.david-wright.co.uk/music/touchboard_maps/. Maybe sometime I will add a few more 'standard' tunings, but they don't actually interest me so up til now there have been lots more intersting things to do!

I''ve structured the html code so that if you are handy with a text editor (expecially one that can do column operations and block copy & paste, such as notepad++) it's not at all hard to take an existing map and convert it to a different tuning, once you get the idea.

I suspect you may be handy with such a text editor?
Hey David, that’s a great idea. I do something similar with excel, but it takes some effort to put the notes manually. So your code should come in very handy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:04 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

waltschwarzkopf wrote:
I do something similar with excel, but it takes some effort to put the notes manually. So your code should come in very handy!

With block copy/paste you can often switch whole chunks around with little extra typing. :)

The main detail editing for a change usually for the 'C' octave locations that I like to include. If you don't bother with those it would be even easier.

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:50 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Honestly, I try not to dive deep into different tunings....

Grace is the one who gave me the idea of the two bass guitar tunings one fourths one fifths, so she is the one who deserves the credit, and that's also something that took about a year for me to even consider, but then: a miracle !! SE had an 8 string stick for sale, and I had Grace set it up her way, the set up she turned me on to the previous year.

I'm so glad I got Emmett and Grace to sign it as well......

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:52 am