It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

[WTB] Lap Bar/Lap Dawg 

Post [WTB] Lap Bar/Lap Dawg
My new Railboard is stunning and I'm having a blast exploring the possibilities. Less enjoyable is needing to put jeans on whenever I want to rehearse. It's also unpleasant to come home after standing for 9 hours straight just to stand for another hour. Unfortunately, I have little to no free time to build my own so I'm looking to purchase a lap bar. I'd rather a Lap Dawg so it can fit into my case, but I will consider homemade bars if the price is right.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:23 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: [WTB] Lap Bar/Lap Dawg
I'm a DBro holder fan but you say you don't have the time to make one. I think Gene had a thread about making a holder out of essentially a drum stick or long dowel rod. Love that DBro holder, though. Haven't seen a better solution yet. Cheers! Oh, congrats on the new Stick!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Last edited by paigan0 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:49 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Beware wrote:
My new Railboard is stunning and I'm having a blast exploring the possibilities. Less enjoyable is needing to put jeans on whenever I want to rehearse. It's also unpleasant to come home after standing for 9 hours straight just to stand for another hour. Unfortunately, I have little to no free time to build my own so I'm looking to purchase a lap bar. I'd rather a Lap Dawg so it can fit into my case, but I will consider homemade bars if the price is right.

The Lap Dawg is great, A parts supply issue has them slowed up at the moment.

In the mean time you can do what I did for decades of seated play:

Wear a very loose belt around your waist and let the belthook rest on the front of your chair. very comfy.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks, Greg! Do you have any suggestions for sturdy ones that won't stretch?

I would gladly grab a used Lap Dawg if someone had one they weren't using often enough, though I imagine everybody who owns one is immensely satisfied.

Any craftsman in the house that could be commissioned?

Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:58 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I am not a carpenter by any stretch, but was able to make one out of a handle from a plunger. It can be done, one just needs the will to do it.

Don't be in too much of a hurry to get an apparatus for playing in a seated position You are going to be a Stickist for life. Try some different belts and perhaps experiment with something like a drum stick to get a feel for what "might" be right for playing in a sitting position.

Dave and Michael are both outstanding people that have given time and effort to this group of musicians. The dbro lap bar and the lapdawg provide THE 2 best lap apparatuses that I am aware of for the Stick. One is a low cost, custom made lap bar that can be used with any of your Chapman Sticks, the other is a folding , aluminum bar that becomes an integral part of the instrument.

Both good products from good people that want to help Stick players perform in a more comfortable, seated position. Both active members on this board that will answer your questions as part of a group discussion or in a private message. Both guys you would want on your side in a bar fight, I'll leave that right there. :D

Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I'm in a hurry because I already know the seated position is right for me. I may be a stickist for life, that doesn't mean I want to wait to be able to play comfortably. I'm getting by presently, I want to thrive.

I admire the Lap Dawg and DBro products immensely and I'd be glad to own one. I'm not even looking to get something cheap, I just don't have time nor resources to build it. Lamentable, but my reality.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:55 am

Try a sturdy coat hanger, turned upside down works great for me in a pinch. I have also used some thin drumsticks, like a #7 type that is not too thick. A loose belt like Greg suggested also gives good results, I use an older web type leather that was from my larger "girth" days, it fits nicely in the case with my stick. You don't have to thread it through your pants, just loose around the waist. It is sturdy with the belt that way since it won't slide.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:19 am

Won't leather stretch significantly over time? I suppose it would be a temporary solution anyways...

Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:30 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm not a fan of the belt but a bunch of fine Stickists here in Michigan are. I think Glenn P and Steve B and others use a belt. Glenn, if I remember correctly, uses a more camping style backpack kind of belt from a sporting goods store.

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I prefer canvass web belts, like this one:

They are infinitely adjustable, strong, and soft, so they don't "creak"