It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:53 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 NFS: SB8 Stickbass EMG Active Flightcase (not for sale) 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: FS: SB8 Stickbass EMG Active Flightcase (AGAIN)
There she is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Support: bitcoin:bc1qedfg9z55ux3tlnf7qnnu3vggv8vant604dasye?message=Donate

http://www.instagram.com/waltschwarzkopf

Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:43 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I really really really like the 8 string instruments, my SB 8 is set up like 2 bass guitars, the bass side is the standard Crafty C G D A using very heavy strings, the melody side is E A D G using very heavy strings, all the heavy strings run down the center, it's a real wild instrument to play. My RB 8 is set up Crafty/Fripp tuning which is 5ths across the board with a couple of 3rds maybe at the top, and my NS Stick - which is an instrument I need to give more attention to is Mixed Guitar Intervals ?? I think that's what it's called. That might be a real fun tuning for you :)

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:10 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Big George Waters wrote:
I really really really like the 8 string instruments, my SB 8 is set up like 2 bass guitars, the bass side is the standard Crafty C G D A using very heavy strings, the melody side is E A D G using very heavy strings, all the heavy strings run down the center, it's a real wild instrument to play. My RB 8 is set up Crafty/Fripp tuning which is 5ths across the board with a couple of 3rds maybe at the top, and my NS Stick - which is an instrument I need to give more attention to is Mixed Guitar Intervals ?? I think that's what it's called. That might be a real fun tuning for you :)
Hey George!

It’s always interesting to read your posts!

I had no idea you owned so many 8-stringers... A SB8, a RB8, and a NS? Impressive!

I figure that since I’m a bass player, I NEED those four strings (E A D G) in fourths, no matter where on the fretboard. But since there are no open notes on the stick and mine is 34” I would need the low B to hit that E and sometimes that Eb or even D. So that leaves me with (B E A D G) which is already 5 out of 8 strings. I don’t really play the highest F and Bb strings, so I’m thinking about removing them and shifting everything down. Which leaves space for 2-3 strings on top...

So I’m thinking of trying the DBR as it is, but shifting it up one string, meaning that I get a full 6-string bass in 4ths + 3 strings in 5ths (shared B).

I have a spare set of strings for classic tuning, I will experiment with those and post my results here :)

Last edited by waltschwarzkopf on Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:54 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Big George Waters wrote:
That might be a real fun tuning for you :)

I just realized that my modified DBR tuning is quite similar to Emmett's experimental 8-string tuning as he was developing the Stick!

Attachment:
8stringguitar5ths.jpg

Here is the link to the article https://stick.com/instruments/tunings/chapman_06_06/, I love reading it every now and then :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by waltschwarzkopf on Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:49 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

waltschwarzkopf wrote:
I have an spare set of strings for classic tuning, I will experiment with those and post my results here :)

Tuning experiments are such fun!

It was a long road that led me to my current uncrossed parallel 4ths arrangement on 10 & 12 string Sticks. Unconventional, but it seems to suit me. YMMV...

Bamboo 12 #7472 Stickup 7+5 Parallel 4ths (C#1 F#1 B1 E2 A2 G#1 C#2 F#2 B2 E3 A3 D4)
Bamboo 12 #5826 PASV4 7+5 Parallel 4ths
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic (For Sale)

Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:04 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

DavidWS wrote:
Tuning experiments are such fun!

They are indeed! Just out of curiosity, do you buy single strings for that? Or do you repurpose strings from other sets?

Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:57 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

waltschwarzkopf wrote:
Just out of curiosity, do you buy single strings for that? Or do you repurpose strings from other sets?

Everything has been done using repurposed strings.

I wrote up a lot of my tuning journey in this topic.
https://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=16369
At that stage I'd reached using mirrored 4ths (but not the usual SE arrangement).

Since then I've gone the extra step to parallel 4ths.

The Graphite 10 I got from you is now strung

Melody: E2 A2 D3 G3 C4
Bass: E1 A1 D2 G2 C3

and I really realy like that. It's made from the highest 5 melody strings from SE mirrored 4ths, and the lowest 5 bass strings from the same set,

My (current) ideal 12 string would be to add a low B to each side, i.e.

Melody: B1 E2 A2 D3 G3 C4
Bass: B0 E1 A1 D2 G2 C3

That could be done from all 6 of the melody strings from SE mirrored 4ths, and the lowest 5 bass strings from the same set plus a B0.

However in the strings I have I've not been able to get a satisfactory B0 (I tried lowering the usual C1 from Classic 12 but it didn't seem to play quite right), so currently my 12 string is a semitone higher, i.e.

Melody: C2 F2 A#2 D#3 G#3 C#4
Bass: C1 F1 A#1 D#2 G#2 C#3

That is the melody strings from Classic 12 lowered a semitone, and a C1 from the bass side of Classic plus lowest 5 bass strings from SE mirrored 4ths each raised a semitone.

When the 12 string I have on order from SE is ready I hope to get a custom set of strings as per my 'ideal' 12 string arrangement above.

Bamboo 12 #7472 Stickup 7+5 Parallel 4ths (C#1 F#1 B1 E2 A2 G#1 C#2 F#2 B2 E3 A3 D4)

Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:07 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

https://tension.stringjoy.com/
Have you tried using a string calculator
to figure out the best string for a particular note?

DavidWS wrote:
My (current) ideal 12 string would be to add a low B to each side, i.e.

Melody: B1 E2 A2 D3 G3 C4
Bass: B0 E1 A1 D2 G2 C3

That could be done from all 6 of the melody strings from SE mirrored 4ths, and the lowest 5 bass strings from the same set plus a B0.

However in the strings I have I've not been able to get a satisfactory B0 (I tried lowering the usual C1 from Classic 12 but it didn't seem to play quite right), so currently my 12 string is a semitone higher, i.e.

Melody: C2 F2 A#2 D#3 G#3 C#4
Bass: C1 F1 A#1 D#2 G#2 C#3

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:13 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

WerkSpace wrote:
https://tension.stringjoy.com/
Have you tried using a string calculator
to figure out the best string for a particular note?

SE have a string they use for B0, it's just not in any set that I have (it's the lowest string in Dual Bass Reciprocal.

Jeff wrote last week that my new Stick (ordered September 2021) might be ready in 'a couple of of months', so even allowing for slipage I'm content to hang on & see what they provide.

Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:44 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: (N)FS: SB8 Stickbass EMG Active Flightcase (to sell or n
DavidWS wrote:
SE have a string they use for B0, it's just not in any set that I have (it's the lowest string in Dual Bass Reciprocal.

I believeb is the same B0 string from straight fourths, its a 128 with heavy sets, heaviest stick string I’ve ever seen.

Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:40 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next