It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:33 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Looping 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Looping
Johnmarkpainter wrote:
Ah....
I had heard of the EHX but didn't know it had all the MIDI functionality.
Will look into that.

I forgot that you mentioned the Boss RC-300, which means that you might be looking to connect the vocal mic directly to the looper. If that is the case, please tell me ASAP so that we can discuss the best way for you to wire up such a rig. The problem is that the EHX 45000 is set up with two inputs: though all four tracks are processed independently, the input configuration means that they are not fully independent.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:20 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Robstafarian wrote:
Before story time, I should address your first point; to wit: the Infinity Looper costs almost as much as the 45000, but it provides half as many tracks.

That's right, but concerning versatility, the Infinity beats the EHX. The Infinity has serial looping and loop aging, and it can be used in true stereo for both sides of the Stick.
Another nice looping pedal is the Boomerang.

https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/jenko-nashorn

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:58 am
Contributor
Contributor

Rob,

DEFINITELY appreciate the research :)
There is only so much room in my brain and I attempt to reserve at least a little of it for making music.

I go in 'research cycles' every few years on a given topic.
Then I set up a rig and get to the "shut up and play" phase.
It lasts a while....

Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:35 am
Contributor
Contributor

I do want to ultimately be able to loop with a Mic, Bass or Melody side (or a split GTR) with separate FX on all three.

I sing background vocals, play horns and percussion.
I am interested in a MultiFX Box for the mic anyway, so the RC-300 gets an extra look as it has built in FX.

RE: The Boomerang
I used the original version live back in the 90's but haven't tried any of the newer versions.
It was very reliable back then.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:39 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

In that case, it would probably be best to think about control schemes first and work backwards from there.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:18 pm
Maybe take a look at the iOS app Loopy HD:

http://loopyapp.com/

Check out Loopy App on YouTube

Not sure of best way to route audio ins & outs though..?
http://www.alesis.com/io-dock-ii

Also: Hardware Loopers vs. iOS Apps
http://loopermusic.com/blog/looper-peda ... plications

Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:32 am
Contributor
Contributor

Keith,
Interesting....just downloaded Loopy to my phone.
Could be a fun writing tool.

INTERESTINGLY....it seems that Digitech is thinking along the same lines as I am.
The XT Series all have "JamSync" which keeps them locked and able to do loops of different lengths.
The JamMan Vocal XT has XLR Mic in/Out and just simple looping. $150 no presets.
JamMan Express XT is a no frills one button Stereo True Bypass for $99.
JamMan Solo XT is $150, has Memory Card Storage/Presets, a jack for an extra Footswitch.
I DON'T SEE A SEPARATE OUTPUT FOR THE CLICK/RHYTHM??

Here's where it gets potentially DUMB...the top model JML2 doesn't seem to have JamSync.
???

Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:57 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yeah, that kind of disparity is why the 45000 stays high in my mental list of loopers: it turns out that the controls are the easy part when MIDI is supported. If I am going to roll my own, then I prefer to roll the easy part.

Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:15 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Just remember that using these things effectively takes practice almost as if it were an added instrument. If you go all bells and whistles too fast it can be disastrous if you don't spend time working on the subtle art of creating and working with loops. I've heard some real train wrecks over the years. Hmmmm ... I've been responsible for a couple as well ;)

I started with a DL4 floor pedal from Line6. For a simple looper, it was great and I made very good use of it for quite a long time before I finally traded up to the Echoplex Digital Pro. I'm not saying you have to start with a simple model like the DL4 but if you do go for the big guns right away, do yourself a favor and start with the simplest features and work with those for a while.

Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:14 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

The boss should be fine huh? The midi is a lil weird but ok. Isnt't there a rc 500 now? table top style. Tc electronics ditto and flashback have loopers that are too basic but they loop dead on.

Damn rob your nutters!

Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:26 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next