It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

Looping 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Looping
Any Looping gurus here?
Where is the best forum to dig for current Looper info?

I have a Boss RC-50 on loan at the moment.
I went to a house party last night where Phil Keaggy played (got to sit in :)....he's terrifyingly good with looping. He uses old Lexi JamMan with a MIDI controller pedal.

I am wondering this:
Looper for Bass side, another for Melody Side and a third one for a Microphone all synced together and possibly also syncing tap tempo delays....
I doubt I need 3 RC-300 or the like.
Might go with a couple of smaller Loopers and one master

Before I fall down the rabbit hole....would love to hear from others.

THANKS
John

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:20 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Looping
In my live rig, I've been known to play and loop Stick, acoustic guitar, and synths. I run everything into a nice line mixer and use the send/returns on the line mixer to send individual channels to/from a single looping device. This saves me from having to buy multiple loopers and deal with the headache of keeping them synced. It also means that I have full control over what gets looped and what doesn't which is very important.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Johnmarkpainter wrote:
I went to a house party last night where Phil Keaggy played (got to sit in :).

Nice...

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:08 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not going to be able to premix effectively....will be in a band setting.
In the past I have just used loopers as an occasional fill-in while I played something else.
Thinking about using them more now but not sure yet.
Looping with a live drummer is always a bit perilous.

I have seen that the Jamman pedals have "JamSync".
Would have to try that out. Having to double tap one-button pedals kind of gets weird but I've only tried that with the Ditto pedal.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:54 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Johnmarkpainter wrote:
...will be in a band setting.

Saw Tom Greisgraber with his Agent 22 drummer play a show a couple of years ago. Lots of looping, and they absolutely killed it, first hand proof that it's doable in a band context, though that was only two players.

We've tinkered with it few times in practice (there are 3 of us), to varying degrees of success. Takes a lot of work and discipline. The only way we could get it to work was per the common advice: get a click or other beat from the looper into the mix (as least in the drummer's ear or a monitor). We ended up deciding it wasn't worth the time investment, given our limited practice time. Maybe sometime in the future we'll pick it back up.

(edit: typo)

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:15 pm
Contributor
Contributor

The last shows I did I just had the drummer adjust his beats to allow him to always hear the Loop (less subdivision for instance).
You just feel bad if your Loop point is a little glitchy...

I've been using a TC Flashback x4 for simple looping.
I really like having a few footswitches for control but don't like how you can't have access to your Delay presets when in Looper mode and you have to bend down and switch modes by hand.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:45 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Here comes Rob with the overkill: he developed gear knowledge before playing skill. :lol:

Based on my earlier research, this would do everything you want and more:
  1. Electro-Harmonix 45000 Four Track Looper, $478.50
  2. Behringer FCB1010 MIDI Foot Controller, $150
  3. Pro Co 10 Foot MIDI Cable, $15
  4. UnO Firware Chip, ≈$27 (optional, approximate price based on conversion from €24)
Shipped Total: $670.50

Obviously, you would have to do some MIDI programming: consult the looper instructions and the foot controller manual, and consider using editing software such as FCB/UnO Control Center for approximately $18 (converted from €24). :geek:

This solution definitely falls under the heading of "diminishing returns," even as overkill, but you may find it worthwhile overall due to the consolidation of sync and controls. For me, the math would be a bit more straightforward because I have a Mesa Boogie TriAxis. :twisted:

Last edited by Robstafarian on Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:48 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Ah....
I had heard of the EHX but didn't know it had all the MIDI functionality.
Will look into that.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:20 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Rob, nice on the ElectroHarmonix.... you forgot the Pigtronix Infinity Looper.... great unit... and yes, how did you be come the all knowing GEAR GURU (which is what I am going to call you now)? Very impressive!!

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:35 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

rclere wrote:
Rob, nice on the ElectroHarmonix.... you forgot the Pigtronix Infinity Looper.... great unit... and yes, how did you be come the all knowing GEAR GURU (which is what I am going to call you now)? Very impressive!!

Thanks very much, Randy. :lol:

Before story time, I should address your first point; to wit: the Infinity Looper costs almost as much as the 45000, but it provides half as many tracks.

I became the GEAR GURU by spending at least a couple of hours (sometimes closer to 12 hours) every day studying gear, either the products themselves or how they are used in practice. It all started with researching guitar amps to determine what I would use to test my prototype: that was three years ago. Each time I had run out of amps to research, or at least thought I had, I looked at all kinds of effects and such. That led me to various utility items, like DI boxes, line mixers, and equalizers. Right about then is when I started to dream about Stick rigs (I started my giant gear thread shortly thereafter), which led me to get the bass guitarist's perspective on gear (old school, new school, neophyte, and guru). Once I had absorbed that, I took a step back and got the live sound engineer's perspective on gear. Somewhere between those two points is when I learned about Greenboy's cabinets, and it took me almost two years to develop a good working knowledge of them (I had to learn a lot of new things in order to understand their design compromises and limitations: they are amazing, but they are not a license to manage gain staging, EQ, and amplifier power badly). My last major step was to start learning about synthesizers, pretty much solely because I came across Sonic State, which proved to be quite a lovely distraction.

I had all that time available because my disability and related health problems have kept me unemployable for more than a decade. My chronic fatigue (not to be confused with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) is both why I was so sedentary and why it took so long for me to learn (yes, I am accustomed to absorbing information like a hyper-dense sponge): I kept forgetting things. Eventually, I started dreaming up rigs to help me integrate everything I had learned. Probably my magnum opus in that regard is a wish list I have saved on Sweetwater's website entitled "Crazy Live Rack." I have attached screen captures of that list for your enjoyment (here is why the list begins with that mixer). :lol:

Sorry for the derail, John. :geek:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:40 am