It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:05 am

Interest in iOS and stick "show" 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Interest in iOS and stick "show"
I am thinking of doing an iOS and effects youtube thing. I am tripping balls about how sick the sound processing and fx have come in the last few years and basically want to share and play stick. But maybe in a more format like the google hangouts so yawl could ask stuff and have it be a more communal thing. And if in 'utopia land' anyone with an iPhone or iPad could use the same apps as me or and we would all wig out about the fx at same time ha! IS there much interest in this. It would feature Stick a lot but would appeal to the growing iOS community I think.

Thoughts or ideas?

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:57 am
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Interest in iOS and stick "show"
Cool idea! I'd be fairly interested.

When I first played my new Stick (back in late Dec. / Jan.), I used an $80 Alesis analog to USB audio converter and had the Stick bass and melody running into JamUp, thru Audiobus, and then over to Garageband and out to headphones. I plan to use this setup whenever we're on the road/the family is traveling and I want to get a quick practice in.

This setup is not perfect, so I'd like to hear/see what others are doing with the Stick where iOS is concerned. I know there's a decent Apogee interface, which I want to purchase soon, but it would be good to know which apps might work best, etc. I've thought about designing a new bass/melody app specifically for the Stick, BTW. Not sure I have the time, though, since I do have a synth app that is about 10% re-done (the first release didn't go real well - I skipped beta testing.) :D

Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:11 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Thanks for the reply.
Dude, you make an app for stick and I give you my life or soul whichever is worth more brah! And I'll actually buy it and you can charge like $20 for a stick app. Make some loot for sure.
Ok, I am also interested in your synth app!

Holler at me or whatever if you want, you sound like a mad scientist at this point. Hails

Note: I just noticed youtube has a speed control. Weird, like what is a practical application of that? A boring lecture speed up or a synth album slowed way down. Still weird as hell huh

Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:30 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Oceans wrote:
Note: I just noticed youtube has a speed control. Weird, like what is a practical application of that? A boring lecture speed up or a synth album slowed way down. Still weird as hell huh

The 1.5x playback is great for someone who speaks very slowly, and the sub-1x playback is great for tutorials wherein the "slow" demonstration is 200bpm.

I would love to be a part of the Hangout, though I do not give two shits about iOS. I might even have a useful perspective about interfacing and EQ and shit, who knows? :lol:

Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:13 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Oceans wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
Dude, you make an app for stick and I give you my life or soul whichever is worth more brah! And I'll actually buy it and you can charge like $20 for a stick app. Make some loot for sure.
Ok, I am also interested in your synth app!

Holler at me or whatever if you want, you sound like a mad scientist at this point. Hails

No problem. I kinda look like a mad scientist, too. :lol:

I'll gladly give you a freebie on the synth once I update it again. I figure that I can improve the synth and then stack up the lessons learned in a new app, tentatively named BassAddr, that will likely target bass and guitar simultaneously, at the very least. There are a ton of audio apps out there that blow mine out of the water, many of them using MIDI.

I just wish that the Stick's optional GK-3 pickup / Boss GP10 / Roland GR55 chain/mess had an easier time providing mere MIDI data. XKeys is an example of perfection when it comes to iOS MIDI interfacing. (If anyone knows of an expedient way to interface the GK-3 with iOS, please let me know. I have found a couple of paths, but they are not worth the setup involved!)

Robstafarian wrote:
Oceans wrote:

The 1.5x playback is great for someone who speaks very slowly, and the sub-1x playback is great for tutorials wherein the "slow" demonstration is 200bpm.

I would love to be a part of the Hangout, though I do not give two shits about iOS. I might even have a useful perspective about interfacing and EQ and shit, who knows? :lol:

Rob - I think that'd be cool. I could use some tips on what to look for on the EQ side, and how to work that in on iOS, with various speakers/interfaces, plus the EQ algorithms typically used. To say the least...... :)

Yeah, iOS is not for everyone. Android is a good OS, but the audio subsystem is known to have certain issues, which may be getting addressed in Lollipop. Not sure. I'd like to experiment with it a bit more.

Concerning iOS, in general, for audio: iOS really has a decade and half of development behind it on the audio side (considering that it was a branch off of OS X), so the audio engine is solid.
I look at iOS as a great tool for prototyping different software filters and effects.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:10 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Simple yes, cheap no. I just use a roland GI-20 with midi stick. Gk-2 is what I have, but if i am not mistaken it is almost the exact same besides cosmetics. Correct me if I'm wrong tho!
Signal path Roland GI-20 > midi out into Alesis iPad dock 2's midi in.
I don't mean to insult your intelligence here so thats just a lil info.

Oh, and rob U r so in. Basically computer fx as well so your a champ, Lets do this and make it fun. You a 10 stringer or what brah?

Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:25 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Oceans wrote:
You a 10 stringer or what brah?

I ride a Railboard, brah.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:04 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Oceans wrote:
Simple yes, cheap no. I just use a roland GI-20 with midi stick. Gk-2 is what I have, but if i am not mistaken it is almost the exact same besides cosmetics. Correct me if I'm wrong tho!
Signal path Roland GI-20 > midi out into Alesis iPad dock 2's midi in.
I don't mean to insult your intelligence here so thats just a lil info.

Oh, and rob U r so in. Basically computer fx as well so your a champ, Lets do this and make it fun. You a 10 stringer or what brah?

Man, yeah, the Roland GI-20 makes sense. I remember reading about this unit a bit, but I knew it was no longer in production. So, I went with the Boss GP10, mainly, because I was looking at buying something new and at a lower price. Now that i am over that, I think I may locate a Roland GI-20, since I can see using the GP10's effects for bass, using the Roland GI-20 on the melody. I may look around to see if the GP10 has a companion iOS app, as well. Thanks very much for the info!

Keep us posted on the show, etc. : )

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:28 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Railboardin brah! I'm jealous, its sick huh. Surfing the harmonic waves.

And to VT1997: If borrowing my gi-20 is needed let me know. For real, I don't know if they are hard to grab or got pricy. I can't sell, but a borrow for sure man. Stay a team you know...

Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:07 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

When I first got an iPad I wanted to run my Stick thru it thinking it would be cool to have portable processing. The glitching and such turned me off.

Fast forward a while and I got an iPad 4... still noticed the same issues. Basically I was running it into Multitrack DAW, Auria, etc. Just wanted 2 channels (one for each side) with reverb/delay, a bit of compression and some EQ.

Anyone doing something similar, successfully?

[color=#0000CC]http://www.ambientstickist.com

Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:31 am