It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 pm

Boss ME-25 vs. Zoom G3X 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Boss ME-25 vs. Zoom G3X
Hi, everyone.

I'm looking for thoughts on these two multi-effects units: the Boss ME-25 and the Zoom G3X. Has anyone done a direct comparison? What are some thoughts about either one? I'm looking for something in that price range for a quick setup rig.

Thanks,

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Last edited by EricTheGray on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:32 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Boss ME-25 vs. Zoom G3X
I have no idea about the Boss ME-25.

But I've used the Zoom G3X on the melody side of my Stick for quite a long time now, after having used a Zoom G2.1u for many years.

Really good gear. Simple to program. Sounds good. Very reliable.

Highly recommendable.

Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:51 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I love the layout of my Zoom G3, I use an external foot pedal with it as I bought it before the G3X came out. Each footswitch acts like an individual stomp box. Never cared for any of Boss's multi effects, too much scrolling through menus. But based on the Boss video, looks like some really nice amp sounds for guitar. I run my electric through the G3 into a QSC K12, there's several that have the sounds I'm looking for, I do not own a standard guitar amp as the result. I can't tell from the Boss website, but can the three pedals be used as three individual stompboxes like the Zoom can? I see what looks like a 12-position selector switch on it. Bending over to do more switching doesn't appeal to me if that's the case. With the Zoom pedal you actually can put six effects in one patch and adjust which three you want to be turned on and off with each footswitch. Some of the effects choices are combination effects so depending on what you setup, you can achieve more than six effects in a patch.

I'm thinking the Boss is OK for those that can setup an effects chain an not require a lot of "stomping" when using it. Both also have the convenience of using batteries which I like.

I was considering getting Zoom's flagship model with the tube in it. I've read if you replaced the Chinese tube it comes with, with something like a SOVTEK or similar, you get even more realistic tube-amp sounds.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:45 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I've never used the Boss, but I love my G3 (and B3 for the bass side). I generally set up a patch for each side of the Stick to get my favorite stick sound and then leave it static (except for tapping tempo). I use amp models, not to achieve a particular amp sound, but as subtle effects to fatten the sound (the B3 is especially great for this on the bass side).

One thing to be aware of. The factory preset patches are all way overblown for the Stick. Everything sounded much better after dialling back all the effect settings.

Marty

Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:47 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Boss ME-25 vs. Zoom G3X
Zoom G3x
Marty6126 wrote:
The factory preset patches are all way overblown for the Stick. Everything sounded much better after dialling back all the effect settings.

Marty

+1

Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Marty6126 wrote:
I've never used the Boss, but I love my G3 (and B3 for the bass side). I generally set up a patch for each side of the Stick to get my favorite stick sound and then leave it static (except for tapping tempo). I use amp models, not to achieve a particular amp sound, but as subtle effects to fatten the sound (the B3 is especially great for this on the bass side).

One thing to be aware of. The factory preset patches are all way overblown for the Stick. Everything sounded much better after dialling back all the effect settings.

Marty

Beware of the dreaded "Bomber" effect. When buying a Zoom pedal and playing it for the first time, keep your amp's volume real low. I was lucky not to break any windows :lol:

Graphite Grand Stick MR
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:12 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm in the process of trying both of these. First, I have the Boss ME-25. It's actually quite nice when you figure out how to program it. It does not have the concept of modeling individual pedals like the G3. It has a set of effects in a chain and you turn each one on or off and adjust their parameters. You can then save up to 60 patches.

One misconception I'd like to clear up that not everyone knows is that it does have very good amp simulation. However, it's not on by default. The designers must have assumed that you would be plugging it into your amp and not a PA or recording mixer directly. Turning the amp simulation on is pretty goofy, you have to plug headphones into the headphone jack. They did this so you would have the sim when you were practicing. However, the main outputs are still fully active and the good sim sound is there. With some of the patches, the difference between the headphones plugged in or not is pretty dramatic. I almost always preferred the tone with the amp simulation turned on through my powered PA speakers.

What I like:

The quality of the effects is really good. The delays, distortions, reverb, and amps all sound better than I have had before.

One feature I absolutely love is its Freeze feature. The main Freeze pedal on the market is the Electro-Harminix and I've seen some Stick players use it, like Bob Culbertson. The Freeze feature in the ME-25 is better. It is used with the expression pedal which gives it another dimension. You freeze a sound by pressing your heel down on the expression pedal. Then you can vary the volume of the frozen sound with the pedal. I can see lots of times where this would be awesome. The E-H Freeze pedal goes for $125. The ME-25 is $199. Frankly, I could see getting the Boss just for the Freeze feature alone. If you think of it as a freeze pedal where you can have effects on the frozen tone this would not be outrageous.

The ME-25 is small and rugged and has a reputation for running a long time on a set of batteries. With the way I would use it I think it would last forever.

What I didn't like and why I'm returning it.

Some don't like this unit because it's hard to program. I did not find that to be true if you read the directions and follow them. What I don't like is the number of foot switches. It has 60 patches and you can move up or down the list of them with two foot switches. That's it. If does not have the concept of banks, each with a set of patches. If you only use a few patches in a performance that might be fine. But, if you want a different set of patches for different tunes then this just won't work well.

The unit does not come with a power supply. You have to purchase that separately and they appear to be hard to find. Sheesh, that seems pretty basic. I guess they figure we all really want to burn through batteries. You turn the ME-25 on by plugging in the input cord. I don't like that, I want to leave my rig set up and turned on in my office next to me so I can just grab my Stick and play at any moment. That's the one part I miss about playing acoustic guitar and I make up for it by leaving everything on with the volume turned down.

The ME-25 does not have a Class Compliant USB interface and needs custom drivers. For the few of you who might not know what this means I'll explain. There is a common design for USB interfaces and most modern computers, like Macs, have the drivers for it built in to the operating system. This common system is called, "Class Compliance". More and more hardware systems are at least conforming to it. Some will have extra, non-standard, features that need custom software. But, you can still use it without those drivers. The ME-25 can only be used with my computer with Boss's custom USB drivers and I won't risk installing them on my main laptop. I'm a software developer and I avoid installing anything that has the slightest possibility of destabilizing my computer.

It has one input. It can only be used for the melody side of my Stick. I would like a little bass amp modeling sometimes on the bass side and that means a another unit. I'm trying to be really simple.

The last and biggest reason it's going back is that it's not enough. It does not give me enough more than the chorus pedal and mixer with cheap reverb I have now. It would give me the Freeze feature, delays, and distorted lead guitar tone. Those are just not that important to me. There are things I would like to have, like shimmer reverb, it just can't do.

Conclusion

I will probably try the G3X but I might not bother. I don't think it will give me enough either. What I really want appears to be either too expensive for my current and future budgets or is impractical for frequent live performances. I'm very much an amateur musician with one kid in college and another just starting High School. Any significant music investment will go to the second Stick I would like to have. I guess I'll have to make music the old-fashinioned way, with just my fingers. :)

Thanks,

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Last edited by EricTheGray on Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Good review Eric, sounds like Boss still uses what i consider a "non-musical" setup. I was disappointed with Zoom at the NAMM show, most of the pedals they showed off were the smaller programmable pedals, and the one I spoke of I'm interested in was not there. They were mostly promoting new cameras and hand-held recording devices.

One of the regular Stick players that comes out to Oz's every month uses a mall Line 6 POD that I believe has dual inputs. He gets some nice sounds out of it. I once had an earlier version of it, wasn't too bad, but the amp simulators I did not like on my guitar. Those PODs usually resell used dirt cheap. If you find a good one in used condition that might give you more bang for your buck to use for a Stick. The one John has is a dark grey/black in color.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:44 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

That is an excellent review, Eric! You have given me an idea, which I will share once it is fully formed.

Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:08 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:27 am