It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 am

Inexpensive multi effects pedal 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Inexpensive multi effects pedal
My wife got me a Zoom G1Xon pedal for Christmas. It's very inexpensive (about $70) and sounds amazing. 100 presets, of which about 40 are sounds I will use. Which probably means I won't come close to using that many, but they are there if the need arises.

The plugin I have used for distortion (Amplitube) probably has enough options to get me to a good distortion sound, but I have only gotten close, never quite all the way to the sound in my head.

The reason I mention that is the new pedal not only gets me there, but gets me there with several great variations from which to choose.

And I haven't even explored the looper yet!

Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:34 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Inexpensive multi effects pedal
Wow, thanks for the tip! I just checked this out on Sweet Water, and I have to say that this is just what I was looking for. I had been thinking about the Line6 HD500X (and still will), but this Zoom model looks like a great beginning effects box. I simply want a way to have expression and effects on the melody side with less effects on the bass side.

Chris

Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:06 am
Contributor
Contributor

....Plus, there is a Zoom B1Xon model for bass. Sweet!

Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:14 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Hi,

I use G1Xon and B1Xon pedals too :) Mostly I play directly into amps/headphones, for I like clean stickup sound, but I occasionally use my Zooms for an overdriven or a heavily-reverbered sound, or for heavier or synthy bass.

Though I think I've seen these pedals advertised as mono, they actually have stereo output, so using Y-cabel you can get some stereo effects, like rotary cabinet, stereo delay, etc.

I had Pod HD500 previously, and, frankly, I prefer Zoom G1on sounds over it. Zoom has its drawbacks though - no patch edit/sync/backup using PC, less options, no tap tempo (this is bad, I have no idea why hadn't they implement such a basic function), but it still wins considering the price.

Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Yes, I would love to try out the HD500X, or any of the Fractal Audio boxes. Probably one day I will. But like FuzzyJammer said, the price on the Zoom wins.

Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:40 am
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys. Honestly, the Line6 HD500, Fractal, or the Kemper (especially those last two) are not in my budget, especially when I do not have a paying gig. I had truly only thought about the Line6, but it seemed a bit much for now. If I ever started playing live where I needed to switch scenes, etc. then I might go for a Line6 or Fractal. A guitarist I jam with swears by the Fractal and Kemper (and owns them both), but there's no immediate need for me.

I sincerely appreciate the info on the Zoom B1/G1 - I think I may buy them both! :D

Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:59 am
Contributor
Contributor

FuzzyJammer wrote:
Hi,

I use G1Xon and B1Xon pedals too :) Mostly I play directly into amps/headphones, for I like clean stickup sound, but I occasionally use my Zooms for an overdriven or a heavily-reverbered sound, or for heavier or synthy bass.

Though I think I've seen these pedals advertised as mono, they actually have stereo output, so using Y-cabel you can get some stereo effects, like rotary cabinet, stereo delay, etc.

I had Pod HD500 previously, and, frankly, I prefer Zoom G1on sounds over it. Zoom has its drawbacks though - no patch edit/sync/backup using PC, less options, no tap tempo (this is bad, I have no idea why hadn't they implement such a basic function), but it still wins considering the price.

It's good that you have been able to compare the Line6 to the Zoom models. I like the Line6 for its dual input/output, to separate the bass/melody on the Stick, but I would almost prefer taking the bass and melody thru separate chains, completely. I have only begun to buy accessories for the Stick (I have only owned mine for three weeks), so I have much to explore.....so far I love the variety of tones coming from the PASV-4 pickup!

Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:04 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm currently using two Zoom pedals while I save for an AxxeFX (might be a while).
For the money, these things are amazing, and have loads of usable sounds.
I have an MS-60B for the bass side, and an MS-100BT for the melody side, once you get used to them they're more versatile than they first seem. Nice small footprint too, so they don't take up much space :D

-Marc-

Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:56 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

VT1997 wrote:
I do not have a paying gig. [...] If I ever started playing live...

Why buy effects units when you can buy an audio interface and get your effects from a DAW? This will also allow you to record, mix, and master Stick instrumentals. Depending on your operating system and the interface's driver, you can use that for Skype, Google+, and StageIt.

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Robstafarian wrote:
Why buy effects units when you can buy an audio interface and get your effects from a DAW?

One word: Latency. (Until the day it is no longer an issue.)
Point 2: I don't want to haul around a laptop.
Point 3: Do DAW's permit you to very easily layer effects on the fly, without having to mess with a keyboard or mouse?

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:49 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery