It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:22 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 New busking amp tested 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: New busking amp tested
Agree on all counts Randy, just trying this in stereo with my other (8 times more expensive) amp, I'm very happy with the spread. Considering the quality of portable battery powered TC or Zoom effects available, the potential for a great sounding, self contained busking/small gig setup is available on a very modest budget. Just plugged in a Strymon Timeline, and...drool.

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:55 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

BTW you might already be doing this - are you running a full stereo setup i.e. both sides into both amps, as opposed to bass L /melody R?

Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:59 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

adde65 wrote:
BTW you might already be doing this - are you running a full stereo setup i.e. both sides into both amps, as opposed to bass L /melody R?

Yes. Bass into left and melody into right.

I have TC's Trinity 2 reverb, Flashback delay and Corona Chorus. All are stereo. I do currently have dedicated compressor and overdrive pedals for each side. But the TC units are last in the chain so are blending the signals quite nicely between the 2 Behringers.

Side note: Just last week, I was ready to go down a mono path. Had a setup (using these pedals) that worked adequately with the Street Cube EX. Funny how things can change quickly. Street Cube EX was sent back to Sweetwater today. :)

Rosewood Alto #5764

Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:12 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Kind of a side question, but I'll ask it anyway :)

Re those TC stereo pedals, what exactly does "stereo" mean here? Do they process the two channels slightly differently? And if so, is that true for all the different modes? Like for instance, I could see how Ping Pong on the Flashback would work in stereo, but not clear what it would mean in other modes. Thanks

/rick

Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:34 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Rick - Good question on the Flashback. I actually haven't tried that since getting two Behringers and configuring my pedalboard for stereo. I can speak to the reverbs though. They tend to blend the left/right channels a bit. Stereo separation is still present, but the blend makes the mix more interesting to listen to. I'll check on the Flashback and let you know.

Rosewood Alto #5764

Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:09 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks. One of the things I'm trying to wrap my head around is the application of Stick with a pair of these Behringers. So you could run bass and melody to different channels in the reverb pedal and then out to different amps, so that bass comes out one side and melody the other. You could also sum the channels first, going into the pedal, and then send the stereo outputs from the pedal to either side. So bass/melody mixed in both Behringers, but maybe "different" in each side depending on what the pedal does with the two channels. I'm curious what people who run true stereo rigs like this with a Stick actually do.

/rick

Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:25 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Rick - You're describing some pretty fancy signal processing. It would be easy to model this in Guitar Rig, but you'd need a bunch of pedals and switches to make it happen with physical pedals.

That said, I really like how TC's reverbs blend the stereo signal. As I mentioned, you can still hear the separation, but the mix adds a nice ambiance.

Oh, I checked the Flashback delay. The ping-pong is the only one of the stock delays the process to both channels. Others separate to bass and melody.

There may be some TonePrint patches that make use of the ping-pong effect in a unique manner.

Rosewood Alto #5764

Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:02 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

adde65 wrote:
(As a side note, several friends of mine who use the Roland KC and BA amps, have stopped using AA batteries with them and bought external SLA batteries with an inverter. The main reason is a noticeable drop in volume after 1-2 hours use).

That's about the only fault I can see with my Roland ba 330. The output is quite a bit less with rechargeable aa batteries as they are lower voltage than the disposable ones and you end up with 9v instead of 12v. And they drop charge fairly quickly.

If you find the correct plug 4 pin xlr it runs straight from a 12v battery without an inverter, saving a bit more juice.

Just adding to the busking amp knowledgebase...

By the way Andy, it was great to have a chat in the mall a couple Sundays ago. The album is beautiful, and the AER sounds superb in person.

Sorry for the hijack, back to regular programming......

Cheers,

Tim

Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

RickC wrote:
Thanks. One of the things I'm trying to wrap my head around is the application of Stick with a pair of these Behringers. So you could run bass and melody to different channels in the reverb pedal and then out to different amps, so that bass comes out one side and melody the other. You could also sum the channels first, going into the pedal, and then send the stereo outputs from the pedal to either side. So bass/melody mixed in both Behringers, but maybe "different" in each side depending on what the pedal does with the two channels. I'm curious what people who run true stereo rigs like this with a Stick actually do.

Running separate cabs gets tricky very quickly when it comes to placement and room acoustics. The best solution for using two cabs is to align them vertically, either sending them both the same signal or sending the bass signal to the bottom one. With those Behringers, you would probably have to lay them on their sides in order to align the tweeters vertically.

Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:13 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hey Tim, it was great talking to you and seeing your white Polycarb!

Re. the stereo thing.
My intention with the stereo setup is to run dual signals from the bass side (via a stereo pedal) to both L and R speakers, and the same with the treble signal i.e. NOT bass to one speaker, and treble to the other. I'm not really a fan of separate amps for bass/highs. I'm going for a spread of the full Stick sound. To my mind this setup is also easier to control.

Cheers,
Andy

Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:11 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next