It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

DIY DBro: -THE "HOLDER"! 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post DIY DBro: -THE "HOLDER"!
Hi!
I am giving away this design to all of you because I just want you to all be better players.

If you are comfortable, you will want to play more. The “holder” helps me play my 3 hour sets without a neck strap and without a break. I hope it will help you too!

I know the pioneering spirit of our members with DIY, as seen by the varied and ingenious Stick Stands. Plus with money being tight, this can be put together for close to $5. No kidding

Almost 10 years ago, I worked with a design engineer to come up with a way to hold the Stick securely and in the proper height and at the correct playing angle.

Greg was very helpful and gave sage advice on getting the angle correct for playing and having the 2nd fret hit at the shoulder by making the “holder” dip. Over the last 10 years some mods were made to make it more durable and the paddles were lengthened slightly to accommodate people who sit like Burt Reynolds. :D

Just download the JPG, trace it on a hobby board, cut it out, drill two holes, put your screws in ( putty if you’re so fancy, everybody knows) and a little wood glue. Make sure you “comfort curve” the edges by sanding them off and rounding the corners. Wood can get as sharp as a razor when it is cut. And that’s all folks! It slips on and off in seconds
and supports the belt hook and weighs under one pound.

I've made them over the years for many famous Stickists on this forum. No name dropping out of respect.

I hope you enjoy it and it makes you the player you want to be!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckkePqASV4c[/youtube]

take care,
Dave Brosky "DBro"

SPOILER ALERT: NO STICKS WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS VIDEO- JUST A LITTLE HOLLYWOOD MAGIC! if I get enough PMs I'll tell you how the illusion was done!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: DIY DBro: -THE "HOLDER"!
Interesting, thanks for posting.

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:27 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Is there any chance of getting the template as a PDF? It would be terrible to undertake the project only to have the scale wrong.

Last edited by Robstafarian on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:58 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Entertaining and informative Dbro! Sure to be a classic!

Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

That's GOLD Dave! GOLD!

Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Double post. Move along

Last edited by AndyJPro on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:37 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Dave, you are definitely cooking :)

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:46 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Well done Dave. Clearly best served HOT!
I have just designed and made my own playing stand (see photo attached). I did this because I have bi-focal glasses (poor close-up vision) and no matter how I adjusted the shoulder strap, I could not focus on the lowest 6 or so frets. With a stand, I can move to where I can see the lowest frets. Once I have established the muscle memory, hopefully, I will be able to play without looking. I have promised some fellow Aussie Stick players that I will produce drawings. When I have done that, I will post here.
Cheers,
Simon

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Padauk 10 string #5330
Baritone Melody

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:41 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

A funny an cool vid Dave... Loved the Stick-Drop and 'Baking with Brosky'.

I play mostly in a sitting down, always have, be it a guitar, piano, Stick, didge or a comb with a piece of toilet paper wrapped round it.

Although not one of the group mentioned in Dave's post, I've been using one of these rests for a little over a year now, so here's an assessment:

First off, when you use one of these to play seated you can forget its there and just how comfortable it is. As some of you know I have a Wenge 12-string Grand. Not a Polycarb, but no lightweight either! Prior to this I was using a drumstick and then a modified piece of chair leg, both did the job but the Stick was held at an odd angle( for me), and the thinness of the bits of wood created some discomfort on the top of the thighs after you'd been playing for a short while. Not to mention that both required the use of the shoulder strap as your balancing the instrument on what is essentially a narrow pivot point (two actually).

At first glance the design is so simple and elegant that it belays an extraordinary achievement by Dbro.

The flat centre section utilises the entire belt hook to support and align the Stick. The supporting load is carried across the whole top of the hook in the same way it was designed for when using it on a belt while standing up. This of course is the same as using a drumstick, chair leg or toilet plunger handle.
The depth of the centre section supplies stability as this extends the full length of the hooks structure and is not concentrated on one or two points. It spreads the torque (twisting force) to the belt hook's frame, which as some of us know will snap if put under too much strain.

The flat thigh 'paddles' are the second part of the stability equation. The obvious benefit of these is is they spread the load over a wider area on the contact points on top of your legs and thereby reduces pressure points. It also adds vertical stability that you don't get with drumstick like appendages.

I also like the fact that I'm not bolting something to my $3000 Stick.

The cost, in my case, was a big fat zero! D'bro sent me a .pdf template and I made it out of one of my wife's plastic ½ inch cutting boards. Total time 2 hours utilizing an old hacksaw, a file and a couple of sheets of 400gr sandpaper. Wood is more elegant, but as an engineer this does the job perfectly for me. That's it in my avatar pic BTW.

Summing up! It's comfortable, secure, simple and painless, to your body, Stick and wallet.

Cheers,
Eric

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:50 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

PT Barnum or Vegomatic? Who-da-thunk; I'd like mine with pralines and the the wood putty on the side :twisted: ...

~j~
.~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:08 am