It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 DIY DBro: -THE "HOLDER"! 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: DIY DBro: -THE "HOLDER"!
lminor7 wrote:
I see that lickmydoo apologized for resurrecting this thread. Being unfamiliar with this forum's culture I hope I'm not transgressing by doing the same thing. However!

After so much experimentation and purchasing all kinds of bibs and bobs to use as a lap stand, I must thank DBro for his marvelous simple solution to this problem and also for the fun I had watching the video :lol:

I made an experimental 'first try' using a scrap of finished wood I had around the house. Even though I have no coping saw, it came out great and as useful a lap stand as advertised. This means a lot to me as I'm still a nooob and am not used to this fret board. Fewer distractions means more ability to concentrate on learning this sublime instrument. I'm posting pics of my first attempt, and again THANK YOU for your help. It will make me a better player.

Cheers,
Harry

Sweet, Harry! Styling! The coping saw takes off those square edges at the bottom and makes 'em all roundy. But it's purely an aesthetic thing--as long as they aren't jabbing your thighs. Unless that's a feature for you, not a bug. :)

There's no rules against resurrecting old threads! There's really no rules at all that I'm aware of, although I would not recommend starting any posting with "Another reason why Rush sucks..." because Rush rules! and has many fans and followers around here. Unless you're in the "The Lounge" where we talk about politics, and fractals (mainly me!), and conspiracy theories, and alien abduction and whatnot, and then I might agree with you that Rush sucks (the Limbaugh kind)...

EarthGene once said (like last week) that every new Stickist has to make their own DBro Holder, just as a young padawan Jedi must make their own lightsaber. And then must post it here with your Stick for all to marvel at and glory over.

Well done, sir! Rocking it out!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I swear my only regret with my Stick is not picking turquoise inlays...

Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Wicher wrote:
Well done Dave. Clearly best served HOT!
I have just designed and made my own playing stand (see photo attached). I did this because I have bi-focal glasses (poor close-up vision) and no matter how I adjusted the shoulder strap, I could not focus on the lowest 6 or so frets. With a stand, I can move to where I can see the lowest frets. Once I have established the muscle memory, hopefully, I will be able to play without looking. I have promised some fellow Aussie Stick players that I will produce drawings. When I have done that, I will post here.
Cheers,
Simon

I have the same vision issue when playing the stick standing with the strap and belt hook. I have mostly played seated which seems to be a bit better but i miss being able to play standing up especially when playing live. I have an NS cello and always play it on its stand which is great because i can move around to get the best position. I'm going to cobble something together like simon has done except I'm going to use an old Ludwig heavy duty cymbal stand..
.PS... i don't think I'll ever be able to play without looking!. :D

10 string Nickle Plasma Railboard #6974 MR tuning.

http://www.randomfaktor.com

Sat May 04, 2019 1:28 am

With thanks to Dbro, attached is photo of my mini ‘production run’ of four of his terrific Lap Stands (as I seem to call them). One is Ash, one Padauk to match my SG12, one in very light Bass Wood (which will be painted) and one hybrid from the leftover wood. I thought they looked so cool all lined up that I thought I would share.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:42 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Great video! You had me in the first 19 seconds. It looks exactly like the one I have. It seems like the previous owner of my polycarb went to the future and watched your video.

Support: bitcoin:bc1qedfg9z55ux3tlnf7qnnu3vggv8vant604dasye?message=Donate

http://www.instagram.com/waltschwarzkopf

Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:17 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

paigan0 wrote:
EarthGene once said (like last week) that every new Stickist has to make their own DBro Holder, just as a young padawan Jedi must make their own lightsaber. And then must post it here

Here's my contribution to the archive of DBro inspired lap bars.

Nothing fancy, just an offcut of ply I happened to have. I slightly simplified the outline of the central part, and added a hole for a loop in one of the side pieces so I can hang it from a hook when not in use.

Attachment:
DSCF7881_B_BRO_Inspired_lap_bar.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup UnXd Para 4ths
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 UnXd Para 4ths
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 UnXd Para 4ths

Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:04 am

Here's my take on this. I had a nice figured piece of bubinga laying around, and some purpleheart scraps, so I threw this together. My black Railboard has rust accents, so this should go well with it,\.

Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:34 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hey Random I like that one the best! Maybe some more pics and/or details?
(right now I have timbales sticks, duct tape, and pool noodles)

Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:55 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I'm not in the same state as the holder right now, so no new pics until I return. I had a 1" thick bubinga board and some scrap purpleheart. I cut 3 pieces of the board and two small purpleheart strips, and glued those together to make a 4" wide striped board. I cut that into two pieces to serve as the lap boards. The center was cut from the same bubinga piece. I used a router to make the thinner section that holds the Stick clamp, and sanded the edges round on everything. I then sanded the pieces through successive grits up to 320 grit. I drilled two holes into each lap board and matching holes in the center board, then used dowels and glue to faster them together. I finished it with General Finishes' "Arm-R-Seal" in satin. I used a total of 4 coats, lightly sanding with 400 grit between the first few and some fine steel wool before the last.

I'm working on a matching piece for a standing mount. There I will probably use bubinga, purpleheart and some zebra wood (yellow with black stripes) and wenge (very dark brow with fine black flecks) just for the fun of it. I have a metal tripod instrument stand for the base. I made a nice piece of those woods, but did not like the look and scrapped it. I'll post pics when I figure out what I really want.

Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:27 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Yeah thankyou. I'm intrigued by thinking "multi-functionality". Anything to make my life less painful (after the build). Mine will be cheap oak stock from Lowes.

Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6