It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

Post Your Rig! 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Post Your Rig!
88persuader wrote:
newtapper wrote:
HELP!
I'm new to tapping, just bought a good used Stick and wonder what's the best rig for starters - I'm on a budget (who isn't). I'll only be playing solo at home for now, so I don't need much, but would like the best possible sound for my new purchase. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
And to Howard....where on Feb 16 are you playing?

You'll get 100000 different opinions but MINE is get a small Roland or similar keyboard amp with at least 2 channels. Built in reverb would be nice.

I agree with 88. I was playing my Stick through my school's little Crate keyboard amp today (not sure the model but I know it's brand new and 50 watts) and it sounded REALLY nice. It had built in reverb too. Check it out. It probably isn't that much dough.

Solo Sounds | Southern Panhandle - Improg Sounds | #5527 (Dark Bamboo, Deep Baritone Melody, Stickup)

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:52 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I've just purchased Apple's Logic Studio. I have it installed on my Intel Mac mini (1.6 CoreDuo/2GB RAM) using MainStage with a PreSonus Firebox on the front end. This is currently going into an SWR California Blond (not the lightest amp, but plenty of oomph).

I think the Firebox may have a AD/DA converter on one of the inputs (a high-pitched purring going on), but otherwise I'm growing to be very happy with this configuration.

MainStage is a live performance app that lets you set up Patch Lists and name your patches.

My biggest concern with this set up was about how I would change patches. I plugged in my old MIDI foot controller (Crate DXFC) and MainStage automatically sensed it. I was able to easily map which pedal called up each patch.

All of the patches are kept in memory so there are no interruptions when you switch from patch to another (reverb tails, delay taps, etc., all keep going while you are using another patch).

I haven't tried it yet, but I may be able to use the Mac mini without a display (set MainStage as my Startup app). The Firebox and the Mac mini have about the same footprint, so they could fit side-by-side in a single rack space. Or, I could just carry them in an SLR camera bag and set them up on top of my amp. Or, I could just load this onto my PowerBook (not as much horsepower as the newer mini though).

Here is a pic of my current layout.

Take care,

Paul

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

AI Coda with GT-6B on the Bass loop and the GT-8 in the melody. Most of the time just through the sweet sweet AI

Farmy

Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:57 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Finally, here's mine (the exact opposite to Paul's) ;)

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/img/membres/normal/1/2/123539.jpg

And with the Stick

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/img/membres/normal/1/2/123540.jpg

Feeding a keyboard amp from Roland.

Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Currently I'm running through a rig of a GK bass stack 115GLX-II + 210GLX through my old Peavy Mark IV head
(we have a lot of years together) with a Behringer MIC200 preamp (set for keyboards)and a Digitech BP80. :mrgreen:
This is my main Stick sound.

For visual-sound sculpture to promote a healthy dose of synaesthesia,
I have a line out with home made channel switching to,
1) An Alesis Quadraverb using any of 6 custom tones, all processed without any clean signal output, stereo to a
Peavy KB15 and a Peavy KB1 set wide apart for a stereo wash.
2)Various pedal effects into a Behringer KX1200. *This is were I'm thinking I'll put in a Mooger Fooger. I'm not sure
if its going to be a Bass MuRF or a Midi MuRF.*
I have some other random pedals through this amp including a
DigiTech Jamman looper that I am learning to use. I will probably dump everything but the Jamman for the MuRF. :geek:

Using the home made channel switching, I can switch through the various combinations of GK and KB's or
GK and KX1200, KB's and KX1200 or any single amp sound. With a little Behringer Eurorack UB1204FX 8 channel
mixer to premix any sound if I need to go through a P.A. (Haven't had to yet, but always a Plan B) :ugeek:
All strung together in a mass of wires that a drummer I am working with dubbed "The Tesla Coil"!
I'm thinking a MuRF will fit right in there.

My small rig is the KX1200 with Mic200 and BP80. The Quadraverb and Jamman (and whatever else is in
"The Tesla Coil"
that day) are stereo through the KB15 and another channel of the KX1200.

<8{D>

Shedua, #2080, 10-String, Dual Bass Reciprocal, (medium guage 1-5, heavy guage 6-10), PAS-V 4, Silver and Black tuners, Paua inlays.

Last edited by tyromancer on Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:56 am, edited 8 times in total.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:53 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Attachment:
pedalboard.jpg

This is my live pedalboard for my Alto (and soon to be SG12 8-) . Both sides of the Alto go to an M-Audio preamp before splitting into their different effects. The melody side hits the TC Nova reverb and Boss ME-50 for distortion and wah, and a Line6 Echo Park delay. The bass also goes through the TC and Line6, but also gets some treatment from the Eventide PitchFactor for swells and pad-like effects (this pedal rules). After that, the two sides get summed to mono and hit a BBE Sonic Maximizer pedal before going to the Fishman SoloAmp. Sometimes I'll keep it stereo if I need a bigger spread to the sound; depends on the gig. There is also a Boss RC-2 looper on the board, but I don't use it live. It's more like my "scratch pad" for writing and arranging.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.heartstringslive.com
http://www.youtube.com/tapper1472

"With one note you can shatter a thousand notes" - Carlos Santana

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

My DAW / Practise Chapman Stick gear:

Rane SP13 Stick-Preamp
2 DBX 160A Compressor
1 Lexicon MPX1
Motu 868 mkII FireWire Interface/Mixer (Cue-Mix by Motu)
Apple Studio Logic 9
iMac 24"

I can record / mix 6 Tracks of Stick:

1. Stick Bass Rane SP13 (Pure Signal)
2. Stick Melody Rane SP13 (Pure Signal)
3. Stick Bass Rane SP13 + DBX 160A (Compresses Signal)
4. Stick Melody Rane SP13 + DBX 160A (Compresses Signal)
5. + 6. Left and Right Output Lexicon MPX 1 (Dual Mono or Mixed)

I don't use any EQ before Mixdown.

My Dream-Preamp is a pair of SPL TrackOne Channel-Strips. I use one for Electric-Bass...The best PreAmp I ever had!!!

Cheers

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler" AlbertEinstein

10 String Rosewood (Stickup)
12 String Rosewood (PASV-4)
Classic Tuning (Medium Gauge)
2 Avalon U5
2 DBX 160A
Lexicon MPX1

Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:10 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

michaelpaffen wrote:
My DAW / Practise Chapman Stick gear:

Rane SP13 Stick-Preamp
2 DBX 160A Compressor
1 Lexicon MPX1
Motu 868 mkII FireWire Interface/Mixer (Cue-Mix by Motu)
Apple Studio Logic 9
iMac 24"

I can record / mix 6 Tracks of Stick:

1. Stick Bass Rane SP13 (Pure Signal)
2. Stick Melody Rane SP13 (Pure Signal)
3. Stick Bass Rane SP13 + DBX 160A (Compresses Signal)
4. Stick Melody Rane SP13 + DBX 160A (Compresses Signal)
5. + 6. Left and Right Output Lexicon MPX 1 (Dual Mono or Mixed)

I don't use any EQ before Mixdown.

My Dream-Preamp is a pair of SPL TrackOne Channel-Strips. I use one for Electric-Bass...The best PreAmp I ever had!!!

Cheers

I have an AP13, a powered front end speaker and some effects but since I got Logic Express 9 it's all I use and need for playing at home and for recording. I plug the Stick directly into my Presonus Firewire project interface, turn on Logic Express 9 and off I go. Logic offers much more than I'll EVER need for Stick processing and if and when I use my Stick live I'll upgrade to the full "studio" program and use mainstage for all the live processing. Logic EXPRESS 9 doesn't include the program "mainstage" BUT if and when in the future I take the Stick out again for a live gig I'll upgrade to "Studio" so I can add Mainstage. Express is really the same as studio in regard to recording power but it's minus several extra plug ins and "jampacks" that come with Studio.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:27 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

heartstrings,

I see you have a "Tesla Coil" of your own. :mrgreen:
Aren't those BBE sonic maximizers sweet?!
I've been using the Jamman as a scratch pad
and I may use it for playback for some recorded
sound-FX and such. I only have one gigabyte on board (currently).

I love reading all of these.....

<8{D>

Shedua, #2080, 10-String, Dual Bass Reciprocal, (medium guage 1-5, heavy guage 6-10), PAS-V 4, Silver and Black tuners, Paua inlays.

Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:50 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Ray,

yeah, Logic 9 is Powerfull. Actually you don't need anything else but I am a bit old fashion and love my old rack mounted compressors, effects, PreAmps the knobs etc....I had this stuff way before Logic and it still sounds a bit better for my taste.

Well, having said that: if I would start these days, I would only use Logic.

Cheers

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler" AlbertEinstein

10 String Rosewood (Stickup)
12 String Rosewood (PASV-4)
Classic Tuning (Medium Gauge)
2 Avalon U5
2 DBX 160A
Lexicon MPX1

Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:34 am
Profile My Photo Gallery