It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:28 pm

Starting the Search for a Melody Side Amp 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Starting the Search for a Melody Side Amp
I am using one of the Line 6 HD500x processors as well Randy - I am a POD believer!

Just this last week, I finally conquered splitting the signal paths for both the melody and bass side - WOW! This is a whole separate post, but the power of having multiple amps to choose from is amazing, coupled with total isolation of each side is enlightening. The HD500x has a limited number of bass patches, but the Flip Top amp for the left hand has a perfect round sound for bass.

The HD500x took a while to understand, but was definitely a game changer for me. One can run headphones right into it, it can be used as a audio-digital converter, it has 2 signal paths for bass and melody and it's a single unit that weighs 18 lbs. I can run directly into the board at any gig.

Lazy? Maybe. Convenient? Definitely.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

All great ideas and there's lots of good gear these days. To my mind it breaks down to: Are you looking to play the role of a guitar and bass in a band? If so it's best to play thru a (probably solid state)bass amp and a (possibly tube)guitar amp. If you are looking to approach the Stick as one big pianistic instrument,perhaps played solo with that gleaming top end,rich mids and full clear lows and not necessarily in stereo,you might want a keyboard amp or mixer/powered speaker(s). As a recovering pedal steel player I find I have a closet full of steel guitar amps which happen to work perfectly for Stick because the 2 instruments share almost exactly the same sonic range. The best readily available and most inexpensive amps like that are made by Peavey. I have a Peavey Session 400 I bought used in 1990 and a 2002 Fender Steel King both of which sound amazing for Stick. Both are solid state,push 200 watts thru a high quality robust 15" speaker,parametric EQ,built-in compressor,FX send/returns,spring reverb and are in an open back combo format about the size of a Fender Twin Reverb. The Steel King has a lush 5 spring reverb that rivals any of my digital reverb units. Their only drawback is they're single channel so you'd need a small 2 channel mixer w/a stickup. On the used steel guitar amp market we're talking $350-$400 range and these things are built to withstand 20+ beer stained years in a rowdy honky-tonk.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:22 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thought I should add the Fender Twin IS the greatest guitar amp in the world IMHO. Miles used this in the Inclined and I was always pleased with the quality of tone and the abundance of headroom.

I should also add that the Yamaha G50-112 was my first guitar amp - and I still have it! Great frequency options on the amp as well as channel switching, decent reverb and a solid cabinet. 30 years laster that amp is still kicking ass.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:27 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I'm using a Bose L1 compact, a gr55 for the melody side and so far, i have been using a line6 pod x3 but about to replace that woth a zoom b3. The pod is just crap in terms of durability. I have barely taken it outside the house, one knob doesn't respond normally, a foot switch is almost broken and the switch under the expression pedal is not working anymore. Soundwise, it was ok. The zoom b3 is very promising so far, cool unit !

Cheers,
Bas

Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:18 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Luc, my vote would be for an all valve amp, like Greg uses. There's something about the sound that you don't get with solid state amps.
Unfortunately, they are more expensive, which is a shame, but you should definitely try one to see what you think.
Hope you find the sound you're looking for.

-Marc-

Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:10 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Luc how much money do you want to spend? Like most folks I am going to push my own gear and ask if you've tried a Fishman Soloamp? Dude, this amp kills........ a one stop solution.
But if you are set on two separate amps.........errrrr......I can't help you, 'cause I dont know and I'm low-fi.....

earthgene wrote:
Just this last week, I finally conquered splitting the signal paths for both the melody and bass side - WOW!

It was like parting the red sea when I got it figured..........(got help).......

cheers,
kev

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I have an Ampeg Portflex 350 and SVT-210AV cabinet from when I was all bass all the time. When I got my Stick, I got a Roland KC-150. My logic was as follows:

*Ampeg for bass side when I want to punch it (and both sides when I go back to DBR)
*Roland for melody side when I am rocking out at the local pub (it's plenty loud for a small venue)
*Roland for bass AND melody for practice, playing with others and small venue performance.

I love the KC-150. I'd have gotten the KC-350 but I don't have any roadies and I'm too old to move it myself. :ugeek:

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫
Tarara 10-String #6300 DBR
Black Railboard #6594 BM
♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:28 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I tried out the Fender Deluxe Reverb tonight. The best word I can use to describe the sound is "solid". I can see using it as a practice amp at low volume for both melody and bass sides. It doesn't get muddy sounding as I thought it might. The reverb beats most of the digital stuff I've tried.

This was with the Stickup.

I may just pull the trigger on the purchase. I've found that I don't have the patience to figure out computer-centric set ups. And this amp is pretty much plug-and-play. I didn't try the Tremolo effect, but I think I know what to expect there.

Good luck on your search.

Dave

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:38 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks, guys. The more I read, the more I see a common theme. :lol:
As a quick FYI, yeah, I'm pretty much sold on the separate bass amp concept for now, as I've got a great SWR SM500 head (Glenn Poorman's old amp) with a Carvin BR115 cabinet, and they sound just fantastic.
I'll save up for a Twin (new or lovingly used) or something similar. I suppose it'll be worth the wait.
I'll be getting into the whole multi-FX processors (Pod, Zoom, etc.) vs. individual units (pedal or rack mount) debate later, when concepts for such things finally start to coalesce in my head.
Thanks again!

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:25 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Luc wrote:
Thanks, guys. The more I read, the more I see a common theme. :lol:
As a quick FYI, yeah, I'm pretty much sold on the separate bass amp concept for now, as I've got a great SWR SM500 head (Glenn Poorman's old amp) with a Carvin BR115 cabinet, and they sound just fantastic.
I'll save up for a Twin (new or lovingly used) or something similar. I suppose it'll be worth the wait.
I'll be getting into the whole multi-FX processors (Pod, Zoom, etc.) vs. individual units (pedal or rack mount) debate later, when concepts for such things finally start to coalesce in my head.
Thanks again!
Luc, My only caveat against the twin is that it's really heavy. Make sure you get ont with the Jensen ceramic magnets. Some people like to put JBLs in the amp, but to me they sound too dark for The Stick.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery