It is currently Thu May 30, 2024 12:53 am

Cable question 

Post Cable question
I often play my Stick (which has a PASV-4 pickup module) in mono mode, going into a pedal board which then goes into my bass amp.

When playing in mono, is there an alternative to using the stereo cable that comes with the Stick and only using the red plug?

I've tried both a "normal" (TS) guitar cable and a TRS cable and neither worked. If I recall correctly, the normal guitar cable only picked up the bass side and not the melody, and the TRS cable didn't work at all.

Wenge 10-String Grand
PASV-4 Block
Matched reciprocal tuning, medium gauge

Sun May 26, 2019 2:42 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Cable question
Trs cable works through the sp13, then you can route either side to anything you want. they don't make it anymore, so you would have to find it used. Greg Howard has the step about.

If it bothers you that much, cut the red cable from the patch cord and tape it up.

Sun May 26, 2019 3:50 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The blue is mono. Red is bass. On everything I have anyway. One of the first things I learned blue is not bass. Unless I'm crazy. Which may be possible.

Sun May 26, 2019 3:54 pm

Hi!

You are not going crazy -- blue is mono/melody. I just got my colors crossed when I posted :-)

What's "the sp13"?

Wenge 10-String Grand
PASV-4 Block
Matched reciprocal tuning, medium gauge

Sun May 26, 2019 4:16 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I thought it is just like railboard mono mode which can work on normal TS cable
Learning something new everyday

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Sun May 26, 2019 4:41 pm
Contributor
Contributor

On the PASV-4 the mono signal is routed through the melody output, (the ring of the TRS jack) so you need to use a Stick-type cable. Because it is a passive circuit this works better than the sending it through the bass output, like the ACTV-2, which can use a regular TSguitar cable in mono. The filter and volume controls for the melody sides apply to both sets of pickups in mono. There is a trim-pot on the module to set the relative volume of the bass side to the melody side as well.

You can find out more about this on this page

http://www.stick.com/instruments/pickups/pasv4/

and in this video

Hope that helps.

Sun May 26, 2019 7:59 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Awesome stuff Mr. Howard.

There is also the Mod Duo. I would like to see a similar video on the Mod Duo, I think I have seen it once.

Although they both run on separate inputs, unlike like the rane sp13, which you can run the quarter inch TRS cable.

I'm still learning about effects routing and things, so I don't know much about anything, but I love the sp 13, and I'm contemplating the step about and or the mod Duo.

It seems the sp13 is more analog, than digital. The step about seems to have easy switching capabilities, and the mod Duo is more digital.
Hmmm so much to think about.

Mon May 27, 2019 11:16 am