It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:58 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Stick Cables 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Stick Cables
As far as cables go, I feel like I'm totally screwed when it comes to Stick. Right now, I use the GIGANTIC (repeat) Planet Waves Stereo to Dual Mono cable. The thing is built amazingly, but it's also huge, bulky, and heavy. I'm wondering if there's a skinnier version? I thought I recalled seeing a lot of the guys at the Ann Arbor Seminar with CBI (?) cables that looked a lot thinner.

I mean there's always the method of putting in a regular 1/4" cable a little bit more than half, but that's pretty risky and doesn't sound all too good.

And the million dollar question, does anyone know about the adapter that Darrell Havard uses (hopefully he'll chime in)? If you haven't seen it, it's a sort of adapter thing that works as follows:
Code:
1 Male end plugs into the Stick, and 2 Female jacks are attached to the other end.
You can plug 1 1/4" cable into one of them to make it mono (IIRC) or a 1/4" to each one to route to different pedals and such

If I could find that, I would be in business. I went to Radioshack and looked and thought I found what I was looking for. It ended up being the wrong thing so I returned it. Any insight?

Solo Sounds | Southern Panhandle - Improg Sounds | #5527 (Dark Bamboo, Deep Baritone Melody, Stickup)

Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:47 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Stick Cables
Petary791 wrote:
I thought I recalled seeing a lot of the guys at the Ann Arbor Seminar with CBI (?) cables that looked a lot thinner.

Hi Peter,

i really like the CBI cables. The two conductors are separated and each has its own sheilding. from my experience, they provide the most balanced and musical sound of any cable i've tried, even really expensive ones.

In a pinch you can get an "insert cable" from just about any music store.

Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi,

I haven't had much luck with my two Planet Waves cables. SE replaced the first one for me very quickly about a year ago, and I'm still waiting to hear back from them about replacing the replacement. It shorts out on me if I wriggle it around, which is supposed to be "impossible" with Planet Waves. Yes, I have been using it a lot, and I do curl my leads on an angle about 3" from the input on my Stick. But these cables are meant to withstand a lifetime of actual use, not just look good in the studio. Case in point: I'm still using a couple of "average" guitar cables I bought at West LA Music in 1990 and they have been through hell without failing me once.
Also found that the famous P.W. gold plating wears off and doesn't make a bit of difference to my sound. I will definitely look at the CBI cables based on Greg's advice.

Interestingly, the original "budget" lead I got with my Stick in 1999 is still going strong, as is a Radio Shack one I bought 5 years ago.

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:37 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I tried Planet Waves for another application, don't like them too much. The CBI "zip" cable is the way to go, the cable is molded together, so you only seperate them at your amps, effects, connections. Makes for a tidy setup. Also, I believe an angled plug is available, instrument end. I would have ordered one that way, cause I don't like the bend it takes when setting the stick down on a flat surface. But I haven't had any problems so far, so don't fix what aint broke. Here, the less expensive is the better, MHO.

Marty

Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:23 am
Contributor
Contributor

On my stick I had a Monster stereo cable which was pretty nice -- albeit annoying at times because it would tangle.

Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:57 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I've also just had a Planet Waves stereo-monox2 cable crap out on me, after minimal use, so I'm sending it back for a CBI. Lets hope that lasts many years longer! :)

EG

Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:22 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I'm actually using a single TRS male to dual mono female ADAPTER I picked up at the Guitar Center. It allows me to use regular long guitar cables connected the adapter. It was easier to get then a TRS to dual mono male cord. Something I could replace in a day without waiting for a shipment from California. I was thinking of trying something though because although this seems strong and works fine it's a monster ... maybe you guys can let me know what you think.

Do they make a TRS MALE to TRS FEMALE cord? Is a headphone extension cord the same as a TRS male to TRS female cable?

Again the reason I ask is my adapter set up is inexpensive and works great but it's a monster. I was thinking .... since the TRS part of the adapter is MALE I was wondering if I could run an "extension cord" (like a headphone extension cord) from my Stick-up (one nice light SINGLE cord) to the adapter and simply use two short mono cords from the adapter to the input devices. (effect units or sound board.) That would enable me to run a "normal" single cord from the Stick-up, still run stereo and keep the bulk of the weight and cord mess on the floor out of my way. (I don't have a Rane unit so a TRS to TRS (both male ends) cable won't help me. And I can't currently aford the Step-a-bout. Plus does the Step-A-Bout have a TRS input allowing stereo from a single cable?

ANYWAY ... any advice is appreciated. I'd like to know if a headphone extension cord is really a TRS set up or if they sell TRS male to TRS female cords before I waste money.

Thanks!

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I have one of the Planet Waves insert type cables and I 've stopped using it because it's so 'heavy duty'. I have an older SE supplied cable that is relatively thin and works great - not sure if it's CBI or not - the 1/4" plugs have a color band on each - one red and one blue. For general practicing I use HOSA insert cables.

I also use a regular 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS cable that goes into my rack where it breaks out into two mono cables to the input of my MOTU Traveler. I really like it the best out of all the cables - it's no bigger then a standard guitar cord. I don't know how sturdy it would be in a live situation - but I've put mine thru some serious use and it's survived.

Dave

[color=#0000CC]http://www.ambientstickist.com

Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:29 am
Contributor
Contributor

I recently got a CBI Right angle TRS to Dual Mono and I really like how it's working out. The right angle plug keeps things nice and tidy, although I kinda have to push it in the jack hard because it slides against my MIDI pickup.

Solo Sounds | Southern Panhandle - Improg Sounds | #5527 (Dark Bamboo, Deep Baritone Melody, Stickup)

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:37 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

To go on with my question about a TRS extension cable ... A stereo headphone extension cord IS a male to female TRS cord! I dug into my box-o-cords and found an old headphone extension cord. I tried plugging it's male end into my Stick-up, plugging the male end of my TRS to dual mono adapter into it's female end and the mono sends to my sound board and it worked AWESOME!!!! So I'm going to pick up another headphone extension cable (so I have a back up) and from now on I'll have a single, slim, light weight cable coming from my Stick and the adapter and dual mono cables can be on the floor near my sound board. No more extra clutter or extra weight caused by the adapter and dual mono cables hanging off my belt hook! VERY COOL and highly recommend to those with the same issues I've had.

I don't know how long the cord will last which is why I'm getting a back up. But even if i have to buy a new headphone extension cord every 6 months it's worth it to get that weight and clutter off my Stick. And headphone extension cords are not expensive!

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next