It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 7:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
 Rig Building: Does Gig Potential Matter? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Rig Building: Does Gig Potential Matter?
The SE order will be first, and everything else will come about a year later. I plan to look for a used Stick for at least three months before I put in my order because it also gives time for the Railboard to be released.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:40 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Minimal Cost Rig, Mark I
I have put together a list representing as cheap as I am willing to go. Given the way things are going, this may be the only way it happens. Spending any less would reduce the frequency response too much, I already lose seven semitones on the low end, and I will probably have to wait for a used Stick.

Stick Enterprises
  • 10-string Stick, Stickup
  • Padded Soft Case

Total, Without Shipping: $2,220

Carvin
  • Vintage 16 Guitar Combo Amplifier
  • BR515 Bass Combo Amplifier

Total, Shipped: $1,072

Grand Total, Estimated: $3,150

The total weight for this list is 88.5 pounds, split as follows:
  • a 31 pound guitar combo amplifier
  • a 57.5 pound bass combo amplifier

Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:02 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Having recently gotten my hopes up that I would actually get one of two affordable used Sticks this weekend, I revisited my notes regarding outboard equipment. Behold, my Outboard Gear List for 34″ Scale Classic-Tuned Stick:

Sweetwater
  • SKB 6U Portable Rack Case
  • Tech21 SansAmp RBI

Total, Shipped: $543.99

Mesa Boogie
  • Formula Preamp Footswitch (I already own the Formula Preamp)
  • Footswitch Cable

Total, Shipping Estimated: $131

Carvin
  • Power Conditioner
  • Stereo EQ
  • 50W per Channel Stereo Tube Power Amp
  • Vertical 2x12 Guitar Speaker Cabinet with Angled Top
  • 1x15 Bass Speaker Cabinet with Tweeter

Total, Shipped: $1,820

Grand Total, Estimated: $2,494.99

The total weight for this list is 169.4 pounds, split as follows:
  • a 68.4 pound loaded rack
  • approximately 4 pounds of footswitch and cable
  • a 40 pound guitar speaker cabinet
  • a 57 pound bass speaker cacbinet

My initial purchase would be suitable for home practice and recording through my computer (omitting the EQ, power amp, and speaker cabinets) and cost approximately $832.99.

Depending on timing and available funds, I may go for Greenboy's Fearless F112 cabinets at $1,000 each (as built by BNA Audio). Doing so would provide better sound quality and a more compact rig while reducing the overall weight by 25 pounds.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:01 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Robstafarian wrote:
  1. What strategy did you use for your outboard gear?
  2. How much trouble was it to revise that strategy later?
  3. Have you found yourself performing more than you would have expected?
  4. Is the Stick sufficiently unique to make any practitioner a potential performer?
My current strategy for outboard gear is that I must be able to travel by air on a minimal budget to concerts, so I rely on local FRFR speakers (full range frequency response). I don't think I will ever change this strategy. For ten years now I have been using laptops with top quality audio interface plus a MIDI pedal board. On this I can program good rigs not only for the Stick but for many other instruments I also play. I recently used the laptop setup with the Stick at big festivals like North Sea Jazz and Precenses Electronique with no problem, actually collaborating with local sound men is smoother than if using miced up combo amps.

I have only played the Stick for a couple of years but before that I played guitar for about four decades and used several traditional amp+cab rigs like Fender, Marshall and Boogie. This works well for local gigs and playing at home (if neighbors are out) but rules out a lot of the contemporary gig opportunities. The strategy to move from old school amp+cab to laptop was easy thanks to having picked up enough knowledge about signal routing and sound effect processing, but for a player that appreciates just pushing a button on an amp to instantly have a great sound I imagine it would be almost impossible to set up and intonate a laptop rig for the best results (computer management skills is a must).

Quite recently I expanded with two complementary Stick rigs. One is a little Roland Chorus Street for busking and the other is a Fractal Audio AxeFx. The fractal still fits into a cabin luggage bag under the allowed weight and I can then send the Stick + MIDI Pedalboard inside the SE hardcase as a checked in bag. The AxeFx tends to sound a little better than the laptop rig for typical "guitar amp sounds" (especially the dynamic response on playing, it feels like a tube amp but without the tube latency).

Is the Stick sufficiently unique to make any practitioner a potential performer?
Well, that's a backwards phrased question. To me it is the performer that has to be sufficiently unique to justify public performance on any instrument, including the Stick. As a player it is hard for yourself to judge your own "performer value" (since you're biased) so there is only one way to find out: get out and play for people and see how they react! It is easy with the Stick because you only need to play a little to produce a gorgeous sound even as an instrumental solo act.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks Per, I was hoping you'd relate your experiences with the transition to the Axe-FX and all.

Would you mind giving me your opinion of the general strategy expressed in my most recent list? I have taken the example of many great Stickists playing though a PA and developed a “front of house” style rig.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:45 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Sorry, Rob. I can't do that because I'm not updated on that kind of gear. I posted about stuff I know about because I currently use it and I posted the reasons why I made that decision.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Cheap and Light Gig Rig, Mark I
Rob - I too went through a sometimes agonzing quandary about my initial setup when I first got my NS. Sometimes it's helpful to try and simplify things somewhat:

Robstafarian wrote:
Greenboy Authorized Builder
  • Fearless F112 Bass Speaker Cabinet

Total, Without Shipping: Roughly $1,000

You can build a fEarFul yourself for less than that, and I would seriously consider if you really need a separate guitar and bass cabinet if you have the opportunity to get into a nice full-range hifi cabinet like this. If you do get into gigging a lot you need to consider how many trips you want to make from your "gig-mobile" to the venue (2x - both set-up and strike).

Quote:
Spending any less would reduce the frequency response too much, I already lose seven semitones on the low end...

I honestly think you risk really putting yourself in the poor house chasing those last basement Hz, and it's not really necessary. Yes, Low "B" on a bass (or Stick) is 30.9 Hz, but the fEarFul 12/6 -3dB rolloff point is actually about 45 Hz, and mine reproduces that low B just lovely. Part of this is due to room coupling and another part is due to psychoacoustics. The physics of sound is such that if you want to reproduce pipe-organ deep note fundamentals at large spl you can't get away from really big speaker cones with really big cabinet volumes or complex folded transmission-horn setups. Expensive and too much stress on the 'ol lower back, IMHO.

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:48 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Cheap and Light Rig, Mark II
I am evaluating building a fEARful 12/6/1, so this list includes a Fearless cabinet. Note that I will use a Rane AP-13 preamp as well, which is not included in this list because I have already bought it. I intend to add an effects unit and a strobe tuner at some point; excess rack space has been incorporated into this list.

Stick Enterprises
  • 12 String Grand with Stickup
  • SKB Hard Shell Case
  • Greg's Book & Companion CD
  • Greg's DVD

Total, Shipped: Roughly $2,900

Sweetwater
  • Two SKB 3U Stackable Racks
  • Rack Screws with Washers
  • Electrically Isolating Standoffs

Total, Shipped: Roughly $360

Carvin
  • 1U Power Conditioner
  • 2U Two Channel Power Amp with Built-In EQ and Speaker Management

Total, Shipped: Roughly $760

Greenboy Authorized Builder
  • Fearless F110 Bass Speaker Cabinet

Total, Shipped: Roughly $1,100

Grand Total, Estimated: $5,200 (including miscellaneous cables)

The total weight for this list is about 83 pounds, split as follows:
  • 27 pounds in the preamp rack
  • 21 pounds in the power amp rack
  • 4 pounds of cables
  • a 31 pound speaker cabinet

The initial post-Stick purchase will be suitable for practice and recording directly from the AP-13, costing about $400. At some point thereafter, I will determine if it is necessary to practice through a speaker cabinet.

EDIT: If I ever get this rig assembled, I will book some house concerts so more experienced Stickists can try it. :P

Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:44 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Per Boysen wrote:
...it feels like a tube amp but without the tube latency.

Sorry for the threadjack, but Per, really?! Tubes have latency? :?

Perhaps you mean rectifier sag? ;)

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Fri May 03, 2013 7:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

zaubertuba wrote:
Per Boysen wrote:
...it feels like a tube amp but without the tube latency.

Sorry for the threadjack, but Per, really?! Tubes have latency? :?

Perhaps you mean rectifier sag? ;)

Even electrons get tired!

Fri May 03, 2013 8:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next