It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:43 pm

Suggestions for my Rig... 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Suggestions for my Rig...
Greetings! I am wanting to make some decisions about my rig... First, I am a bassist who also plays 12 Grand.... My bass rig is an Aquilar 500 combo with a 12" extension cab. I am either thinking about going with a Roland JC-120 for the Melody side or two Powered Mackie 12" monitors... For effects I am using Vg-99 and a Gr-33. Which would you all think would be the better way to go. Guitar amp or the Mackies? Thanks for your time... And as always, I am SO grateful to be a part of this wonderful forum and community... 8-)

Fri May 30, 2008 9:16 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Suggestions for my Rig...
they should both work well for the melody side.
you should try them out somewhere
to determine your personal preference..

Fri May 30, 2008 10:38 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I use 2 12" powered Mackies with a small Mackie board and a few Zoom peddles and it rocks for both my Grand Stick and NS stick.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Fri May 30, 2008 2:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hi there,

I'm thinkin' that for the full range of the Stick and the 99 and 33 you'd be better off going with some powered pa speakers and a powered sub. I run through some of those plastic self powered JBL 15's and a monster sub and I'm very happy. If you want a guitarish sound ie; limited freq range, you can use the amp/cab modelling.

If you're not going to get a sub don't ever try one out. There's no turning back ;)

On a separate note, those JC's are soooooo nice. IMHO you wouldn't get the sparkling highs and the deep low's that your axe and gear are spitting out, but gawd they are nice amps.

Rob

Sat May 31, 2008 4:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

;) Rob,
thanks for the tip... Yeah, the idea of a powered sub is very appealing... Which one do you use? 8-)

Sat May 31, 2008 6:54 pm

Hi there,

I've got a Yorkville. I forget the model no# but it's not made anymore and pretty hard to find. It's a powered sub rated at 600 watts with some exotic interior baffles etc and just 2 ten inch speakers. Weighs a ton. I was in the market for a powered sub for my electronic drums doing live gigs and it fit the bill and I got it for a song. For my Stick setup it's definately way overkill but it's good to know that I can knock the local birds out of the trees if I need to. :shock: No kidding.

I would suggest at least twice the wattage of your powered PA cabs for the sub and I would shy away from the JBL subs in the plastic cabinet (the model no# escapes me). They don't quite do it for me. Kinda woofy. Now the JBL powered subs in the wooden cabs are what I'd go for if I had to replace my Yorkville. I'm sure others can chime in with their recommendations.

Ciao,

Rob

Sat May 31, 2008 7:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery