It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:15 pm

Ear protection.....please help 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Ear protection.....please help
I play with some dear freinds (going on 40 years)

Great fun but LOUD!!!!!!!

any recommends for ear protection? Turning down won't work.

any help is appreciated.

Brett

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Ear protection.....please help
I've used ear plugs of various brands and styles. Dense foam plugs that conform to your ear canal have worked best for me. Granted, the sound and the experience are somewhat degraded (condums come to mind), but what 'cha gonna do?

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:24 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Brett,

years ago I purchased North Sonic II noise filter ear plugs. They have 2 silicon baffle diaphragms and a small hole through all of them. The result is 6db lower ( according to one site) and you don't lose the highs as you would with regular heroes. I wear them to all concerts now.

I was in the same predicament in a band that wouldn't turn down, and I used to pop these in, put on my wayfarers, my NIN baseball hat, and turn my rack up to Spinal Tap 11! :D

I did a search for you and although there are other newer plugs, these are reviewed now for gun shooters! go figure! Glad you brought this up, you only get one set of ears.

http://www.guitargearheads.com/modules/myReviews/detailfile.php?lid=5580

hope it helps,
Dave Brosky

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I very much recommend the custom-fit ER-15 earplugs.

Yes, they are expensive (here in Germany, they cost about 150 euros, which is about 200 US dollars). But for me they have been the best music-related purchase apart from my instruments.

I had been trying out a lot of different kinds of earplugs to use in my band that would allow me to hear myself playing the violin in a loud context. All other kinds of earplugs would dampen the high frequencies to much, so I couldn't hear myself. On recommendation of other musicians I had the custom-fit earplugs made, and haven't looked back ever since.

They are very comfortable to wear (I have worn them for five hours non-stop during a long train ride, for example), and they dampen all frequencies almost equally. So it really sounds like the volume has been turned down, and you can still hear everything fine.

So - if you play loud music, consider getting these earplugs, playing is so much more enjoyable when you can hear everything, and having your hearing preserved should be worth the money.

https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/jenko-nashorn

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:00 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I'd like to say they are expensive to buy but inexpensive to own! I mean you only buy them once and they seem to last forever. In the early nineties I had a pair moulded to fit my ears and I still use them today, with the same -15dB filters. It's definitely worth the price. There are also -20dB filters for drummers and percussionists. The good thing with personally moulded silicone is that the material is soft and doesn't "open up a deafening sound glitch" if moving your jaw widely while singing or playing reed instruments. I use them also when hanging out socially at noisy bars and when listening to concerts. They make it easier to hear what people say and most club PA systems sound better through the -15dB filters. They don't kill much high end, only lower the level. The typical ear plugs you can buy at music stores gives a muffled sound and that's difficult to play with IMO.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:12 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Per Boysen wrote:
I'd like to say they are expensive to buy but inexpensive to own! I mean you only buy them once and they seem to last forever. In the early nineties I had a pair moulded to fit my ears and I still use them today, with the same -15dB filters. It's definitely worth the price. There are also -20dB filters for drummers and percussionists. The good thing with personally moulded silicone is that the material is soft and doesn't "open up a deafening sound glitch" if moving your jaw widely while singing or playing reed instruments. I use them also when hanging out socially at noisy bars and when listening to concerts. They make it easier to hear what people say and most club PA systems sound better through the -15dB filters. They don't kill much high end, only lower the level. The typical ear plugs you can buy at music stores gives a muffled sound and that's difficult to play with IMO.

+1!

I use the same ones and I guess Per and I hade them made at the same place here in Stockholm. Hörseltekniska laboratoriet? :D I also hade them made me a pair in early 90´s and they are still as new. FANTASTIC ear plugs. Couldn´t be more happy with them. I too have the - 15 dB filters. Perfect.

//Jan

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:50 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

StickJan wrote:
Hörseltekniska laboratoriet?
Yep, that's where it's at.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Ear protection.....please help
I also use custom made earugs with -15 dB filters in them. They turn down the soundlevel evenly across the frequency spectrum. I also paid about 150euri's for them, but they are a good buy and very comfortable to use.

Cheers,
Bas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:11 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Go to a local audiologist and have them make the molds for custom ear plugs. The "musician" version have the little filters in them mentioned above so they don't do much when it is quiet but kick in when it is loud.

I got mine for playing in weekend bands after years of wearing the foam versions at work (paper mills etc...). The custom molded ones are 1000% more comfortable and effective. I now wear them on airplaines and industrial sites too. I LOVE them.

Whatever brand the audiologist who takes your molds uses will be fine. $150-$200 is about what they cost. Totally worth it in my book after years of wearing the free ones they give our at the various industrial sights I work at.

Graphite 10 String Grand/ PASV-4 #5895

Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:41 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post eRe: Ear protection.....plpresbycusislayin ease help
Foam plugs. I take one and cut it in two, they fit nicely and are easier to keep in. I've used them for many many years, and always while playing with a band. I also sleep with them in every night. Loud noises actually hurt my ears when others people are not affected. My hearing loss resembles presbycusis, I've had an identified sensorineural hearing loss since my early teens along with some of the other characteristics of prebycusis. Now in my 50s I'm the guy who has to say , what was that? Or just knods his head when I'm unable to hear what's being said. Protect your hearing at all cost, no matter what the situation.

10 string (stickup)

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:07 pm