It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:59 pm

Need audio interface advice 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Need audio interface advice
Hey there. I'm currently running my Stick through an ultrasound DI Max preamp/DI which mixes the 2 channels down to 1, which goes into my Behringer mixer, which goes into the built-in audio input on my PC.

I want to be able to separate the 2 channels of my Stick but still be able to record off the other input sources plugged into my mixer (primarily a microphone and line-level input from another computer).

I've never used one of these USB audio interfaces before, but they seem to be the way to go.

First off, as I understand it, if I use one of these then I'll need to route ALL my audio to my computer through it, right? Meaning the mixer output will have to go into the audio interface, otherwise I'll have to switch audio inputs on my computer every time I switch recording source, right?

OK, so given that I guess these nice looking 2 channel interfaces won't work for me. Also from what I can tell the hardware of the various competitors is fairly similar, but there's a big difference in driver quality from different manufacturers.

I think I've narrowed it down to Focusrite since by the reports I've found their drivers seem to be the best, and the features on the hardware seem good.

http://www.focusrite.com/products/audio ... _features/

That has 2k impedence instrument level ins, which should be fine for my ACTV-2s, but I haven't ruled out getting a PASV-4 some day - is that a good impedence for it? (I know the Stickup is fairly impedence-sensitive)

Actually, Amazon has the 18i6 for $17 more than the 8i6, so maybe I'd just get that in case I ever wanted to record a ton of sources. :)

http://www.focusrite.com/products/audio ... fications/

Any thoughts?

#6054 Bamboo SG12, ACTV-2, mirrored 4ths piano
#5518 Rosewood 10 String Grand, PASV4, MR

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:05 am

Post Re: Need audio interface advice
Hi, first post here!!! but this time I think I have an experienced opinion

You may want to check a firewire module (MOTU for example) which may allow you to mix too and they are way faster than a USB module, if your budget allows for it. Just a thought, as you will spending some bucks on this.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:50 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I'm pretty happy with my M-Audio Fast Track Pro. It can act as a MIDI/USB interface too. It is bus powered, so one less thing to plug in...and it didn't break the bank. Usually lots available on eBay

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro.html
Cheers

John

Since when did music become all about the words

Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:27 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Hi,

I have the focusrite saffire pro 24 dsp and i'm very content with it. When I plugin the stick( i use a stick with pasv4 and one with a stickup) the sound is very clear and crisp and plain beautiful
Added value (i think) is the VRM function which simulates acoustic rooms (not just a reverb!!!). It makes using headphones really comfortable, it's like you're playing through an amp that stands in front of you, really great. Also, listening on headphones to music is way more enjoyable.
Functionality on the unit is great and it can also operate without a computer connected.

http://soundcloud.com/focusrite/vrm-podcast This is very nice demo of the vrm concept. Just listen to it on a headphone from about 6m20 or so. Don't freak out when the speaker 'stears his voice around', you will actually think he's a meter or so on your left !

Cheers,
Bas

Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:02 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I really am happy with my Motu Ultralite...

Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:27 pm