It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:03 am

Apple Recording Software 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Apple Recording Software
So it looks like I will be getting a Mac this holiday season - I have buried the last PC I will ever buy a few weeks ago. A 13" MacBook Pro. Probably the 2.4 GHz model unless someone strongly suggests I upgrade to the 2.8 GHz...

When it comes to recording software - any suggestions?

I don't need anything to fancy - in fact I would prefer as simple as possible. Probably something that would also have plug ins for drums or synths or something so I could add backing tracks.

Also, I have a Tascam US-144 A/D Interface. I'm assuming something like that could be used with a Mac? Anyone have any ideas on that....

Thanks gang - I'm actually quite excited to get a Mac. PCs have been the bane of my existence for some time, and everyone I know who has a Mac has never said anything negative about them.

Randy

Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Apple Recording Software
Most people love Logic. I think it's the apple standard, and if you are learning anew you are probaley best served to learn it.

with that said I HATE it. But then I hate all things computer related if there is any kind of learning cure involved. I've had Logic for 2 years and can't use it at all, I've tried but Apple wants me to pay outrageous amounts for lessons, so no thanks.

Brett

Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:06 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

For getting started I think Apple's Garageband is fairly simple and adequate, and it only costs $15 in the App Store. Later if you decide to get Logic Pro, the Garageband projects are compatible.

You can download Mac drivers for the Tascam US-144 so that should be fine.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I agree with Rob - GarageBand for getting started. It has straightforward recording routines and the ability to use tons of plugins from all around.

For instruments you can use the DLSMusicDevice and start collecting hundreds of sounds and instruments to play into a track. I have a few hundred sound fonts that I use with that device. Those tracks can then easily be edited and - if you're so inclined - be printed out in musical notation.

Look at the AudioMidiSetup program in your new Mac and learn how to create an Aggregate Device. This will allow you to create quite a lot of audio inputs that can come from live sound through USB or even the audio from other software (using something like SoundFlowerBed to route the signals). Whenever I use GarageBand I typically have available about 22 audio inputs. Two for my Rosewood Grand, one for a mic, one for my piano and the others are spread around to various audio outputs from software like SampleTank, Independence Free, Amplitude 3 and the occasional streamed input from the net.

When you get your Mac send me a note and I can speed up your tweaking.
seanstirling@gmail.com

Sean

Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I love Propellerhead Reason 6.0.

http://www.propellerheads.se

If you want simple, it can be simple yet it's got tons of power as you grow. It sounds great (the SSL mixer emulation is amazing) and there are lots and lots of synths, samples, drums, etc. etc. built in. The other thing I love is that it's a closed system (which some people either love or hate), but for simplicity and stability it can't be beat. You know everything in is it designed to work together so there's no mucking about with how you organize plugins, etc. Again, some people need and want a lot of flexability. I happen to love its rock solid stability and great sound most of all.

The lower priced Reason Essentials may be as much as you need for now.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:06 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

as with most software, what's good for you depends on your computer skills, your requirements, and taste.
I like to work with computers, and I do anything from writing music for video, recording voice overs, creating backing tracks, click tracks, music scores, editing existing music, sound design, etc. etc. For all of these tasks together, Garageband is far too light, and Logic is great for me.
But if you're not into computers, Garageband is a wise choice. A friend of mine uses Garageband to write songs, and if it needs more advanced editing, he takes it to a studio with Logic.
My "taste" is Apple + Logic, some friends of mine are very happy with PC + Cubase. I never got used to Cubase, they never got used to Logic...
Just my 2 cents,
Jaap
http://www.tracktatie.nl

Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm
Contributor
Contributor

according to macrumors, Logic is now apparently available for download for $200 for the full version on the apps store (prev 500). Seems like a bargain even if logic 9 is getting old. Just make sure you have the patience to download the 50GB of additional content...

oh and mainstage 2 is $25, or something like that

Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:47 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

GarageBand is the way to go, especially if you're, as me, a pure beginner.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:24 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

grozoeil wrote:
GarageBand is the way to go, especially if you're, as me, a pure beginner.

I agree about getting Garage Band, and when your ready for the "big guns" go Logic Pro. IMO it's the best bang for the buck recording program available.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

bergerbrain wrote:
oh and mainstage 2 is $25, or something like that

It's $29.99. To that price it is a steal - you get all the effect and instrument plugins of Logic plus the looper Looper and file player Playback. Mainstage is basically "Logic stripped of the sequencing engine", a live performance rack of pre amps, effects and synths. But you can record with Mainstage too; however only the master output track so there is no way to build up a multi channel production recording. It is rather aimed at the performing musician. I use it for Stick, guitar, flute, sax and synths at live concerts and can't really imagine a better package. Not just for the price, I think it sounds best (have been using Ableton, Guitar Rig etc). In my opinion the amp sim plugins are better in Mainstage, but that's of course a question of personal taste. When using Live I have Amplitube 3 for guitar tone, and I regard that second best after the Mainstage plugins. However, Amplitube wins when it comes to an Octavia tone a´la Hendrix.

I too have the 13" MBP with the 2 core i7. The recent update of Mainstage makes it support 4 core CPU, so that would give you a tremendous laptop power to build virtual racks that go way beyond eleven.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery