It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:10 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Apple Recording Software 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Apple Recording Software
Ha! Well done for going MAC, now you will have a computer that actually works. I'm with Brett, although LOGIC is an awesome program these days I think its badly named! I've been a ProTools user for over ten years and travel with a macbook and Mini mBox which is great on the move.
Starting out , Like they say Garage Band is developing well but there is some great stuff around thats really cheap now. I like Jaap's comment about The Cubase & Logic Camps, never the two shall meet.
Have fun with the new gear. ;)

Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Garage Band is a great app for recording, arranging, and mixing your musical (and not-so-musical) projects. The fact that it comes pre-installed on every Macintosh so much further sweetens the deal.

As powerful as GB is, you may find yourself being limited by some of the editing and arrangement tools in it. This is where Apple shines - if you find yourself at the end of the line, you can open all of your GB projects in Logic Pro. You can unlock your ideas and begin working in multiple time signatures, create and print musical scores, improving your audio tracks with the Amp Designer plugin and all of the virtual stompboxes, programming the virtual synths, creating your own sampled instruments and Apple Loops... . I often use GB as a scratchpad, when I want to quickly track some musical ideas (I find I have to strike while the iron is hot, else the muse is soon gone). Then I will open that project in Logic to flesh it out.

You can even take projects recorded with Garage Band on an iPod Touch, iPhone, or iPad and bring them into Logic on your Mac! I haven't taken this route yet (I will experiment this week after I get home from a short trip), but I find the possibilities exciting!

Take care,

Paul

Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:08 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

grandstick wrote:
Garage Band is a great app for recording, arranging, and mixing your musical (and not-so-musical) projects. The fact that it comes pre-installed on every Macintosh so much further sweetens the deal.

As powerful as GB is, you may find yourself being limited by some of the editing and arrangement tools in it. This is where Apple shines - if you find yourself at the end of the line, you can open all of your GB projects in Logic Pro. You can unlock your ideas and begin working in multiple time signatures, create and print musical scores, improving your audio tracks with the Amp Designer plugin and all of the virtual stompboxes, programming the virtual synths, creating your own sampled instruments and Apple Loops... . I often use GB as a scratchpad, when I want to quickly track some musical ideas (I find I have to strike while the iron is hot, else the muse is soon gone). Then I will open that project in Logic to flesh it out.

You can even take projects recorded with Garage Band on an iPod Touch, iPhone, or iPad and bring them into Logic on your Mac! I haven't taken this route yet (I will experiment this week after I get home from a short trip), but I find the possibilities exciting!

Take care,

Paul

One point Paul, I don't think GB comes with Macs for free anymore, I believe you now need to purchase it.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

If and when you do go to Logic ...

Back when I was getting started in Logic, someone told me that I should not even fire it up without the following in my hands:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Pro-Training-Logic-Express/dp/0321636805/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323783656&sr=8-2

This was sound advice. Of course, that was back when Logic had just been acquired from EMagic and using Logic was considerably more complicated than it is today. But even now, I tend to upgrade the book whenever I upgrade the product. It does an excellent job of leading you through easy to more advanced workflows and also provides some little tips and tricks that even the most advanced users might now know about.

Highly recommend.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

thanks to all - I really appreciate everyone's opinion.

Also - thanks Glenn - I appreciate the tip on the reference/users guide.

Sounds like Garage Band & Mainstange for starters. Costs are minimal and they seem pretty simple to begin with. Two for Two on my main priorities with this project.

Thanks again everyone (and please keep the comments if anyone else hasn't chimed in yet but wants to)

Randy

Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey Glenn thanks for that link. I'm gonna try that book.

Brett

Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Brett Bottomley wrote:
Hey Glenn thanks for that link. I'm gonna try that book.

Brett

I think the best way I've found to learn about Logic Pro is through www.macprovideo.com
You can join for a monthly fee or purchase lesson packages. I joined for a few months then when they had a SALE dropped my membership and purchased several training DVDs. (Downloaded and accessible on line thought any computer) For me it's much easier to SEE how it's done rathe than just read it and hope I'm understanding what I read.

I've become a big fan of macprovideo. (I have nothing to do with the site, just had good results using it)

Ray

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks Ray

Brett

Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:38 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

88persuader wrote:
One point Paul, I don't think GB comes with Macs for free anymore, I believe you now need to purchase it.

Hi Ray,

Garage Band is still included with every Mac. You can purchase an upgrade from Garage Band '09 or earlier through the Mac App Store for $15.00, but otherwise, it is included with your new Mac.

Take care,

Paul

Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I'll double what Glenn has to say about the Peachpit Press books, and what Ray wrote about MacProVideo.com. I am an Apple-certified Logic Pro 9 trainer, and those two resources were invaluable in my working to that end.

MacProVideo has just lowered the prices for the HD downloadable versions of their Logic Pro and Mainstage courses to $20.00 each. This was to coincide with the price reductions for both of those apps by Apple.

Take care,

Paul

Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:27 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next