It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:47 am

Roland KC-880 

Post Roland KC-880
Is anyone using the Roland KC-880 keyboard amp? I'm currently using a 12 channel line mixer into a Peavey 800-watt power amp with two humongous Yamaha cabinets with 15" woofers, mids and tweeters.

I'm looking for something a lot more portable. The Roland KC-880 caught my eye since it has 4 stereo inputs which match the stereo outputs of my drum unit, vocal processor, melody side processor and bass side processor.

I'm wondering about the tone of the amp. Does is handle the low bass end of the stick as well as high frequencies? Does it buzz and rattle on the low notes? Is it loud enough? I'm having some difficulty getting a good full bass sound out of my PA.

Also, are the KC-880 speakers actually stereo? That is to say, are the left inputs routed to the left speaker and the right inputs to the right speaker?

Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:15 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Roland KC-880
hi g,

i have a fellow keyboardist friend who owns the roland. it's a nice amp. and yes, it is "true" stereo separation.

can't speak on how it does with a stick, but when the amp is challenged with some intense synth bass lines, it suffers no "buzz or rattle." highs are there. i would think it should be plenty loud with any pickup (active or passive w/pre) that S.E. offers.

personally, i own 2 hartke km200's which i run in stereo link mode. they're around $500 each. i prefer these over the roland for 3 reasons:

first, i think stereo needs space between L/R. my 2 hartkes separated by 15 feet IS STEREO. the roland may as well be mono by comparison. my buddy agreed when he heard the difference.

second, EACH of the hartke's has 4 stereo imputs.. buy two of them and now you have 8 !! (trust me here.. 4's never better than 8)

and third (totally subjective and personal bias....) i prefer my tone over the roland.

if it's strictly about scaling back size-wise, obviously the roland "wins." ... but i can't wait to hear the stick (being built as we speak) through my hartke's.

=o) jimi

Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:43 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks for the reply. That's good info. Do you run any vocals or drum sounds through the Hartkes?

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:20 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Digitech live vocalist 4 in stereo. clear and clean harmonies. no "real" drums... just what the triton combi's and logic pro virtual instruments have built into them. =o) glad to help.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

ggoldsmith wrote:
Is anyone using the Roland KC-880 keyboard amp? I'm currently using a 12 channel line mixer into a Peavey 800-watt power amp with two humongous Yamaha cabinets with 15" woofers, mids and tweeters.

I'm looking for something a lot more portable. The Roland KC-880 caught my eye since it has 4 stereo inputs which match the stereo outputs of my drum unit, vocal processor, melody side processor and bass side processor.

I'm wondering about the tone of the amp. Does is handle the low bass end of the stick as well as high frequencies? Does it buzz and rattle on the low notes? Is it loud enough? I'm having some difficulty getting a good full bass sound out of my PA.

Also, are the KC-880 speakers actually stereo? That is to say, are the left inputs routed to the left speaker and the right inputs to the right speaker?

hi ggoldsmith, i am using Roland KC-880 and what i feel about it the KC-880 is Roland’s most powerful and versatile keyboard amp. Keyboards are only half of the story, however, as the KC-880 can handle an entire band in true stereo. Plug in a V-Piano, a set of V-Drums, a VB-99 V-Bass, a microphone, a guitar or a rhythm machine, even an iPod. The KC-880’s full-range stereo design makes any instrument sound big and rich.
Stereo FX
The combination of the KC-880’s stereo speakers and effects fill the room with deep, spatial sound. With stereo-chorus technology derived from Roland’s world-famous JC-series amps, it provides unmatched depth and stereo imaging. In addition to stereo chorus, the KC-880 also provides tremolo and rotary effects for keyboards, and a lush stereo reverb for vocals and other instruments.
Flexible I/O
With true stereo performance, the KC-880 is a dream for keyboards, vocals, and beyond. XLR inputs are provided for microphones, so vocalists can sing along with the band. Guitars, drum machines, and other electronic musical instruments can be plugged in as well. Connect and jam with 320 watts of pure, clean power.

Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:49 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

:shock: :? Is the above post a Bot? :|
*j*
.~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:17 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

JRJ wrote:
:shock: :? Is the above post a Bot? :|
*j*
.~

Might be, it's a new account. It could be a real person that's part of their marketing, too.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:14 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

:arrow: It is becoming more common in my experience that "real persons" are bot's :P
`J`
`

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:29 am

The post from Stephen sounds like it was cut and pasted right out of a Roland sales brochure. Probably is a bot.

Just to update: I took my entire rig to Sam Ash here in Charlotte and tried out the Roland keyboard amps. The bottom line is they are just not loud enough. I will have to stick with a portable PA of some kind. I'm looking at a pair of powered Yamaha speakers now.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:35 am