It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:22 pm

What's your GR-55 Stick strategy? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post What's your GR-55 Stick strategy?
Since the GR-55 is such a multi faceted piece of gear I'm wondering what route different STick players take with it?

Here's my take:
The more I work with the Roland GR-55 the better I like it! For concerts with the Stick it replaces both my computer audio interface and MIDI interface. I simply plug in a laptop by USB to run a looper as part of the GR-55, a simple and powerful performance tool. It even replaces most of my software plugins! The effects of the GR-55 are excellent sounding and can be combined in many alternate signal flow chains.

I only have a GK-3 on the melody side so my choice is to run the STick's bass fretboard as direct audio through the GR-55's effects and play the melody fretboard as Cosm modelling sound or/with synth tones (+ fx). Max length one bar delay style looping can be done within the GR-55 if assigning the exp pedal to delay feedback (but I run Mobius on the lappy inserted as USB external). For control of the software looper I run a Gordius Little Giant MIDI pedalboard plugged by a MIDI cable into the GR-55 and a Faderfox LV3 plugged by USB directly into the laptop. I appreciate being able to tour lightweight.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: What's your GR-55 Stick strategy?
That's cool. I didn't know you could split the signal that way. GAS attack!

Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:16 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

dcben wrote:
That's cool. I didn't know you could split the signal that way. GAS attack!
That is because on a normal guitar you can use a short cable to plug the magnetic pickup's output (the normal guitar output) into the GK-3 in order to blend the traditional PU sound with the Roland sounds. But on a Stick you may chose to plug the audio from the GK-less fretboard into the other fretboard's GK-3.

By doing so you miss out on the option to use the natural output sound from the fretboard with the GK-3. Since I have a PASV-4 on my STick I could of course flip its switch to send out both fretboard's audio through the analog jack and then blend the mix of them with the Roland sounds. But unfortunately the general volume of the PASV-4 goes down a bit in mono compared to when separating the two sides, and I want to avoid that.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:44 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I'm awaiting delivery of my new stick which will also be equiped with a gk3 on the melody side.
Very likely I will buy the GR55.
It's good to read the good experience woth the GR55..yep...GAS attack !!

Cheers,
Bas.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:00 pm