It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 am

Preamp suggestions 

Post Preamp suggestions
Greetings tappers!

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions regarding preamps to use with the stick? I'm looking for a stereo or two mono preamps to boost the signal from my stick before I route it to my effects. I would like to mount the preamps on my pedal board. I tried the Electroharmonix 2UBE but it was too noisy.

Here is my setup:

10 string stick with passive Stickup pickup
Preamps (don't have yet)
Digitech RP250 multi-effects pedal (melody side)
Digitech BP200 multi-effects pedal (bass side)
Line mixer
Peavey stereo power amp (500W per side)
2 Yamaha PA cabinets - 15" woofer, mid-range speaker and tweeter

Thanks in advance!

Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:38 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Preamp suggestions
I like the Presonus BlueTube DP - very clean and you can crank up the tube blend for a "warmer" tone if you like.

Two fully independent channels.

http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail ... oductId=11

Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:44 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Can you swing a Stepabout. GREAT stick preamp!!!!

Brett

Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

ggoldsmith wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had suggestions regarding preamps to use with the stick? I'm looking for a stereo or two mono preamps to boost the signal from my stick before I route it to my effects. I would like to mount the preamps on my pedal board.

Sounds like you just described the Stepabout perfectly. A little pricey but it really sounds wonderful. Especially if you have a Stickup.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

SFX SP2 ?
~US$260

http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/mainpage.asp?page=sp2

I should get this one in a few months ... for while I use a Boss LS-2 just to mix the two channels in a bass amp.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:08 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I would love to pick up a Stepabout but as I recall they're about $800. Way out of my price range. Anybody looking to sell one used? LOL!

The SP2 and Presonus units look like they're a little more affordable. The SP2 looks very road worthy as well. The preamp will be mounted on my pedalboard and lugged around to gigs.

It looks like the SP2 only has one stereo input jack. Do you run a 1/4" stereo cable from the stick to the SP2 and then a stereo to dual mono cable from the output? I also like the fact that the unit has the ability to sum the bass and melody side.

Do the preamps mention give you a large boost without being too noisy?

Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:30 am

ggoldsmith wrote:
It looks like the SP2 only has one stereo input jack. Do you run a 1/4" stereo cable from the stick to the SP2 and then a stereo to dual mono cable from the output?

Check this:
http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/mainpage.asp?page=sp2 wrote:
If you have a unique requirement please feel free to contact [sfx] for your custom version.

;)

Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:34 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Just talked to Stick Enterprises about ordering a StepABout... Going to be a 6month + wait from what the person on the phone said.... Very disappointed.... :(

Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:21 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

ggoldsmith wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I would love to pick up a Stepabout but as I recall they're about $800. Way out of my price range. Anybody looking to sell one used? LOL!

The SP2 and Presonus units look like they're a little more affordable. The SP2 looks very road worthy as well. The preamp will be mounted on my pedalboard and lugged around to gigs.

It looks like the SP2 only has one stereo input jack. Do you run a 1/4" stereo cable from the stick to the SP2 and then a stereo to dual mono cable from the output? I also like the fact that the unit has the ability to sum the bass and melody side.

Do the preamps mention give you a large boost without being too noisy?

Yep, you just have to plug out from the SP2 a stereo jack that the,n divides to a dual mono jack.
Or you can simply plug a mono jack at the other output to have a mono signal suming both sides of the Stick. Very handful if you want to simply plug the Stick into a bass amp for a gig.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

rclere wrote:
Just talked to Stick Enterprises about ordering a StepABout... Going to be a 6month + wait from what the person on the phone said.... Very disappointed.... :(
Hi Randy,

That long of a delay seems unlikely. Let me see if I can find out anything different...

Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery