It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:33 am

Question about rig set up 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Question about rig set up
Greetings and Salutations!
Now that I am playing Stick again... My main role in both projects I am involved in is bass. I play jazz fusion and world music.... My set up is a Genz-Benz 12.0 Shuttle max into 2 1x12's. I want to incorporate the Stick into the mix, and will be playing both sides of the Stick... I am not sure whether to get active speakers and a mixer and dump all into that, or get a separate rig for the STICK... one thought was to run the bass side into my bass rig, and get a nice powered speaker for the melody and midi side.... I do not want to start hauling a bunch of heavy stuff around...Thanks for your input!!!! :D

Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:37 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Question about rig set up
rclere wrote:
Greetings and Salutations!
Now that I am playing Stick again... My main role in both projects I am involved in is bass. I play jazz fusion and world music.... My set up is a Genz-Benz 12.0 Shuttle max into 2 1x12's. I want to incorporate the Stick into the mix, and will be playing both sides of the Stick... I am not sure whether to get active speakers and a mixer and dump all into that, or get a separate rig for the STICK... one thought was to run the bass side into my bass rig, and get a nice powered speaker for the melody and midi side.... I do not want to start hauling a bunch of heavy stuff around...Thanks for your input!!!! :D

Hi Randy, Since your bass head has an effects loop (several, in fact), if the speakers you are using are full-range, a simple solution is to put a mixer in the effects loop, that way you can run everything through the same speaker (less to carry).

I've been using this kind of setup for over a decade and I find it works really well. The head I use to power everthing is an SWR-SM-400, which atually has a stereo power amp, but I find I rarely use both power amp channels as one channel of my stereo rig will run into the house monitors.

Happy multi-channel tapping,
Greg

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

that Genz-Benz looks like it has enough EQ & pre-modeling to work just fine as a full range amplifier. It looks really nice actually.

The only consideration is if you have active or passive pickups and signal combination.

If you have a Stickup or PASV4 passive pickups, I would recommend getting a dual channel DI or preamp to run before the amp, that way you can mono the signals after the preamp and not have any interference issues when combining the signals.

If you have the ACTV-2 active pickup, it has a built in mono switch and probably doesn't suffer to much when combining the signals, eliminating the need for a separate dual channel pre-amp before the amp.

Before buying more speakers or amps I would recommend trying that route as it involved the least amount of equipment purchases. It seems like you have pretty decent gear to begin with...see what you can make of it.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

@greg - great idea!!! I so appreciate this.... I have access to a nice Mackie mixer that I will use... My speakers are Bergs and Bag Ends, so they are full range... This is excellent... I think I will buy a StepABout, though....

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:23 am