It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:46 pm

Lap Tool for seated playing 

Post Lap Tool for seated playing
Id appreciate any information regarding the lap tool for seated playing. Contact information for anyone making this item would be nice, or just some nice photos to assist me in making my own. Thanks for your help!

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:07 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Lap Tool for seated playing
I cut a slot out of a piece of bamboo. It fits in the belt hook snugly.
It's useful for when you want to sit on the couch or a soft chair and play.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

10 string (stickup)

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:58 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I had a lap bar made for me as a gift. It has a slight dip in the center which puts the instrument at the proper height for playing while sitting.

You can see it at the beginning of this horrible video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJf-A1qydew

I will try to take some pics to show you closeup

Brett

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:09 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I made this lap bar from some ½" X 1½" hardwood stock. I tapped two ¼-20 holes in the wood and secure it to the belt clip with two knurled thumb screws.
Works great, and no strap is needed.
The local bully, who choked me almost weekly when I was a kid, has me phobic of anything crossing my neck.

If I had a quarter for every time I said "if I had a nickel", I would have five times the virtual money.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:32 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

@inquiet - the bamboo is TOO cool! Thanks for the idea... I have a nice piece of black bamboo that I can use for this.... very cool.
:ugeek:

Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:20 am

Thanks for the responses! Its nice to see a variety to choose from, for my next project.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:16 am

I spoke briefly with Michael Bernier, and he suggested a drum stick. I purchased a 7A set, and it works fine! A good alternative when in a pinch.
The bamboo idea is fantastic too, considering I'm now a proud owner of a bamboo grand. Take care all, thanks for your reponses :D

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:28 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Most of these option put the instrument up too high, You want to be able to have the instrument at relatively the same position you will have when standing, otherwise you're not really training your body to react in the same way to the same situation.

We learn in very subtle ways. If your A is in one place relative to your body sitting and a different place when standing, this will make it harder for your muscle memory to guide you, and you will rely much more on your eyes.

The best option I've found for seated play is a loose belt. The belt hook actually rests on the front of the chair, and is not rigidly in place, but can "give" and flow as when you have it on a belt standing.

Just 2 cents from a guys who likes to play with his eyes closed.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks Greg ) I do find myself turning my head around towards the neck for that exact reason; my frets have moved up in relation to my body. It becomes more uncomfortable, the longer I play. Im not confident enough to play by using the force like a Jedi, but perhaps after a few lessons with you and Steve? I have plans to meet you on Skype in the near future.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:11 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Lap Tool for seated playing
I use a dodgy bit of improvisation for this purpose. What you want is a piece of wood that dips in the centre to get the stick down a little lower. ...so..

I found that if I take a normal wooden coathanger and remove the cross strut at the bottom it leaves a V shaped piece of wood that the shoulders of a coat hang on.

Turn that bad boy up side down and it makes a perfect sit down stick holder with a dip in the middle (like a V shape). Mine also slots neatly into the belt hook and even holds it at the right angle - no woodwork required!

I was very happy when I discovered this as now I have more than 50 potential stick rests hanging in my wardrobe.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:04 am