It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:32 pm

VG-99 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post VG-99
Greetings! this is my first posting on this site, although I check it everyday... I really would like to convey my sense of gratitude to all who post here (although the posting of one individual who seems to like to take pot shots at Gregg... suffering individual). One of the things that I have like most about the Stick is the community and support from the very seasoned players to the beginning players who always post the most helpful and interesting questions. At one time I had thought about getting a WARR, however, the thought of not being part of this community,( plus I DO like the Stick better ) was too much to bare!!! I have a brand new Bamboo Grand w/midi. I recently picked up the VG-99... Being a plug and play bassist/ Stickist, this is providing me with lots of knob tweeking! The unit is really wonderful and very user friendly, especially with the soft-ware editor. I have had the good fortune of having some lessons with Trey Gunn over the last year... Very helpful... And recently, Sean Sterling, who is and excellent player and a great teacher.... Thank you all :D

Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:11 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: VG-99
rclere wrote:
I have had the good fortune of having some lessons with Trey Gunn over the last year... Very helpful... And recently, Sean Sterling, who is and excellent player and a great teacher.... Thank you all :D

Welcome to the ranks of the active posters! And now I'm jealous, most of us don't live anywhere near a Stick or tapping teacher. To get instruction from those two would be amazing.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Yes, I do feel fortunate, and I DO need all the help I can get!! Oh by the way VG-99 has a great user forum, http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php. Very Informative and useful.
I play alot of world, jazz fusion, and I am experimenting using different ethnic instrument patches and even making some of my own up. Are there many other Stick players using the VG-99? :D

Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:39 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

rclere wrote:
Are there many other Stick players using the VG-99? :D

I have one, but I do not use MIDI on my Grand or NS, I have a GK-3 attached to my guitar. I've been more focused on learning the Grand that I just got, but I've been curious about one thing with the VG-99:
Do you have any intonation issues using the Stick with the "virtual instruments" of the VG-99? I ask as the unit does not have a 36" scale setting for setup; all the scale selections are guitar-lengths.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:16 pm

How are the synth type sounds? I know its not a tracking issue, so thats great. I'm wondering if the virtual signal path is complex enough to make analog type sounds. That would be really cool. Can you use any effect in any order? If you have any music let us know.

Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:14 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

rclere wrote:
I have had the good fortune of having some lessons with Trey Gunn over the last year...

I'm jealous, I really like Trey Gunn's music and style. Well I won't complain, cause I had the chance to get lessons and seminars with awsome players and teachers, now if I only could apply 5% of what they teach :cry:

Regards, Daniel

PS: Welcome to the forum

Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:02 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Greetings,
I have had no intonation problems at all... Also understand that I am just getting to know the "little beast". However, I have not had a problem at all. As far as the synth patches and engines, I have dabbled with the factory presets for the GR-300 and have explored some of the other synth sounds.... What is suggested by the VG-99 forum, is to wipe clean the user presets, and build your own... What I am doing is finding a pleasing "modeled" guitar sound. What I like for the Stick is the Gibson L-4. Very warm... And then build FX on that base... ALso, I have discovered using the Seville Nylon String patch on the A and B side both, then lowering the tuning an octave gives you a great bass sound on the melody side, that is very cool. Also, the '99 has a Jazz and P-bass model as well. I combined the Jazz bass and the Bowed synth sound with some Modulation and got a nice Bootsy bass on the melody side... I stress this unit is very user friendly, and with the editing software it is really a breeze. The editing software is much like Guitar Rig. Lessons with Trey have been really helpful. He is a great player, and is very generous with his knowledge. best regards, Randy Clere

Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:46 am

How is the editing without the software? Sounds like you can get pretty cool ideas with it. I used to have a wp-20 waveproccessor synth pedal, and I bet this has an emulation of it. It was analog type sounds with no tracking issues. That would rule.

Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:01 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks for the intonation response. What inspired me to trade a bunch of gear for this was seeing what the California Guitar Trio can do with these. One song in particular, they did a Pink Floyd tune on their acoustic guitars (I'm assuming piezo pickups, didn't see any GK's). One of them was making a really cool synth tone, and one other doing the bass.

The editor blows anything I've ever seen away, you can swap effects around in any order you want. The only trick to remember is when you first set on up on your own, the virtual instrument and your normal instrument pickup have to be split between the two channels. I learned that the hard way as the instructions are not clear on this; I kept trying in the beginning to blend the mix in one channel. Everything is neatly layed out and you can make changes and setups pretty quick. So far I have not used the computer editor, have not needed to yet.

For my other instruments, makes a great effects box, where the main controls are easy to reach, and control the rest with the foot controller. I really was getting sick of the multi-effects boxes that spent a lot of time on top of my amp.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:40 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Editing on the "fly" is also very simple. I also use the new FC-300 pedal board that is designed to be used with the Vg-99. I is SO easy... all the changes you make are immediately translated to the pedal board!! Very cool! You do not need the pedal board, though. I have a new MacBook Pro, w/ the new Logic Studio. So many great soft synths and drums there. Also, Motu's Ethno Instrument program is great! 8-)

Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:54 pm