It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:01 pm

I tried a Bose L1 model II system yesterday! 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post I tried a Bose L1 model II system yesterday!
I was at a music university to do a live looping and Stick clinic yesterday and the theater they scheduled me at had a Bose L1 model II system with two towers and one bass module. I had brought my SG12 and played with my normal laptop rig's stereo output with the two Bose towers as left vs right channel speaker. I did not like the sound at all. This system sounded too thin in the mid frequencies and the SG12's distinct and snappy PASV tone felt too "hard and metallic". The low end was fine though. I'm sorry I did not bring my Grand as well because the Grand's PASV tone is warmer by default (but "slower" and more "clunky" sounding).

For some time I've been interested in a Bose system for future Stick amplification but after yesterday's experience I know that Bose is not for me :-) I have set up and trimmed my SG12 sound on fairly transparent Genelec studio monitors, so I'm pretty sure now about what coloring of the sound to expect from a Bose.

For reference, some live videos that display my normal "non Bose-fied" SG12 sound:
http://www.youtube.com/user/perboysen

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Last edited by Per Boysen on Wed May 11, 2011 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 07, 2011 10:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: I tried a Bose L1 model II system yesterday!
I tried both Bose I and II, and definitely the I is very nice but the II sounded like crap with my previous ACTV2 Grand Stick. Really crap. :roll:
I bought a JAM400 from SR technology and I didn't regret my purchase until now.

Sat May 07, 2011 12:46 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Similar but better.... I've been using The Fishman soloamp tower, and The QSC K12 powered PA speaker simultaneously. Treble (with Roland VG99) and bass of my half fretless goes through both units with some output splitting, so two sounds from each. Great clarity and fullness in surround sound. Sometimes add Hartke bass amp. Each unit brings a different sonic personality and combined is something else. The sound is killer.
Using this set up tonight in a duo format with a great and tasty drummer.
Can't wait.

Steve A

Sat May 07, 2011 3:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Lee Vatip wrote:
Similar but better.... I've been using The Fishman soloamp tower, and The QSC K12 powered PA speaker simultaneously. Treble (with Roland VG99) and bass of my half fretless goes through both units with some output splitting, so two sounds from each. Great clarity and fullness in surround sound. Sometimes add Hartke bass amp. Each unit brings a different sonic personality and combined is something else. The sound is killer.
Using this set up tonight in a duo format with a great and tasty drummer.
Can't wait.

Steve A

Do you run both channels of the stick into the soloamp, then the DI out of the soloamp into the QSC? Or, do you run the treble side of the stick to the soloamp, and the bass side to the qsc separately?

~T

#5484 Padauk 12 String Grand Stick, PASV-4 MR
#5727 Osage Orange 10 String Stick, PASV-4 MR

- Ted

Sat May 07, 2011 4:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I run 2 treble lines out of the VG 99, one into each speaker. I do likewise with an Alessis reverb unit I throw onto the bass. Two outs, one into each speaker. Result is each speaker gets a treble and Bass output

Sat May 07, 2011 10:58 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

BTW-the sound was great for tonight's gig and even better, the drummer was outstanding. A joy to have good chemistry, creativity and taste in a duo setting.

Sat May 07, 2011 11:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery