It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:09 am

Stickup and preamp input impedance 

Post Stickup and preamp input impedance
I'm a new stick player and I know this question probably comes up a lot, but digging through some old threads didn't really answer my current dilemma. I've been playing a stickup through a Rane SP13 and am thinking of getting some alternate preamps to get different tones. I've read previous threads saying the stickup should be used with high impedance inputs, some saying at least 1MOhm, and I saw another post saying at least 2Mohm is best. Is generally the higher the input impedance, the better the tone and response will be?

I'm interested in the Tech21 sansamp products. I was looking at the Sansamp GT2 for the melody side and can't find any info on the input impedance. I'm guessing it might be lower, around 1Mohm. I guess my concern is if this is sufficient for running the stick directly, or if I'm going to lose something compared to the SP13. I would consider putting it in the insert loop of the SP13, however it specifically says it's design for instrument levels and will be overdriven with hotter signals. Anyone have any experience using this unit?

I'm also interested in the Sansamp Para Driver (or RPM rack version) for the bass side. It says it has an input impeance of 4.7Mohm, so I assume I should be best going direct into this. There's also the RPM rack version that has a line-level input, so I suppose I could put that in the SP13 loop. Not sure which is the better option. Anyone have any suggestions here?

Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:24 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Stickup and preamp input impedance
Just get a Sansamp ,plug in and don't worry about it. Tony Levin uses a Stickup and he doesn't use any preamps,the Stickup I had seemed like a regular humbucking pickup to me.
The less stuff you have between the Stick and your amp/"Sans amp " the better.

BassLabs 10 string #5050
PASV4
baritone melody
Mesa Walk About bass amp
Mesa TA-15 amp

Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

OK, good point. Thanks! I figured I might be over-analyzing things a little. I was just nervous about spending money on gear that may not work the way I expect. After thinking more, I'm leaning towards simply getting the 2 pedals (GT2 and Para Driver) run bass and melody direct to each and then to a mixer and be done with it. Simple and straight forward.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:26 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Rob Lesko wrote:
Just get a Sansamp ,plug in and don't worry about it. Tony Levin uses a Stickup and he doesn't use any preamps,the Stickup I had seemed like a regular humbucking pickup to me.
The less stuff you have between the Stick and your amp/"Sans amp " the better.

i thnk the tone bone jx2 in TL's pedalboard handles the impedance "bufferiing"
like a DI box. it seems to have a 1M Ohm inout impedance.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:38 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I was just thinking about how mismatched my impedance must be. I'm super guilty of just running into pedals or bypassing preamps. Im always confused which pedals have built in preamps. I think my E/h micro synth does since there is a screw underneath that adjusts volume.

Hey, what ever happened to M&M's basslab preamp pedal? Is that for sale yet or whats up? I would ideally get a stepabout but this pedal was alot cheaper.

Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:43 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jeff,

I use the Sans Amp Bass Driver on my bass side of my Bamboo Grand.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/bassdriverdi.html

It works incredible, and the sustain and clarity is everything you want. An uber-excellent bass player and long time friend, Stan Szymanski, Jr.. recommended it, and even with it off, there "appears" to be tube compression. Plus, I spoke directly with the folks at SansAmp, and they couldn't be more knoweldgeable and nicer. Stan uses if on his board too! He uses his own loops and then solos/sings over top. check him out. real nice harmonics at the end.

http://web.mac.com/stan_szymanski/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

The SansAmp Bass Driver even has a sample setting for Chapman Stick, which Emmett knew about. There's also a setting called "Crimson" so there you go! it can get grnawly if you want it, but I run it pretty clean with some presence for the higher strings. It's stayin in my pedalboard!

hope this helps,
Dave Brosky

Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:48 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Dave, thanks for the tip.
I was considering the Bass Driver, however researching the units more I think the Para Driver will suit me better. Tons of bass players seem to prefer the Para Driver primarily because it has a sweepable mid freq adjustment. It apparently adds a lot more flexibility in tone. Plus it is designed to work well for other instruments including acoustic guitars with piezo pickups (which I also have). So it will work as a dual purpose pedal for me. :D

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:53 pm

I've never really been sure about the whole impedence thing as well, I've always been plugging direct.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery