It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:17 am

Stereo Rig Question 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Stereo Rig Question
For you guys who run in stereo--how do you manage stereo signals when you also utilize stereo effects for *both sides* of the instrument?

In other words, say you have an overdrive and stereo reverb/chorus (for rhythm/lead) on the "high side," but mostly clean tone and a stereo chorus (optimized for bass) on the "low side."

Using stereo units, that would be 4 discrete signals you have to somehow matrix back into your rig before they get amplified.

...or am I making things too complicated? :roll:

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Stereo Rig Question
When I used to use a rack of effects I had a simple line mixer to combine the various stereo signals (sometimes including synth), then there would be one stereo output to the PA or other amp(s).

WIth a more scaled down stereo setup, if I want to run in stereo I would just run the left channel of each effect chain to one amp and the right side to the other amp (if the amps have multiple channels).

Most live situations I just run mono, even if the effects are sometimes stereo. Right now the only effects processor I use is a POD HD 500 which can have two stereo effects chains. I have two sets of patches for two configurations- discrete mono (melody and bass are output on the left and right channels respectively, which go to two different channels on my SoloAmp) and stereo (signals are combined into one stereo image).

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:42 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

robmartino wrote:
When I used to use a rack of effects I had a simple line mixer to combine the various stereo signals (sometimes including synth), then there would be one stereo output to the PA or other amp(s).

WIth a more scaled down stereo setup, if I want to run in stereo I would just run the left channel of each effect chain to one amp and the right side to the other amp (if the amps have multiple channels).

So, any way you slice it, you end up having to sum at least the Lefts and Rights for each chain. That's helpful. :)

Quote:
Most live situations I just run mono, even if the effects are sometimes stereo. Right now the only effects processor I use is a POD HD 500 which can have two stereo effects chains. I have two sets of patches for two configurations- discrete mono (melody and bass are output on the left and right channels respectively, which go to two different channels on my SoloAmp) and stereo (signals are combined into one stereo image).

Glad to see you're enjoying your HD500. I have an X3L, which has done a great job--but has really been more than I need from an effects standpoint. Almost too many parameters/variables to manage for the three patches I really use in a gig.

...but for some reason "Stereo" is calling me...and that makes routing rather interesting when you're looking at a rack-effects solution. ;)

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:35 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

when i do stereo.... i use my line 6 ux8.. with pod farm software... i go out of into my computer tto the run the software adn then i use a dual set of hartke hydrive amps with direct outs

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:32 pm