It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:49 am

PJB cabs, Tube Amp questions, etc. 

Post Re: PJB cabs, Tube Amp questions, etc.
I bought a Mesa M6 Carbine combo, it excellently accomplishes the loud rocking stick tone i've been wanting. My setup is the same as before, but with the M6 replacing the Line 6.

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thought I'd bump this up since I've got good pictures of the amplifiers I've got now. Click the "Gallery" tab at the bottom of my post.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Lucas wrote:
I was just re-reading how I described my signal path and realized an important omission. By "summing-up" the stereo pickup as I put it, I meant that it is a TRS to TS cable. I also left out the 7-band DOD stomp EQ that comes before the Morley ABY. So the signal path goes like this: Stick-TRS-TS-Graphic EQ-ABY-split to Bass and Guitar amps so both stick sides go into both amps. I guess it's kinda like having the stickup as a mono pickup right from the start.

The graphic eq goes from 100Hz to 6400Hz. I fumble around with the sliders, but it's generally in a gentle low-mid boosting curve with a bit more significant dropoff in the 6400Hz slider. I set the level slider about 85% so that it gives a sort of clean drive/boost to signal.

Since I opened myself up for a little preamp discussion, I'll put in another couple questions: Is a TRS - TS cable considered acceptable for combining the signal? Is the graphic EQ more or less accomplishing what a preamp would be doing?

I know that alot of these tonal discussions can be really subjective, but I'm always open to ideas. Gear talk is fun.

I would avoid pretty much anything from DOD but specifically the 7 Band EQ you mentioned. It is a huge tone suck. Not sure why exactly but I found with all of the sliders at the null, it just sucked the life out of the pickups.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:27 pm