It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:45 pm

PJB cabs, Tube Amp questions, etc. 

Post PJB cabs, Tube Amp questions, etc.
My current stick rig is a Line 6 LD150 combo and a redbear MK120 head. I sum up the stereo stick output into a mono, then split the signal with an ABY box so both sides of the stick run into both amps. The redbear head is supposed to be a guitar amp, but I use the master volume and gain in a reverse fashion to get more of a loud natural overdrive sound. I like the way it sounds, but I think the guitar 4X12 I run it into limits the amount of bass I can get out of the head. Consequently, I use the bass combo amp to shore up the lower end.

That being said, here's the question: Will running a guitar head into a bass cabinet allow me to get more bass response? It seems logical, as bass cabs are tuned to handle the bass spectrum better, but am I just asking too much of the guitar head?

Regardless of if the guitar head can be "helped", I'd like to get my hands on a Phil Jones cab of some sort. I really like his smaller driver concept, and have read a lot of good stuff about it, anyone have experience with these? Are they good for the stick? Hopefully it's not a bunch of unfounded hype.

As far as tube guitar amps, there's pretty much an endless array of manufacturers to choose from in all price ranges and amp configurations. Bass tube amps don't seem to be as plentiful though, or maybe I'm not looking in the right places. I've also heard that the venerable SVT ampeg lines don't really live up to the older standards. Besides the typical stuff on Musicians Friend or otherwise (Ampeg, Markbass, Aguilar, etc), who's manufacturing good 200-300 watt tube bass heads?

Hopefully my gear rambling makes some sense. I've got a christmas bonus that's been burnin' a hole in my pocket, and I live in a remote enough area that I can make some ultra loud rockin' stick without bothering anyone. The crux of my questioning is what kind of gear I should get to make some loud rocking stick?

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:01 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: PJB cabs, Tube Amp questions, etc.
I have a PJB Suitcase (which for me is a perfect Stick Amp).

also very nice paired with this:

http://www.philjonespuresound.com/products/?id=21

or as a small Bass Cab with another amp,

and I also have,(and really like a lot) :

http://217.64.194.186/products.php?ling ... 2&vedi=156

Lee

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:21 pm
What kind of pickup is on your Stick?
If it's a passive one (Stickup or PASv4) then I would recommend a dual channel preamp or DI Box before you sum your stereo outputs.
Summing the channels can "flatten out" the dynamic range of the passive pickups and also degrade the tone a bit.

Most guitar amps and bass rigs may not have the appropriate input impedance to match with a passive Stick pickup (this all assumes you dont have the ACTV2)

Randy

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:50 pm

I have a polycarb w/stickup. I ordered a new stick just the other day, but, it won't be ready for half a year.

Just about everybody in the gear section brings up preamp units, but for whatever reason, i've never even thought very much about getting one. I just had one of those revelatory "duh" moments though. The "duh" being that everyone else has realised for quite a while that the stick is neither a bass or guitar at all and thus needs to be preamped to function with amplifiers not intended for it. I'll hafta read through the various preamp posts again, there's obviously alot said about those already.

I imagine alot of the tone issues that I've sometimes felt were just quirks of the stick could be mitigated by a preamp unit, which is what about everyone except me probably has found already.

So, I still want to get a big loud rig, but the first piece should (now) obviously be a decent preamp.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:10 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
I have heard a lot of people talk about DI Boxes - I think you are looking at less than $100. Other Stick specific preamps can get quite expensive (Rane SP-13, Stepabouts, etc go for $350 - $800)

You would like something with at least 1 to 1.5 mega-ohm impedance or greater to really match well with the Stickup.

You can mono-sum the signals after they have been through the preamp and suffer very little or no signal degradation, and greatly improve the tone and dynamics of the signal itself, with or without mono-summing them.

Randy

Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:19 pm

I'm glad the preamp issue was identified, like I said, it was just something that I just wasn't registering. I tend to be one of those signal path purists, but in the case of the stick my lack of interface in this situation was well observed. It's got me a little excited even, I know that for the time being I can get something pretty simple to improve my tone until I've fully researched and decided on a more ultimate stick rig.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
I hear you. It never occurred to me either.

I was really impressed by the improvement in sound quality when I started using a preamp (a Rane Sp-13). It was an expensive purchase - but the difference in tone was really incredible. I think you can get just as good if not better results with a much cheaper and smaller version.

Good luck- keep us posted if you do make a change.

Randy

Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:47 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Randy wrote:
I was really impressed by the improvement in sound quality when I started using a preamp (a Rane Sp-13). It was an expensive purchase - but the difference in tone was really incredible.

Same here. I play a Stick with Stickup and the difference was amazing. I have no experience with the Rane, but the StepAbout or the TheMMamp (which I have) are designed with the Stickup in mind, so the gain in better sound is maximal.

https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/jenko-nashorn

Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:54 am

Location: From far away as Jupiter sulfur mines, way down by the methane sea.
PASV4 in contrast to the Stickup is much "hotter" and has more "control". What's the feeling on the need for a Preamp w/ PASV4?

Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:26 am
Contributor
Contributor

beta14ok wrote:
PASV4 in contrast to the Stickup is much "hotter" and has more "control". What's the feeling on the need for a Preamp w/ PASV4?

I have no need for a preamp with my PASV4 ,I plug into a wah and then my Mesa amp.
The pickup is very hot . The less stuff you put between the Stick and the amp the better.

BassLabs 10 string #5050
PASV4
baritone melody
Mesa Walk About bass amp
Mesa TA-15 amp

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery