It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:59 pm

Question regarding the Roland GK-3 
Post Question regarding the Roland GK-3
Question regarding the Roland GK-3:
On the Roland GK-3 pickup is it possible to turn specific strings on and off..?
i.e.: If you have a GK-3 on a SB8 but don't want the GK-3 to pick up string five and six can you turn those two strings off in order to process them with strings seven and eight..?
Thanks to all - Keith

Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:31 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Question regarding the Roland GK-3
On the GK istelf - no. Unless you physically disconnected the pickup wire inside the GK3 or in the 13-pin cable. However the same effect can be done on most of the GK to midi converters (V-bass, GI-20, VG-88, etc..). Thhis is usually done in the patch programming. In some of the newer systems it might be able to be done under a global settings...but I can't say that for sure.

[color=#0000CC]http://www.ambientstickist.com

Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:42 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

boyerk wrote:
Question regarding the Roland GK-3:
On the Roland GK-3 pickup is it possible to turn specific strings on and off..?
i.e.: If you have a GK-3 on a SB8 but don't want the GK-3 to pick up string five and six can you turn those two strings off in order to process them with strings seven and eight..?
Thanks to all - Keith

I no longer have the VG-99 but I remember virtual instruments like a Mandolin, Banjo, or Uke that used 4 or 5 strings with the last one or two strings turned off. I could also adjust the volume of each individual string, so I'm sure it can be done, but only through the effects box you are using. The PU itself does not have that feature.

You have a GK pickup that handles eight strings? I thought they could only go up to six.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:07 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

LOL - I just saw that - GK3 on an SB8....need to read more in depth... :)

If you are trying to use a standard GK3 with the SB8 you need to make sure that each of the pickups on the GK are under a single string on the SB8. I don't know what the sppacing is on the SB8 but on my Grand it's .3" which is much closer then the standard GK spacing. This is why Stick Ent. offers the modified GK pickup.

Will a standard GK work? Hard to say - you won't get the seperation that some patches will need. Anything doing pitch shifting or pitch-to-midi will have a rough time at it - if it works at all. Standard processing like chorus, verbs, etc. should be ok.

[color=#0000CC]http://www.ambientstickist.com

Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:04 am
I would be using a GK-3 from SE that was also installed by SE on a SB8

The main reason I would want this ability is to process strings 1-4 with GK-3 capability while keeping strings 5-8 as non GK-3 for separate processing especially if using 8-String Interior Matched Reciprocal, Interior 8-String Classic or 8-String Interior Dual Bass Reciprocal tunings
Thanks All - Keith

Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:50 am