It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:07 am

non-custom Gk midi pickup? 

Post non-custom Gk midi pickup?
hello all!

i'm new here, and i'm about to receive my first tapping instrument in the next few days! :o i have a question for you. i already have a gi-20, and i'm looking to hook up my new fretboard! i know that SE makes a customized midi pickup and i'm sure that it's great, but i am literally broke and "shouldn't" even be buying the instrument in the first place (although i know it's worth it).

with that in mind, i'm just wondering if anyone has had good (or bad) experiences using a standard roland GK2, GK2a, or GK3 on their melody side. i'm also curious about the GK3b. does anyone know if the GKb series actually has different magnets specifically made for the low frequencies? are the electronics the same with a wider string spacing?

basically my main concern is the string spacing. i've found some GK2's and GK2a's locally for $75-$90, but i'm wondering if my strings will be too far apart. i'm pretty sure they'll be about as wide as a bass spacing.

the only difference i've found between the Gk2 and the Gk2a is that the 2a is humbucking. does anyone know how the tracking compares?

the instrument in question is a 10 string baritone melody krappy. i don't have a midi pickup here to test it out on. how well does it work for you on your stick?
thanks all of your help so far! can't wait for the new stick night video! :mrgreen:

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:57 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: non-custom Gk midi pickup?
the GK pickups not only have a different string spacing than a Stick GK unit does, but also has a radius curve to better match the curve of a guitar.

In short, I don't think it would be a good fit.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Not to mention the fact it's for a Krappy tapper, not a Stick. So even a Stick modified midi pickup may not fit properly.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:35 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Your best bet would be to send an email to Krappy and ask them what the string spacing is. IIRC the GK3 series are easier to adjust to various fretboard radius.

Here's a link to their site: http://krappyguitars.com/

I really should stop in some day and say hello...they're only 20 minutes or so from me.

You could also contact the person you are getting your instrument from - maybe they can get you the measurements?

[color=#0000CC]http://www.ambientstickist.com

Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:28 am

well i just won a gk3 in an ebay auction for pretty cheap, so it looks like i'll be trying it out. i'll let you know what the results are! thanks for the info everybody.

if it doesn't work out i can sell it on craigslist for the same price, maybe a little more.

Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:09 pm