It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:34 pm

Fuller bass from a Stickup 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Fuller bass from a Stickup
Here's Jim Lampi (who I alluded to earlier). He's got one of the best bass sounds I've ever heard from the bass side of the Stick. He gets that fretless "mwah" sound (think Pino Pallidino on the those Paul Young records in the 80's) and I believe he's not using any effect to get it. It's in the hands and Stick:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ2MP8wacIE[/youtube]

Bamboo #6277
Polycarb #2267

Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:39 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Wow, that was awesome! Do you notice that hiis bass sound takes on a quite different character depending on how hard he taps. My guess is that he uses a limiter to make that wide headroom possible within the band context. And isn't there a lot of fuzzy fret buzzing even on those "soft" notes? If that is correct I'd guess this bass sound is dependent on a well adjusted Stick as well.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Unless I'm mistaken, Jim's using the digitech BP8 with the fretless simulator! The harder you pluck/tap the more the sound expresses. I have one myself and its not a bad unit, but as far as I can find, the effect hes using is the only really useful on for stick. It really takes the edge off the bass side and rounds it out!

10 String BM Tarara Stick #5334
Bergen Norway

Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yeah here it is!

http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=522&start=10

10 String BM Tarara Stick #5334
Bergen Norway

Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Cool!!! Thanks for the clarification and link giedosst!

Eric

Bamboo #6277
Polycarb #2267

Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:41 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

maxr wrote:
The Sansamp doesn't appear to be available in UK, so I've got BidMate set up to snipe a used GT-8 on Ebay. I just downloaded the manual -yikes! 108 pages, starting with '...in order to feel assured that you have gained a good grasp of every feature provided by your new unit, Owners manual should be read in its entirety'. So the traditional procedure of twiddling a few knobs at random doesn't cut it with these then? Ah, no, here it is: 'The GT-8 comes with dedicated knob controls, which allow you to make adjustments intuitively.' - that means 'if you don't understand this manual just twiddle the knobs'.

I just love these manuals - ahem:

'Never strike or apply strong pressure to the display' - maybe I better read the manual after all to avoid that neccessity.

'To avoid disturbing your neighbors, try to keep the unit's volume at reasonable levels' - gosh, is that how you do it?

'Sitar Simulator' - Uh-Oh, far out.

Man, this thing's a monster, it could be a long winter 8-) . Do you guys remember if the 'fretless' sound came from using the Defretter facility, or is there a preset patch for it?

Thanks, Max

I looked at the manual online. I can't remember which button,"Master" or "Manual" toggled three choices (which I do not believe are described in the manual, I think it was Master) You want to shutoff the preamp and distortion. Do not use the defretter patch, set your own effect, I believe I mostly used the manual mode.

If I remember right, the gated flanger effect sounds a lot like several Pink Floyd tunes. I used the Sansamp as a preamp for bass instruments into this.

The unit became too complicated - I wanted to be able to shutoff and turn on the compressor in manual mode which is a small button. There are other compressors available, but I could never set this unit up exactly how I wanted.

I currently use a TC Electronic Nova Systems, which is better layed out, but does not have all the effects the GT-8 has.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:48 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

maxr wrote:
I'd like to be able get a fuller, but still 'growly' bass sound on demand from my polycarbonate Stick, with the original Stickup - something in the direction of fretless bass guitar or double bass maybe. My idea is to be able to switch from the original integrated bass and treble sound to a 'two instrument' sound. Anyone recommend a stomp box that achieves that to a modest degree for a modest outlay?

Thanks, Max
Hi Max,

I don't know if this is in the direction of what you're asking about, but when I'm treating the bass side primarily as a bass I like to use lots of compression. Often I'll equalize the sound on both sides of the compressor, boosting certain frequencies before to trigger compression and then boosting others after to retain a fat sound but with plenty of dynamics.

This tune is a good example of this technique applied to a two-handed bass sound:

Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:27 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Compression is a great idea - works very well. You could also apply a touch of chorus (not too much) or verb.

The other thing is - you didn't mention what string gauge you use. If you're using light - try the new mediums. I used to use the light gauge but found the bass less then satisfactory (for me) but upgrading to the new medium set really has worked out well.

[color=#0000CC]http://www.ambientstickist.com

Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:13 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

DaveS wrote:
If you're using light - try the new mediums.
I to had this experience of improved string sound when moving from light to medium. Yesterday I tightened the truss rod a bit and got an even better sound after that.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again guys. Greg - I love the growly, popping Stick sound from that track - nice! In fact, I ordered the CD, as the 'slap Stick' effect on the track you posted is one of the styles I want to learn.

There's not much I can do about string gauge, I'm afraid - my polycarbonate Stick has no truss rod, and is set up for light strings.

Those effects pedal post links are very useful. In the end I ordered a new Digitech BP80 stomp box (like a BP50 with a rocker foot control pedal, but cheaper for some reason). Some of the more elaborate multi effects appear to be a touch tricky to program.

Max

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:00 pm