It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:58 am

Opinions on Firewire Audio Interfaces 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Opinions on Firewire Audio Interfaces
DaveS wrote:
If I remember correctly doesn't the FF800 have only one instrument input compared to the FF400 which I believe has two?
Not sure about the FF800 but I can confirm that the FF40 has two inputs with instrument level option.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Per Boysen wrote:
DaveS wrote:
If I remember correctly doesn't the FF800 have only one instrument input compared to the FF400 which I believe has two?
Not sure about the FF800 but I can confirm that the FF40 has two inputs with instrument level option.

The 800 only has one, but it has some extra capabilities compared with the 400, including a limiter, overdrive gain and a speaker simulator.

I think the thing that is appealing to me the most about the 800 is the physical gain knobs. Too often in live situations, you have to be able to make corrections quickly. I guess this could be done with the total mix software, but somehow being able to "dial it in" really appeals to me.

Thanks again for all the opinions and insights.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
Too often in live situations, you have to be able to make corrections quickly. I guess this could be done with the total mix software
Not on the FF400. It has to be done in the "Fireface Settings" software. When working in the studio and tracking musicians (with my FF400) I always keep that window open on the Macbook screen (and the Logic Studio DAW on the external bigger screen) so I can instantly adjust the mic input level depending on what is going to be recorded.

BTW, the instrument level option inputs are 3 and 4 while 1 and 2 has the 48v phantom option.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Slow as I am to move on these things, I'm still looking.

The M-Audio ProFire 610 actually looks pretty good, but there's precious little about it online.

Anyone have any experience with this series of boxes or particular box?

Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:12 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Just remembered I forgot to tell one thing about the RME FF400, which is the box I use and know best: It can be used without the computer too but then you have to adjust settings by a knob on the front. This is a two-step process: (1) select the parameter to change, (2) set the new value. I never use this because the only situation I can think of is when something goes terribly wrong and the PA starts cranking out loud white noise and in this situation I would rather switch the global power switch (and reset) switch on the back of the box. THis have never happened to me though.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:23 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Hi Greg!

I use a ProFire 2626 with my laptop and really like it. Plenty of I/O - you have two ADAT ports for an additional 16 channels (you will need A/D convertors for that). No internal effects but it does have a 16 channel internal mixer should you need it. Two instrument inputs on the front which I've been using for my Stick. All other I/O is on the back (except for the two headphone jacks which are on the front).

Overall very happy. I had a MOTU Traveler which I really liked but had some issues getting it to work with the firewire port on my laptop (PC) and sold it. I talked to our M-Audio rep who loaned me a FW610 so I could see if it would work with the system and it did fine. I needed more I/O though so I went with the 2626. Of course I am using it on PC - I can't speak for how good the MAC drivers are.... If you get one - make sure you have the possibility of returning it should it not work out. (this is true of any interface).

[color=#0000CC]http://www.ambientstickist.com

Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:58 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks for the feedback, Dave. I like the size of the 610, especially for a portable rig.

Per, I'm sorry, but not having gain knobs for the inputs makes me nervous.

Now, everybody by my books please so that I can afford an RME Fireface 800. :) I still think that's what I'd really like to get.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery