It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:57 pm

iRig 
Contributor
Contributor

Post iRig
Hey everyone. Just thought I would share some first impressions of the amplitude/iRig software effects app. I have been messing around with it now for a week or so and have been fairly pleased.

To begin with, allow me to say that I don't regularly use software based effects, so bearing that in mind I think that they are decent and flexible. There is only a few effects missing from what they offer, one of which is a compressor which should roll out with a future update. I was looking for a practice rig and being that I own an iPad, it was a sensible investment. For those of you already using a iPhone, it may be something to check out without making a huge investment. The UI is flawless on the large screen of the iPad showing all four pedals and amp in the screen, something that is not accomplished on the iPhone due to screen size.

There are many options in regard to amp and cab selection with up to four effects in use at once. One cool feature is the ability to stack the same effect in the chain. This is excellent with delay in particular because it allows you to create some very cool compound polyrhythmic delays with varying degrees of feedback, level etc.

Some of the effects are not as useful as others. There is a wah which can be set to auto or manipulated on the screen or the accelerometer (tilting). The problem with that is obvious; you have no free hands to sweep the wah. The dirt pedals are good, but this leads to the biggest caveat....it's mono which mean there is no separation of effects for bass to melody. I don't usually process both sides the same way in any of my compositions, so those was a biggie for me.

All that considered, I still love it so far and have really enjoyed using it as a practice amp. I have yet to line out to a speaker system other than my surround system in the living room, which yielded lackluster results more or less due to the lack of volume. The sound in a good pair of headphones would please just about anyone when compared to other practice options.

Sorry for such a stream of consciousness post, I just finished practicing and it has gotten really late.....

Take care,
Steveoh

#5313 10 String Paduak
Silver Pearl Linear Inlays
PASV4
Matched Reciprocal

Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:55 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post iRig
Nice review !
I have an iPhone and was also thinking about iRig. But indeed? The mono thing is a bit of an issue. For practising it seems to be a good solution, but sometimes
Effects can be the core of the song (especially with ambieny stuff). But for
Pure practise, I think it's a handy gadet to have around :-)
Cheers,
Bas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:24 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: iRig
I have tried the Amplitube app myself. Here is a cross link to a topic I started about StompBox - the developer has indicated the next version will include stereo input capabilities.

http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3527

Take care,

Paul

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

That's great. I just purchased Stompbox myself, and though I just began using it, I already prefer it to amplitude for the sound quality. I do sort like the UI better in Amplitube, but I digress.

So for it to accept a stereo signal, you would most likely need another iRig adapter, because I don't think the adapt is TRS. I don't know about shelling out another forty bucks plus the cost of a dual female to single male adapter, either. I have used both apps for practice but haven't yet hooked it up to an amp, but it sounds great through a good pair of earbuds. :)

Steve

#5313 10 String Paduak
PASV4
Matched Reciprocal

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:00 pm

Wow, just stumbled across this guy on youtube. Its really not bad.
Mono sucks for the stick...
But really I would be most interested for the abilty to stick the iphone in your pocket, hook up some head phones, and take the stick where ever you wanted.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:41 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

My old mobile phone just got replaced by an iPhone and then I found the Ampltube 3 iRig app in the App Store. Seems great for practicing. But doesn't it require that special input and headphones listening jack gadget from IK Multimedia?

I

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it does require the adapter and a y splitter cable to take the Stick cable down to one male quarter inch input. The good news is that once you have that it can be used with other software based apps. I use mine for tuning with the Peterson Strobosoft software prior to practicing.

I am currently using both Stompbox and Amplitube, and liking them both for practice. Neither are perfect, but still both functional and worth the money IMHO.

Steveoh

#5313 10 String Paduak
PASV4
Matched Reciprocal

Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:35 pm