It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 3:10 am

Rig Kontrol - Guitar Rig 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Rig Kontrol - Guitar Rig
Hi there,

I know this topic belongs to some other forum, but I have done my share of research on this topic and I have not found a solution. I wonder if among you there is someone that has tried this. I have a “software” rig, composed of MainStage (Apple’s live performance software) and one of my plug-ins is Guitar Rig. I got Rig Kontrol (Guitar Rig’s foot controller) about a week ago. I wanted to use Rig Kontrol to change patches in MainStage (the host application) AND access the control of the Loop Machine within Guitar Rig.

After 78,212 combinations, tests, tweaks, configurations and a sore foot punching the buttons in the unit, I have not progressed a lot. I can make the unit do these things independently, but not together. Guitar Rig’s ability to “learn” midi commands seems to be some sort of impossible to configure feature.

I wonder, among you oh stereo-instrumentalist that often have to deal with all this “has never been tried before”, if there is someone that has gone through this pain. Let me know.

Best regards,

Gustavo

Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:47 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Rig Kontrol - Guitar Rig
I ended up selling my Rig Kontrol and use one of my sound cards for the audio portion and control is from a Yamaha MFC10 midi control pedal. For me it offers much more versatility. Of course now there are two items to carry - the foot control pedal and the audio interface...but that's ok for me.

GR has had issues with how it handles midi - it seems it was never one of the areas of focus for the pedal. Perhaps there is a problem (I could be wrong on this as I don't have the RK anymore) in that the RK is only good for one channel - and that it needs to be assigned to either/or GR or Mainstage? It might be that you need to set Mainstage up to work with the RK pedal - but then set the Loop Machines controls to midi CC messages and program those into the RK assignments. In otherwords, take the RK out of it's native mode and use it as a midi controller only and have GR setup to receive midi CC messages...

Dave

[color=#0000CC]http://www.ambientstickist.com

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:57 am
thewildest wrote:

After 78,212 combinations, tests, tweaks, configurations and a sore foot punching the buttons in the unit, I have not progressed a lot.
Best regards,

Gustavo

It's always the 78,213rd config that works. Trust me. Give it another shot.

Randy

Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:28 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

:lol:

Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:32 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I have an old habit of avoiding NI plug-ins (except for Kontakt) so I can't speak of hands-on experience. But from what I've seen of other people's issues, as I have been helping them, this is the strategy I would think gives the least CPU hungry and the most stable setup:

- Do not send in any external control MIDI directly into the Guitar Rig plug-in. This may work fine with GR standalone but tends to cause conflicts with the host when running GR plug-in (seen such conflicts in both Ableton Live, Mainstage and Bidule hosts).

- Instead you should use only host based MIDI control. This means creating on-screen objects (knobs, faders, buttons....) in Mainstage's Layout window, assigning them to your external MIDI control events (coming in from the Rig Kontrol I would guess) and then go to Mainstage's Edit window to connect these on-screen objects to parameters in the software (Guitar Rig's and Loop Machine's parameters).

- For each sound variation in Guitar Rig that you want to play with, make a new Mainstage patch containing an instance of Guitar Rig set to that particular sound. (if you want Loop Machine playback to continue over patch changes you should create one GR instance at concert level for Loop Machine)

- Set up your pedalboard (Rig Kontrol) to send MIDI Program Change events in order to directly call up Mainstage patches. You may also use whatever two external MIDI events assigned to Maisntage screen objects hooked up to "Next Patch" and "Previous Patch". Two ways, your choice.

It's important to keep track of sync settings for multiple GR instances vs Mainstage.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks all for your feedback and Per, what to say, your expert feedback is for me a unique source of enlightenment. I did not know the trick of using the screen controls as the bridge to get the commands from a MIDI controller to whatever was underneath. This changes the game for me, I truly appreciate the time you put to clarify this one. Looking at the numerous guys that as me were clueless about what to do in multiple forums, this is very valuable info. I will extend your generosity to enlighten some of them on my own.

As per the Rig Kontrol, after trying a few things, I may end sticking to my old FBC1010 and upgrade it to the UnO version, so I can use the unit as it had stomp boxes and thus run N-I's looper, which so far, for what I tried, it is pretty good.

Thank you very much!!!!

Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:07 pm