It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:46 pm

Slow Gear/Frettless 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Slow Gear/Frettless
Are They one and the same? That effect in the PODX3 Live doesn't seem to like the stick too much...or maybe it's my technique. Either way, it's grouped w/ the fuzzes and I'm wondering if anyone's had experience w/ "outboard" units. I'm looking for that elusive T.L. "Frame by Frame" sound. Maybe I'll just put it on the floor and get my volume pedal chops back up... :ugeek:

Marty

P.S. I used the "uber geek" smilie not because I am one but because it looks like me-big glasses (when I'm not looking at neck) and "soul patch".

Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:08 am
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Slow Gear/Frettless
I had a PodX3 and got rid of it, but am thinking of picking one up again. I guess Guitar Center is having some big sale on Monday maybe I'll pick one up.

-Curtis

Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:42 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I don't think they are the same, but maybe they work on a similar principle (altering the attack characteristics of the sound). I use slow gear all the time, to fade in the attack of the sound to get a synth-like timbre.

For the TL sound you might want to try a phaser.

What do you guys think of the X3 overall? Does the aux input work well to process both sides of the Stick?

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

The effect is called "ramp" in the POD. Curtis-if G.C. has it on sale, they owe me a rebate. I'll have to stop in Mon., I'm gonna get their extended warranty. (I still have the jitters-I took the first one back because it changed my preset by itself). Rob- I love it.(except for the fact the wah is BEFORE the fuzzboxes and you can't move it in the chain-a total waste for how I like to use it-to wah the fuzz.) You set the AUX for another input, set it up however you want, and both inputs change together. I THINK you can set it so one input stays the same(like the bass) and change just the melody presets, but I haven't exploredit that far yet. But you're still using up a preset, so I just set up different melody settings and copy the bass with it. I've been using the acoustic models on the melody- they're usually board mixer preamps or piezos-and they're pristine. Just the fact I have two "preamps" for my stick is all the thrill I need right now. But the modulation (chorus,flange) delays, reverbs,distortions-they're all right on. And on "Song" presets, for instance,"Machine Gun" has a '67 Marshall head w/ a '68 speaker bottom, so the modeling is pretty precise (and the Univibe!!!)

Marty

Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:04 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

MarTroiD wrote:
I'm looking for that elusive T.L. "Frame by Frame" sound. Maybe I'll just put it on the floor and get my volume pedal chops back up... :ugeek:
I just listened to (a version of) FbF again and I think it *is* achieved just using a volume pedal. There *might* also be some subtle phaser or chorus on some versions of the song, but that's just extra garnishing anyway. Will try it out myself this week and report back.

Cheers,

EG

Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:31 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

MarTroiD wrote:
Are They one and the same? That effect in the PODX3 Live doesn't seem to like the stick too much...or maybe it's my technique. Either way, it's grouped w/ the fuzzes and I'm wondering if anyone's had experience w/ "outboard" units. I'm looking for that elusive T.L. "Frame by Frame" sound. Maybe I'll just put it on the floor and get my volume pedal chops back up... :ugeek:

Marty

P.S. I used the "uber geek" smilie not because I am one but because it looks like me-big glasses (when I'm not looking at neck) and "soul patch".

Marty,

I've been using "defretter" effects on Boss and Zoom pedals for some time.
It's similar to the slow gear effect, except the attack of your sound is instant. While I sometimes use volume swells on the high end, I find that a "df" effect tailored to bass is more useful on Stick bass parts. An example of what I'm talking about is the first song on my Myspace page, which was done with new strings and a Zoom pedal.

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:44 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Slow Gear and defretter are not the same. Defretter will mess with the attack just a little and is also a modulation effect. Slow Gear is an adjustably slow attack. Historically SG effects are a bit tricky with notes from six strings coming in at once so you have to develop the technique to make them work the way you want. Some SGs are, of course, better than others.

TL uses a volume pedal for these kinds of effects. He also generally applies compression and phaser to get the start of his "sound." I use the word "start" because the rest is in his fingers.

Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:42 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, as allways, it boils down to the obvious yet most-hard-to-deal-with answer..."my technique". Soooo.

Marty, back to the woodshed.

Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:33 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

If you want to play a slow gear effect, you must play with a "good" technique, without "noise" between the notes you want to play. It's rather difficult to play with this effect. I used to have one, but now I prefer to play with my foot on the volume pedal. Control is far better, but it's a bit tricky to coordonate one hand with the foot.

Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Could someone give an example of this sounds you are speaking of? Any luck getting it on the X3 Live?

-Curtis

Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:03 am