It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 pm

Mac Laptop Question 

Post Mac Laptop Question
I have many PC's, desktops, laptops, but I want to look into a Mac laptop to use in live performaces. Using as a software looper. I know nothing about Macs. So do any come with audio interfaces that you can actually use, or do most people who use them use something like a firewire audio interface or other type to get good performace.
And if I were to use this for just a software looper, what specs do you think I would need. I want to go used, not latest and greatest to keep the price down.
Any suggestions???
Mike

Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:49 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Mac Laptop Question
I'm fairly new into MAC computers (as of last June) and use my iMAC for recording with Logic Express 9. You will need an interface, firewall is best from what I'm told. I think Logic Studio 9 comes with a looper in the included Main Stage program. I'm not sure, I have Logic Express not Studio and Express doesn't include Main Stage. Apples AINT CHEEP! You won't find a deal, they are more or less the same price new everyplace. I think you could run a Macbook pro 13" ($1200) and a firewire interface. The new macbook (white shell) is their cheapest laptop at $999 stock but doesn't offer firewire anymore so you probably want the PRO. And I'd recommend upping the ram to 4 GB. I like Presonus firewires but most will work and price kind of depends on brand and number of inputs and features. Logic Studio cost $499 I believe and is an amazing recording program that also includes a program called "Main Stage" that's made specifically to be used live turning your Mac into a live processor and synth.

I love Macs, as a matter of fact soon I'll be buying a macbook myself so I have something portable and I'll use my big iMAC mainly for recording. They are much more stable than PCs and and the Logic recording program is amazing for the money. They also don't get PC virus's which is a HUGE plus. You literally don't need a virus protection program. BUT that's at a cost. When you buy the best it aint cheap, but IMO it's worth it.

Good luck

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:50 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Per Boysen recently posted something on another thread. Without trying to embarrass Per, the man is a known authority on the subject of using software in live looping contexts. I'd recommend getting in touch with him.

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:38 pm

Thanks guys. One of the reasons I'm looking at software loopers is, there was a post on here linking to an interview by someone, which didn't work, but on that site I found a video of zoe keating. I've had a cd by her for a while and several by imagen heap. They both use laptops in there performances and are great at looping. I know Imagen has a hardware looper but I read that Zoe was using a MAcbook Pro with a freeware looper called SnopperLooper
http://www.essej.net/sooperlooper/
and also using the looper in ableton live.
In this video it looks like she has three instances of the looper running, not sure though...
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/05/keating/
The bottom video runs and then goes to a second one which she talks about her rig.http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1911416353?bclid=1745181318&bctid=21847534001

So I went to the SnooperLooper site, and not having a Mac there was a link to a PC looper called Mobius. I downloaded it and tried the stand alone version an it is awsome. I configured it to be controled by my FCB1010. It has 8 tracks that I can switch to and from, turn off and on, overdub, control volume. Pretty much any funtion can be controled from the fcb1010. Kind of makes me want to sell my timefactor...

So I guess Macbook Pro with as much ram and a fast HD is what I might try and put together. My PC latops have dual core processors and 3 gigs of ram and would work but in light of the direction Microsoft has taken I'm thinking of changeing for my music software. I still run XP for recording. (I've got several XP, and several windows 7 machines, one each on my laptops, I've been running W7 since the RTM and it is just a cleaned up version of Vista which totally sucks). I also own Cubase 5 and can eaisily switch that to Mac being that it is dongle based.
Mobius is also avaialble for Mac, here is the link.
http://www.circularlabs.com/page3/page3.html
It is pretty awsome. I'll post my progress for any of you looper fans
Mike

Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:09 am

I am using a MacBook Pro, 2.8 GHz, 4GB Ram for both recording a looping. I run Pro Tools LE v8 and use an mBox II as my interface. My looping software is SooperLooper inside of Live with a boatload of plugins.

Portability is important to me and I don't need a ton of buttons at my disposal. My controller is Tech 21 MIDI Moose, MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller, and Boss FV-500L which I chain together into the MIDI port on the mBox II. (There's an interesting post on the Ableton Live forum about using a Line 6 FBV Express MK2 via the USB interface as a controller. Portable and pretty inexpensive. That and a small audio interface could be interesting.)

It all works great, I've had six loops and a dozen plug-ins going simultaneously without taxing the setup. This is working well for me and what I do. Your mileage may vary.

More about my plug-ins on the gear page at http://www.lorenclaypool.com.

MySpace
Facebook
iLike
Twitter

Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:41 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

duclon wrote:
I want to go used, not latest and greatest to keep the price down.
Any suggestions???
Mike

Hi Mike,

If shopping for a used Mac, at least get one with the Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I use the first MacBook model that had the "Santa Rosa chip" (white). It's a 2.2 GHz with Bus Speed 800 MHz and still serves me well as my live rig pre amp, live looper and "effect rack". Earlier MacBooks had not so efficient CPU's and Bus Speed so I look at mine as the first serious audio MacBook. Downside is no Firewire 800 (but most folks are fine with FW400 anyway) and only two USB ports (can pop in an USB hub if needed).

You need a good firewire based audio interface too; if you play guitar, make sure you get one that supports instrument line in level. I use an RME FireFace400 because it offers great sounding mic pre amps as well. Finally, I would not recommend buying a used computer. Get last years model instead from a computer store or from Apple, they just blow them out as new models arrive but the oldies can be just as good for musicians. 4 GB RAM is safe so far but expensive to buy from Apple - there are some cheaper RAM modules that work fine. Ask some "Mac guy" what third-party RAM to get, I'm afraid I have no idea although I have bought them for two Apple laptops so far (they are inside the boxes now and technical stuff just stays in my brain as long as needed and then.. poof!)

I too used hardware loopers in a huge rack until six years ago when I switched into using first Windows lappies, because the Mobius looper were Windows only in the beginning. After Apple released MainStage I can't see any reason to deal with Windows, it would cost a fortune to buy equally great sounding third party audio plugins to match what comes bundled with Mainstage (part of the Logic Studio package).

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:50 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mike,

Apple just announced a new MacBook this past week. New processors, graphics... - great! BUT... with the new computers, this means that retailers may have New Old Stock (NOS) machines at great deals. Here are the specs of the previous generation MB - http://support.apple.com/kb/SP512

They were $999.00US. I'm sure you can now get them at a greatly reduced price from either the Apple Store, or from Apple Authorized resellers.

The bonus of the previous generation over the latest model is that they still had Firewire 400. The new model lacks this connection, only 2 USB 2.0 ports.

Either way, get a newer generation Mac portable, Logic Studio (Mainstage 2 has looping capabilities built into the performance setup) and/or your choice of effects app (Guitar Rig, Amplitude...) and a looping app like SooperLooper, and you are set.

Good luck!

Paul

Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

The latest version of Ableton also features a live looper. Not sure how it compares with Superlooper or Mobius?

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:51 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

adde65 wrote:
The latest version of Ableton also features a live looper. Not sure how it compares with Superlooper or Mobius?

I've tried all three and got the impression that Sooperlooper can do what Live's Looper can and a lot more while Mobius can do all that and even more. What Mobius brings extra are (1) option to create and stack many alternative loops on each of the eight tracks and (2) option to script actions. Think about scripting as a way to assemble a bunch of actions to be carried out in a specified sequence from hitting one button - as opposed to doing the same thing tap dancing over a pedalboard or hammering the keyboard.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

You might want to consider which audio interface and applications you want to use before actually getting your laptop. You might find you really want an interface that is Firewire and since the new Mac laptops are not including Firewire you would need to find a NOS or used computer.

I always tell my customers - pick your applications and interfaces first before buying your computer - MAC or PC (yea - I'm a PC guy and have no stability problems ((neither does the computer)) - works fine. Win 7 can be tamed too.) More and more applications are being written cross platform - that doesn't mean they work well on both. Same goes for the interface. Once they pick the applications and interface, then see which platform they are best on.

Following this will help reduce any frustration down the line (and yea - you can have frustration on both platforms...)

Mobius is a great application and I don't think you are going to find better support on ANY software out there. If I'm not mistaken I thought that Jeff (the programmer) had said in the past that you could actually run more then the 8 loops that appear on the screen but that he only included the 8 because of the gui getting too cluttered...or something to that effect.

[color=#0000CC]http://www.ambientstickist.com

Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:01 am