It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:56 am

In case anyone cares ... 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post In case anyone cares ...
Many many years ago I was into model railroading. I would buy spools of "ribbon rail" (flexible track that came in long lengths where you cut the pieces you need) and every hobby store on the planet sold these "rail nippers" for clean precise rail cutting. As it turned out they were just general purpose diagonal cutters. So the railroad is gone ... but ... I've used these for string cutting ever since and they work extremely well. Mine are getting on in years and I managed to find and order the exact same ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Premier-Box-Joint-Diagonal-Cutters/dp/B00065DZCE/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1YNA8ZK79CJ3W&keywords=mascot+diagonal+cutters&qid=1708105716&sprefix=mascot+diagonal+cutters%2Caps%2C102&sr=8-1

Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:55 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: In case anyone cares ...
Here's a little diagram on the edge profiles for an understanding of what's going on
(you can also ask for "flush cutters" which is sort of a disambiguation)
https://www.kleintools.com/blog/cutting ... ein-pliers

I worked as a fret jockey (similar to a pump jockey...guitar grunt) through school and my boss always had me backwrap and then just wiggle the free end which would break the string off flush at the wrap. It's what I'm used to (It must be right b/c it's what I'm used to...I've become a bitter MAWG!!!)

has anyone tried newer school locking tuners? I'm out of date (Washburn wonderbar!) I've never played with them at all

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:33 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

BTW I still think Frantic (in all its various incarnations) is a friggin masterpiece

Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

BTW I still think Frantic (in all its various incarnations) is a friggin masterpiece

Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:01 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I've always modified my standard cutters with a 1X30 belt sander and then tempered the cutting edges to handle the harder wire that would normally destroy a store bought flush cutter. I find it easier to make my own tools rather than pay outrageous prices for inferior products from China.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:44 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

WerkSpace wrote:
I've always modified my standard cutters with a 1X30 belt sander and then tempered the cutting edges to handle the harder wire that would normally destroy a store bought flush cutter. I find it easier to make my own tools rather than pay outrageous prices for inferior products from China.

Mascot tools are made in Switzerland. Mine are over 30 years old and still cut through the thickest bass strings. I started searching for a second pair after the recent of however many times I misplaced them for days at a time.

Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:09 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I use a sword I found in a cave after escaping from being a gladiator for James Earl Jones' snake cult
....let me tell of you the days of high adventure

Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:06 pm