It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:40 pm

2 Channel Amps……..What are you guys using these days. 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: 2 Channel Amps……..What are you guys using these days.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:38 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

If you like the high end of the SA220, the Electrovoice EV50 or 30 should work a lot better. The EV50M has a ton of effects, and a higher price tag resulting. I have the EV50, can handle the low B of my NS and works pretty good for any instrument I run through it. But not really as good as a bass amp for a bass guitar. The subwoofer is made of wood, not plastic like most of their competitors. It does weigh more, if that's an issue. Bad thing is the price, the EV30 I believe is around the cost of the Bud discussed here.

On a smaller scale I use a pair of Bose S1's for stereo, battery power, and convenience. I get really good bass out of my Stick with a Stickup, the other has ACTV2, which I have to give the bass more boost.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:25 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm still in the "sitting in my home office with a Stomp XL and headphones" stage.

Should I ever play so others can hear it (the... horror..... :D ) I'll be using the Bose L1 Model 2 I've had for years.

The Stomp XL can process two channels separately and sum them to a mono output so there's your 2 channels. Or, I could run the Stomp XL in stereo, into a mixer attached to the Bose.

The L1 system--if you've never seen one, it's a seven-foot-tall line array with separate subwoofers--serves as my bass amp and does a terrific job. It's plenty powerful, ideally suited to full-range audio, has a nice, tight, punchy low end and is easy to transport as well.

I happen to have more than one of these, so if I want to get real fancy I could run a pair of them in stereo... but don't think I need to.

Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:50 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thx for the replies guys.
I may do what Ted said and introduce a small sub to my SA220.

Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

In recent years I've experimented with a Fishman Loudbox Performer, Schertler JAM and Hugh & Kettner Era 2.

Overall I like the Schertler the best since its bass response goes down to 40Hz, noticeably fuller bass sound compared to the Fishman and H&K. But I think I slightly prefer the warmer tone of the melody side and the reverb on the Fishman. The Schertler has a spring reverb simulation which I don't care for. I tried to like the Era 2 since it has the best effects options but the overall tone didn't inspire me for the Stick.

I think a Fishman with sub (I used to have an SA220) would be great - a reason I moved away from that amp was the lack of bass response, and I had some gig situations where a more traditional amp that could be tilted back as a floor stage monitor was more useful.

I'm not playing out these days and I tend to practice with headphones, so I'm not using amps much at the moment. Since I'm always using a small pedalboard or laptop based effects setup, if I do need live amplification I'd consider something like the Bose Pro8 or S1 plus sub setup.

@kevin-c - great to see you back!

@aaronp - nice to hear about someone else using mirrored 4ths! And also as you noted a slight side benefit- don't have to worry about finding an amp that goes below 41Hz!

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

kevin-c wrote:
Thx for the replies guys.
I may do what Ted said and introduce a small sub to my SA220.

A vintage thread on this topic:
https://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3279

#5484 Padauk 12 String Grand Stick, PASV-4 MR
#5727 Osage Orange 10 String Stick, PASV-4 MR

- Ted

Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

robmartino wrote:
In recent years I've experimented with a Fishman Loudbox Performer, Schertler JAM and Hugh & Kettner Era 2.

Overall I like the Schertler the best since its bass response goes down to 40Hz, noticeably fuller bass sound compared to the Fishman and H&K. But I think I slightly prefer the warmer tone of the melody side and the reverb on the Fishman. The Schertler has a spring reverb simulation which I don't care for. I tried to like the Era 2 since it has the best effects options but the overall tone didn't inspire me for the Stick.

I think a Fishman with sub (I used to have an SA220) would be great - a reason I moved away from that amp was the lack of bass response, and I had some gig situations where a more traditional amp that could be tilted back as a floor stage monitor was more useful.

I'm not playing out these days and I tend to practice with headphones, so I'm not using amps much at the moment. Since I'm always using a small pedalboard or laptop based effects setup, if I do need live amplification I'd consider something like the Bose Pro8 or S1 plus sub setup.

@kevin-c - great to see you back!

@aaronp - nice to hear about someone else using mirrored 4ths! And also as you noted a slight side benefit- don't have to worry about finding an amp that goes below 41Hz!

Hey Rob hope you're well brother.
I was looking into the hughs and kettner polar 12 although I haven't tried it yet. It has an integral sub. Has anyone here tried one of these systems?

My company will be flying to Edinburgh this summer. Are you still there? Lets go for a pint!

cheers,
kev

Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

kevin-c wrote:
My company will be flying to Edinburgh this summer. Are you still there? Lets go for a pint!

Yes I'm still here, that sounds great!

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I finally got around to repairing my Fender '65 Twin Reverb tonight. I found a website that walked me thru how it all worked and provided some useful schematics. https://robrobinette.com/How_Amps_Work.htm

The problem was that I could hear that the amp was on but none of the four inputs would pass a signal from my Stick thru the amp to the speakers.

The repair was very unconventional. I initially tapped on the tubes with a plastic chopstick and noticed that the reverb tube was creating a loud knocking noise on the speakers. I traced the wiring from the reverb unit back to the control board and discovered a lifted pad on the RCA connector circuit board. I made the repair and now everything works again.

Next up, is to try some of these cool modifications while the amp is still dismantled. https://robrobinette.com/AB763_Modifications.htm

Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:13 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Has anyone tried the digital version of the Fender Twin Reverb?
They have dual channels and are very lightweight. (33 lbs.)

Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:29 pm