It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:37 am

Roland GK3 MIDI pickup installation 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Roland GK3 MIDI pickup installation
Last night, I installed a GK3 MIDI pickup on my Railboard.
It was originally a 6 coil version, I cut a trace to make it a 5.
I used 3M VHB (Very High Bond) double sided tape.
The installation was fairly simple. Photo attached.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:27 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Roland GK3 MIDI pickup installation
This is so clever. Genius.

Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

let us know how the alignment works out (I wonder if ,Wayne Jones might have any suggestions on resurrecting GK for chapman stick)

FWIW, not being pedantic, keep in mind the GKs aren't, themselves MIDI, reason I bring it up is there are various hex processing options (the VG series for instance is processing based not pitch to glitch...I mean pitch-to-MIDI triggering, there's the spicetone 6appeal and the roland double pedals) hex slow gear is a really neat effect for example

Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:04 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Tapping instruments trigger differently than strumming instruments.
I've been using the GR-55 and VG-88 modelers for guitar work.
It will take a bit of experimenting but it should be fun. 8-)

begin again wrote:
let us know how the alignment works out (I wonder if ,Wayne Jones might have any suggestions on resurrecting GK for chapman stick)

FWIW, not being pedantic, keep in mind the GKs aren't, themselves MIDI, reason I bring it up is there are various hex processing options (the VG series for instance is processing based not pitch to glitch...I mean pitch-to-MIDI triggering, there's the spicetone 6appeal and the roland double pedals) hex slow gear is a really neat effect for example

Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:39 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

WerkSpace wrote:
Tapping instruments trigger differently than strumming instruments.
I've been using the GR-55 and VG-88 modelers for guitar work.
It will take a bit of experimenting but it should be fun. 8-)

eww...strumming (former classical guitarist :D , then again I could actually get the GR 700 to somewhat trigger correctly with that style!)
yeah, the string excursion is going to be less which is going to work in your favor. It's pretty clean (but mine is an SE modified GK, so I'd be interested to hear if you run into any cross talk, esp since we can't really get SE modded GKs anymore)
try the poly slow gear on the 88 I have an 8 and a 99 and they work very well and it's sort of nice if you want to tame the very articulate attack on the stick (if you want a rounder sound)...add a little EQ to make up for the pickup placement [or maybe try the modelling..I haven't I've just used the FX, the spicetone box actually runs a default bass boost on the clean for that same reason]

Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:18 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I resolved a problem with my GR-55. The issue was that when tapping a note, the model would play the note on the tap, but then play a second note when I release from the tap. I spent lots of time adjusting my Railboard but that didn't seem to help.

Then, I realized that the 'scale length' and 'bridge to GK3 pickup' settings were not updated in the GR-55. They were set to what my PRS Custom 24 was using. They work great on the guitar but the Railboard settings are very different.

I ran across a second problem. The 'scale length' was 900mm and the highest the GR-55 would allow was 640mm in ST mode. Also, I couldn't set the 'bridge to GK3 pickup' settings high enough either. After doing a bit of research, I discovered that I could change the GR-55 from guitar to bass mode. In bass mode, I was able to setup the Railboard properly and this got rid of the double tap note that I originally had.

This presents a third problem. The bass mode of the GR-55 is pretty limited in models. It doesn't have as many as the guitar mode. So, my solution to this problem is that I will try to make up my own custom GR-55 models that work well with my style of playing. So far, I like the Jazz Trio model. It triggers cymbals as part of the set. This sounds pretty cool when I play in conjunction with the bass and melody of the Helix Floor.

Either way, I've at least got the GR-55 Railboard setup to trigger properly. A lot of people have complained online that the GR-55 doesn't trigger properly. I asked them what 'scale length' and 'bridge to pickup' settings that they are using and they have no idea what I'm talking about. When instruments are properly setup, they tend to play much better. 8-)

Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:45 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I can dig it. I suppose it helps with filtering the fundamental.
it was something the tracking oscillators in the Gr 300 didn't really have to deal with as it didn't really have to change pitch into a discrete parameter so the attack noise was just musical noise (and if you had a slower attack even that wldn't show) during that same phase

the GR-700/Mc-1 era were more problematic

Q how is it doing on decay? (I mean if you get the initial pitch, I suppose you can make it stay stable just by dealing with envelope info...but then you probably can't process pitch bend as effectively. b/c you are mining older pitch info)

you know who might have some insight...rob martino, I believe he works on DSP in music apps

I always wanted to like the synth side better than I did. during the VG era I stuck to effects and HRM, didn't really truck with the models (though I think it might be time for a revisit) or pitch-to-midi triggering

thanks for the updates and keep us informed!!
I'm not so sure hex is as dead as people tend to make it

Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:39 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Most of my playing is pitch bending.
The GR-55 models, pitch bend with good accuracy.
I also use a lot of 'bar chords' when tapping.

The most important thing is an accurate setup.
I had to switch my GR-55 to Bass mode in order
to have the extended range settings for scale length
and distance between the bridge and GK3 pickup.
Once this was sorted out, the tracking works properly.

I spent some time this afternoon, making my own patches.
It's a lot of fun. I'm glad that I installed this system. 8-)

Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:58 pm
Contributor
Contributor

do you suggest this pedal set for the GK roland?? it's valid?
another question: do you think it is possible use it with Mainstage (Logic)?

Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:43 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I can't answer your question at this time. This is an experiment. I've owned the GR-55 for many years and it works great with my PRS Custom 24 guitar. It was never designed to work with the Railboard. I've been testing what it can and cannot do. There are limitations.

I use https://www.reaper.fm
I haven't used the Railboard with my DAW yet.
https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_pr ... s_manuals/

gabrystick wrote:
do you suggest this pedal set for the GK roland?? it's valid?
another question: do you think it is possible use it with Mainstage (Logic)?

Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:26 am