It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:25 pm

Hercules Basoon/Bass Clarinet stand as Stick stand 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Hercules Basoon/Bass Clarinet stand as Stick stand
A while ago I mentioned that I use a Hercules Basoon/Bass Clarinet stand as a Stick stand.

I'm sure I'm not the only one (I got the idea from @KenCardita on Bob's Zoom call, & I think I've seen other mentions?), but a very quick forum search didn't show any pictures.

I just took some today to answer a query from Nathen Aswell, so I thought I'd share them here too.

As supplied the rubber 'cup' that a bassoon is meant to stand in is not suitable to hold a Stick. My solution was to 'carve' the base rest, using a craft knief.

The result is a base that is (nearly) flat where the Stick rests, with a 'lip' to prevent the Stick slipping forward.

That means there are no 'sides' (& the base is only almost exactly the width of a Grand) but friction with the rubber of the base seems more then enough to prevent any tendency to slip sideways.

Attachment:
2023-05-30_11-51_DSCF9022_resize.jpg

Attachment:
2023-05-30_11-52_DSCF9023_resize.jpg

Attachment:
2023-05-30_11-53_DSCF9026_resize.jpg

Attachment:
2023-05-30_11-54_DSCF9027_resize.jpg

I think that @KenCardita took a different approach, and made a alternative base?

I also have the 'Ultimate Support' stand that SE supply (it arrived as part of the deal with my used bamboo Grand, after I'd bought the bassoon stand).

I find the bassoon stand easier to use (i.e. to place the Stick in). YMMV

PS. I made a small modification to my Ultimate Support stand. I found that in dim lighting seating a Stick, especially the black Graphite, in the recess of the stand was too hit & miss. Adding the yellow tape to the edges of the recess makes location noticeable easier.

Attachment:
2023-05-30_11-55_DSCF9029_resize.jpg

I guess I could do an equivalent for the bassoon stand, but I've never felt the need (with a light coloured floor, it's easy to see where I'm aiming for).

Edited for typo.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Last edited by DavidWS on Tue May 30, 2023 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 30, 2023 8:05 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Hercules Basoon/Bass Clarinet stand as Stick stand
That yellow tape is a nice tough there, David.

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Tue May 30, 2023 9:49 am