It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 pm

Wall Rack Redux 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Wall Rack Redux
I spent too much time designing a wall rack which can be seen here.

It works very well, but is fiddly - you can't just put your Stick in it and walk away, as without further engineering, you have to encourage the cams to grab the stick.

I've been intrigued by the thought of using what (to me) is the obvious mounting point, namely the belt hook. So, I just got through spending another inordinate amount of time and effort (fortunately the materials were all on-hand somewhere in my workshop stash) to try another approach.

This works well, doesn't have the drawback of the first attempt. The "paddles" that form the supports for the belt hooks have some suede on them just to make putting them in a bit more pleasant, but the cross-bar at the top, because the strings rest against it, have a strip of dyed and trimmed lambskin so the fretboards have a nice cushy resting spot. The vertical mounting piece is a hunk of 8020 aluminum extrusion. I lucked into an entire pallet full of 8020 offcuts at the scrap metal dealer which meant I bought a whole bunch of nice pieces for scrap aluminum prices by the pound!! However, you can attach the mounts to the wall directly, to a strip of plywood, hardwood or whatever you have that suits you. One downside is this extends about 8" from the wall. Fine for the spot where I keep them, but something to keep in mind.

The real challenge was getting the angle on those "paddles" right. If anyone is interested, I can post more assembly pics as well as picture of the table saw setup that yielded the proper compound angle to match the angle on the belt hook.

After finishing this, I'm thinking that just a tray or V-shaped channel in which to rest the bridge end of the Sticks would have worked just as well, but once the engineer in me starts running with an idea, I see it through to completion!! :lol:

Attachment:
39CD1238-C102-4689-B58B-E4178A61B0A4.JPG

Attachment:
A732C5A3-37F6-4ED7-A02E-5169BCA02581.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:59 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Wall Rack Redux
Very impressive! I like this very much.
I can envision a Stick Store in the future
with hundreds of Sticks on display. 8-)

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:13 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

WerkSpace wrote:
Very impressive! I like this very much.
I can envision a Stick Store in the future
with hundreds of Sticks on display. 8-)

That aluminum isn’t terribly expensive, and you could run a couple of the square ones horizontally, and mount as many of these as you can fit on a wall. Perfect for guys like Greg Howard who have a whole stable, or if there were ever to be such a thing as a Stick section in a music store.

Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:25 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

SteveS wrote:
I'd by the thought of using what (to me) is the obvious mounting point, namely the belt hook. So, I just got through spending another inordinate amount of time and effort (fortunately the materials were all on-hand somewhere in my workshop stash) to try another approach.

Super rack SteveS.

Super workshop too!

With its combination of something for the belt hook to slot on to and something near the top to stop the stick 'falling' forward it might be considered the higher tech, more rigid, version of my "carefully sized loop of rope on a couple of coat hooks"? concept? LOL!

Attachment:
DSCF7860_Stick_hanger_resize.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:01 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DavidWS wrote:
Super workshop too!

Thanks. It was an almost 2-year project leading up to and for about a year after retirement, once the LOML let me tear out some office space and a cedar closet to make space for it. It started out about 17 years ago as a tiny space barely big enough for a drill press, contractor's saw, jointer and workbench. Of course, I had to build a new cedar closet and some new storage to compensate for the lost space, but I ended up with a very comfortable space that accommodates everything - drill press, sliding compound miter saw, band saw, table saw, jointer and planer plus a ducted dust collection system to keep the space clean (the shop is a throughway to both the bathroom and laundry room).

DavidWS wrote:
it might be considered the higher tech, more rigid, version of my "carefully sized loop of rope on a couple of coat hooks"? concept?

Well, your quick-n-dirty solution did provide some inspiration.

Now that I have that hunk of 8020 attached to the wall, I'm going to experiment with some other ideas, including something that might be suitable for a floor-standing stand suitable for use on a gig, so stay tuned.

Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:40 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

SteveS wrote:
Now that I have that hunk of 8020 attached to the wall, I'm going to experiment with some other ideas, including something that might be suitable for a floor-standing stand suitable for use on a gig, so stay tuned.

I realise it's much more fun to design & build, but I find a slightly modified Hercules Basoon/Bass Clarinet stand works very well.

To adapt it for a Stick you just need to either replace or modify the 'cup' that the instrument sits in. IIRC @KenCardita (from whom I got the idea) replaced the cup with a channel of some sort? I just carved the rubber to provide a flat seat plus retaining lip.

Later, as part of my Bamboo Grand #5826 purchase I got a 'proper' SE supplied Stick Stand too. It's very good, but I'm not sure it's significantly better in practical terms than the Hercules?

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:25 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DavidWS wrote:
I realise it's much more fun to design & build, but I find a slightly modified Hercules Basoon/Bass Clarinet stand works very well.

Cheaper too! :D

But that Hercules stand looks to be a great option!

Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:02 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Nothing like using something to "debug" it.

I found that I was knocking the headstock/tuners into the wall when putting the Sticks in this rack, so I made a simple modification to allow the supports at the top to swing up and out of the way for placing the Sticks on the rack. I cut those two "wings" off using a bandsaw, then drilled for some 3-inch 1/4-20 hanger bolts, secured the wings onto the bolts with some nuts with nylon inserts so they'd grab the threads and not loosen up. Adjusted them just tight enough to get a little friction to keep the wings in whatever position I place them in.

Works much better!

Attachment:
Wall Rack Tweak.JPG

Attachment:
Wall Rack Open.JPG

Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:23 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I lean my Stick on a pool noodle w/ a slit in the back to go over the edge of my table that I have my mixer on. And a small divot for the back of the Stick. Pool noodles are a buck apiece @ 5 Below. I use them for everything. Except in the pool.

Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
I lean my Stick on a pool noodle w/ a slit in the back to go over the edge of my table that I have my mixer on. And a small divot for the back of the Stick. Pool noodles are a buck apiece @ 5 Below. I use them for everything. Except in the pool.

The same type of foam is used for pipe insulation and it comes pre-slit. Super handy stuff!!

Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:16 pm