It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:20 am

simple setup for plugin effects on ipad for performing ? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post simple setup for plugin effects on ipad for performing ?
hi there , is there a simple setup for hosting a few plugin effects on an ipad for performing ? doesn't have to be super fancy. easy to use and simple is more of a plus. i was thinking of doing this i combination with a uad volt2 audio interface perhaps.

Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:47 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: simple setup for plugin effects on ipad for performing ?
Not sure if your question is with regard to software or hardware, Mike, but this is what I can tell you.

Yes, you need an audio interface. Beyond that, you'll need a hub that supports PD charging and a beefy (like 65w) power supply (the hubs use about 15w) so that the bus-power to the audio interface doesn't suck up all the battery on the iPad. Plus all of the appropriate cables (see the pics below).

For software, I run my Stick through an iPad all day, every day. I use an app called AUM that provides all the routing that I need and supports any AUV3 plugin. My current Stick "rig" has a compressor, EQ, reverb and chorus on each channel. Both signals are then routed (in AUM) to a "master" bus on which I have a limiter plugin. I also have an AUM "session" for guitar that also has compression and EQ, reverb and chorus, but also has distortion, flange and phaser plugins. I also host MIDI Guitar 2 in AUM to convert my Stick audio into MIDI, then route that to any one of a dozen virtual instrument or synth plugins I have.

I actually have two setups like this - one in my music room and another compact "gig-ready" rig for the day that I can show up at an open mic night. Pics below.

The "mount" for the iPad is just a case mounted to the box with velcro. The Helicon TC-Twin audio interface is attached with the 3M DualLock "tape" that a lot of folks use on their pedal boards. The blue extension cord has a standard plug both on the inside of the box into which I plug the power supply, and the outside into which I can plug my powered FRFR speaker. The right-angle dongle going into the right side of the interface is to accommodate headphones. The two output jacks on the interface are on the left.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachment:
EC5C5886-7F7E-4203-B946-4FC86CA92345_1_201_a.jpeg

Attachment:
7770CC1C-0468-42D5-A2DE-4860E74B9D78_1_201_a.jpeg

Attachment:
BCF3C941-FB5B-4971-87D9-66417A0A256D_1_201_a.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:29 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'll add that once you have this setup, there is a metric shit-ton of stuff you can do. I have an excellent MIDI piano-roll app that I use to automate playing of each piece I learn on the Stick. It improves my ability to read music, it helps me hear the piece as arranged, and I can also practice either the left-hand or right-hand, using the MIDI file (and the virtual instrument that its output is routed to) to play the other hand. Really helpful particularly on those gnarly bass parts where the coordination between the hands can be tricky. So much easier to get it under your fingers when your ear can clearly hear it as you're playing with the left hand only. I can also change the tempo within AUM if I need to.

To do this I can either use my fingers, an Apple Pencil, OR I can use one of my MIDI keyboards to punch in the notes. BTW virtually everything in AUM can be triggered/controlled by a MIDI controller - keyboard, foot controller, LaunchPad etc. The hub in the pics above has two free ports at this point, either of which could be used to plug in a USB MIDI cable from a foot controller, or a LaunchPad.

BTW, I just looked up that Volt 2 interface. It doesn't appear to be bus-powered, so you'll need to accommodate the wall-wart too. If you make up something like my setup, just having enough outlets on the extension cord should do the trick. You'll have to experiment and see if the iPad's battery lasts long enough to get you through an entire gig. If it does, and you don't need to add an additional hardware like a MIDI controller, you might be able to get away without a hub. That interface on mine can be powered by a wall-wart, but that left the iPad unpowered and reliant on its battery. The setup above keeps everything humming along and the iPad's battery charged indefinitely.

Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:43 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

SteveS wrote:
Not sure if your question is with regard to software or hardware, Mike, but this is what I can tell you.

Yes, you need an audio interface. Beyond that, you'll need a hub that supports PD charging and a beefy (like 65w) power supply (the hubs use about 15w) so that the bus-power to the audio interface doesn't suck up all the battery on the iPad. Plus all of the appropriate cables (see the pics below).

For software, I run my Stick through an iPad all day, every day. I use an app called AUM that provides all the routing that I need and supports any AUV3 plugin. My current Stick "rig" has a compressor, EQ, reverb and chorus on each channel. Both signals are then routed (in AUM) to a "master" bus on which I have a limiter plugin. I also have an AUM "session" for guitar that also has compression and EQ, reverb and chorus, but also has distortion, flange and phaser plugins. I also host MIDI Guitar 2 in AUM to convert my Stick audio into MIDI, then route that to any one of a dozen virtual instrument or synth plugins I have.

I actually have two setups like this - one in my music room and another compact "gig-ready" rig for the day that I can show up at an open mic night. Pics below.

The "mount" for the iPad is just a case mounted to the box with velcro. The Helicon TC-Twin audio interface is attached with the 3M DualLock "tape" that a lot of folks use on their pedal boards. The blue extension cord has a standard plug both on the inside of the box into which I plug the power supply, and the outside into which I can plug my powered FRFR speaker. The right-angle dongle going into the right side of the interface is to accommodate headphones. The two output jacks on the interface are on the left.

so AUM hosts effects plugins like reverb , tremolo, etc....? i want to make a couple simple chains of a 2 or 3 effects plugins per stick channel as "stomp boxes". if i can do this , can i toggle them on off with a midi footswitch type device? i'm guessing yes, but i'm not really up on this kind of stuff.

Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:12 pm
Contributor
Contributor

mike.hoegeman wrote:
i want to make a couple simple chains of a 2 or 3 effects plugins per stick channel as "stomp boxes". if i can do this , can i toggle them on off with a midi footswitch type device? i'm guessing yes, but i'm not really up on this kind of stuff.

Gig Performer 4 can do this:
https://gigperformer.com/

#5484 Padauk 12 String Grand Stick, PASV-4 MR
#5727 Osage Orange 10 String Stick, PASV-4 MR

- Ted

Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Ted S. wrote:
mike.hoegeman wrote:
i want to make a couple simple chains of a 2 or 3 effects plugins per stick channel as "stomp boxes". if i can do this , can i toggle them on off with a midi footswitch type device? i'm guessing yes, but i'm not really up on this kind of stuff.

Gig Performer 4 can do this:
https://gigperformer.com/
Thanks for the suggestion , I’ll take a look

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:42 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

mike.hoegeman wrote:
SteveS wrote:

so AUM hosts effects plugins like reverb , tremolo, etc....? i want to make a couple simple chains of a 2 or 3 effects plugins per stick channel as "stomp boxes". if i can do this , can i toggle them on off with a midi footswitch type device? i'm guessing yes, but i'm not really up on this kind of stuff.
Ok I found a few YouTube videos, it looks like it does what I was looking for, the interface looks simple enough . I’ll look at it a bit more , thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:45 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

mike.hoegeman wrote:

Yes. It's like a super-flexible mixer, with as many channels as you want and all the usual mixer features - mute, solo, routing to bus channels etc. Each channel can have a bunch of plugins as you can see in one of my screen shots. You can establlish a tempo and time signature, and everything in each signal chain can "listen in" on that clock and respond - like having a delay adjust to the tempo, or if (as I describe above) you have a piano roll or other MIDI device in the signal chain.

Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:36 pm