It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:52 pm

Looping in Ableton 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Looping in Ableton
gpoorman wrote:
t's really quite remarkable to me that the Mainstage looping plugin sucks so badly.

I totally agree! I once tried to set up Mainstage looper plugin to do the main EDP functions and it was just too much for Mainstage, almost smoked the CPU and the timing of the loops were completely off.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

gpoorman wrote:
Claire wrote:
You might take a look at Audio Damage Enso plug-in. I purchased it a while back when it was on discount and haven't really had a chance to dig into it. But it's pretty full-featured and I generally like the Audio Damage software.

Aaah. Was looking at that this morning actually. It looks interesting and there's a free trial. It doesn't look like it multiplies though which is a deal breaker. Although I could be wrong but I just didn't see it in the manual.

Doh! looking at the details again I think you're right. Seems like the design is based around tape-loops and pitch effects that go along with it. I should probably learn it one of these days!

Really odd that there aren't more looping plugins.

Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:38 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Ableton Live + using the Akai ACP 40 is a really game changer. being able to launch loops and clips and not having to rely on the mouse or track pad!!! Kevin is right, and I would just go ahead and get the full suite! You are an advanced player, and you WILL use it!!! tons of great educational videos on line. Im in the process of studying Ableton with this young female Dj/keyboard player. She is a wizard and is getting me the deep dive into Ableton for my Live rig and for DAW... https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... lsrc=aw.ds

Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:35 pm
Contributor
Contributor

For those of you who've responded and indicated that you do use Ableton Live for live looping: what is your process? Do you use the looper plugin that comes with Live, or do you record into and trigger clips?

Personally, I found that the included looper plugin didn't quite do what I wanted. I found a third party script called ClyphX Pro that totally transformed Live for me. As if Live's features weren't robust enough already, ClyphX Pro allows you to write action lists and trigger with a MIDI controller, controlling and customizing virtually every aspect of Live that you can think of.

I used the combination of Live with ClyphX Pro and a MIDI foot controller (Behringer FCB1010) to record and execute custom arrangements live, hands free - recording both sides of the Stick and electric guitar, synced with a backing percussion/drum track. This is still a work in progress.

I'm interested in hearing what your processes are!

Ted

#5484 Padauk 12 String Grand Stick, PASV-4 MR
#5727 Osage Orange 10 String Stick, PASV-4 MR

- Ted

Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:55 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Per Boysen wrote:
It generally seems quite 4/4 biased.

I’ve found that to be true of a lot of software that is designed for EDM production and performance. I’ve tried a half-dozen different sequencers that cannot handle triplet-based rhythms. Many can’t deal with multiple time signatures, like 3 bars of 7/8 followed by one bar of 3/8. Even Cubasis, one of the more expensive and highly-regarded iOS DAWs, locks a project into a single time signature. NanoStudio2 and MTS OTOH both seem to be made for traditional musicians as they both are much more able to accommodate tuplets, changing tempos and time signatures.

Don’t get me wrong, I love EDM as much as the next guy (finally going to see Underworld live in May!!!) but it is a highly limiting genre around which to design music software.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:05 pm