It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:39 pm

Anyone using Melodyne? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Anyone using Melodyne?
I've had this program for many years, but this feature is new to me.
It allows people without perfect pitch detection to analyze tunes.

The video will explain the process much better than I can.
This method applies to any musical instrument.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:22 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Anyone using Melodyne?
I don't, but that's really interesting. Unfortunately, it looks like the product that has that capability is $400. Oof!!

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:57 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I'm using the Studio version. I bought it second hand.
https://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/what-is-melodyne
After the purchase, Celemony transferred the license over to me.

SteveS wrote:
I don't, but that's really interesting. Unfortunately, it looks like the product that has that capability is $400. Oof!!

Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:39 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

WerkSpace wrote:
I'm using the Studio version. I bought it second hand.
After the purchase, Celemony transferred the license over to me.

That eases the pain some. Amazing technology.

Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:35 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

So…I got to wondering. I tried my hand at using the tools I have on-hand to try to do this. Results are…interesting.

I took a couple of stems – one an organ track from a Procol Harum tune, and a piano track from Steely Dan’s “Home at Last,” ran them both through MIDI Guitar 2 and recorded the MIDI output. I then ran the MIDI track through a virtual piano plugin to “check” the results.

The organ didn’t do well at all. You could pick up some information from it, but it was pretty hit-or-miss. The piano track did much better.

This is a screen shot of the first few bars (I only ran about 32 bars total):

Attachment:
D21B4E39-25D2-4A04-ACAD-A4A4B6D65F30.jpeg

Here are three files with the audio result. One is the output of the MIDI file through the virtual piano. The second is the original file. They were recorded individually from the left & right channels as indicated. The third file has the MG2/MIDI-generated track in the left channel, and the original in the right so you can do a real-time A/B comparison by panning the output left-right. I think you could make a pretty good stab at deconstructing this track with this. Note if this link doesn’t take you to the playlist, look for the playlist named “Chord analysis experiment” which has all three files.

Here is the MIDI file:
Attachment:
MG2 Interpretation.zip

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:42 pm

So, having read the website and blog, i would probably have no use for this wonderful seeming product until my stick arrives. Is that correct?
I would not be able to use it with an acoustic guitar, unless i turned that guitar electric-acoutsic?
This is just one of the far too many things i will need to learn, someday soon, i hope!
Midi guitar 2 replaces what, exactly? I understand it helps change sounds, handles channels, probably lots more. Does it replace the need for an amp, and a pre-amp?
Am guessing it would somehow plugin my iPad to my active or passive pickup on the stick?
Or could it “hear” whatever sound is being made, thru the air, and manipulate that?
I know this is all simple to most, or all of you, but i am still sitting patiently on the sidelines ;-)
Thank you

Grandstick@yahoo.com

Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:58 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Sempil wrote:
So, having read the website and blog, i would probably have no use for this wonderful seeming product until my stick arrives. Is that correct?
I would not be able to use it with an acoustic guitar, unless i turned that guitar electric-acoutsic?
This is just one of the far too many things i will need to learn, someday soon, i hope!
Midi guitar 2 replaces what, exactly? I understand it helps change sounds, handles channels, probably lots more. Does it replace the need for an amp, and a pre-amp?
Am guessing it would somehow plugin my iPad to my active or passive pickup on the stick?
Or could it “hear” whatever sound is being made, thru the air, and manipulate that?
I know this is all simple to most, or all of you, but i am still sitting patiently on the sidelines ;-)
Thank you

Melodyne is used for both vocals and musical instruments. Its input to a computer is via microphone or audio interface. The primary purpose is to correct recording mistakes of both vocals and instruments after the talent has gone home.

MIDI Guitar 2 is a totally different program that is designed to convert audio interface signals into MIDI information which can trigger a multitude of sound effects and virtual instruments.

I also use Ozone Advanced from iZotope.
Its purpose is to make an audio track sound its best.

Last edited by WerkSpace on Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:53 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Quote:
i would probably have no use for this wonderful seeming product until my stick arrives. Is that correct?

Dave – yes! In fact it’s something that I didn’t actually play with until very recently because I wanted to get some of the basics down first. And yes, it’s a digital tool (sitting on your iPad) that acts on the electrical signal from an instrument like a stick or guitar. An acoustic guitar would need an electronic pickup to produce a usable signal. Melodyne similarly needs a signal from a recording or a mic. MIDI Guitar2 figures out the fundamental frequency of a signal and produces a MIDI data output – what note, when it starts, how loud, when it stops. Very much like a piano roll. That can in turn be used to control virtual instruments like sampled or synthesized violins or unique synthesized sounds independent of any instrument. You can choose to have your guitar or Stick sound like a Hammond organ or a French horn, or a synthesizer from an 80’s new-wave band. Note there have long been ways to do this, but usually always required some hardware. We’ve been seeing software like this looking like a promising solution.

Two things I failed to mention last night (it was late..)

First, you don't need any of this as a Stick player. Many never dabble with MIDI at all, ever. Some of us are gadget freaks, or suffer from GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) so we can't pass up a chance to fool with it.

Also, this software-based audio-to-MIDI technology is available for MacOS and Windows, not just iOS.Note though that this runs as a plug-in, so you also need a supporting application like a DAW (digital audio workstation) or a digital mixer that supports these plug-ins. Plug-in technology is beyond the scope of a conversation on this forum, but if interested, search the web for info on a couple of the most popular plug-in formats - VST and AUV3. I'll bet Wikipedia also has good entries on this as well.

Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:55 pm

If i understand correctly, i would still need a DAW, to work with MIDI GUITAR.
There appears to be quite a selection of DAWs, including GARAGE BAND, which is made by apple. MIDI GUITAR looks quite good. I have studiously avoided GARAGE BAND, thinking it was just a game.
It had occurred to me that there may be a dongle, to hook into the Stick pickups, that would send the signal via bluetooth. I currently have bluetooth speakers for listening to anything on my devices.
So, two questions
1) is GARAGE BAND one of the better DAWs?
2) the dongle? Does one exist?
Bonus question - is bluetooth good enough?

TVMIA

Grandstick@yahoo.com

Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:11 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Sempil wrote:
If i understand correctly, i would still need a DAW, to work with MIDI GUITAR.
There appears to be quite a selection of DAWs, including GARAGE BAND, which is made by apple. MIDI GUITAR looks quite good. I have studiously avoided GARAGE BAND, thinking it was just a game.
It had occurred to me that there may be a dongle, to hook into the Stick pickups, that would send the signal via bluetooth. I currently have bluetooth speakers for listening to anything on my devices.
So, two questions
1) is GARAGE BAND one of the better DAWs?
2) the dongle? Does one exist?
Bonus question - is bluetooth good enough?

TVMIA

I use the Fishman TriplePlay on one of my guitars.

Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:58 pm