It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 5:13 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Monopod stand for the Chapman Stick 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Monopod stand for the Chapman Stick
WerkSpace wrote:
My next task is to figure out how to design a method of hooking them on to my belt.

I wonder if a quick (& temporary?) solution might involve a couple of velcro cable ties (or one wide one if they exist) to strap it to the belt?

Most such ties are small, but I have some that are ~3/4" wide and up to 12" long.

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 9+4 Xtnd Classic Melody
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic (For Sale)

Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:36 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hey David, I thought of the velcro idea as well but I would have to access the interface on a regular basis and the velcro would wear out pretty quick. I'm thinking more of a metal clip as I don't trust plastic, it always breaks on me. I don't trust velcro either, I only use it to temporarily hold something in alignment.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:52 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks for sharing this idea. This seems to have some "legs" (no pun intended). It would seem to work equally well sitting and standing with the monopod being extensible.

I was thinking that if someone doesn't have an old tripod they'd like to sacrifice, you could use a telescoping trecking stick or a suitable camera monopod instead. Might take a bit of engineering to secure it to the mount, but would seem to be an alternative.

Personally, I'm interested in giving this a try...

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Last edited by SteveS on Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:03 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Steve, most monopods are round.
I chose the leg of a tripod because it was square.
This makes it less likely to spin around in the base mount.

PS: My WIN10 OS died today. I'm using the Android tablet at the moment.
My laptop has removeable SSD drives, so I'm replacing the failed OS with Ubuntu Studio.

SteveS wrote:
Thanks for sharing this idea. This seems to have some "leg" (no pun intended). It would seem to work equally well sitting and standing with the monopod being extensible.

I was thinking that if someone doesn't have an old tripod they'd like to sacrifice, you could use a telescoping trecking stick or a suitable camera monopod instead. Might take a bit of engineering to secure it to the mount, but would seem to be an alternative.

Personally, I'm interested in giving this a try...

Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:09 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

One of my Megatars has one, that was custom built by a luthier out in the Pacific North West somewhere.

It's ebony, with a graphite rod [I think] and it picks up the hardware inserts on the back of the body.

I am 6ft 7in, and I could play this thing standing up, or also seated as it is completely adjustable - see pictures !!

Somewhere I do have the blueprints for it, as the previous owner of the Megatar was a design engineer...

It works great !!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:18 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

That one looks really good.

Big George Waters wrote:
One of my Megatars has one, that was custom built by a luthier out in the Pacific North West somewhere.

It's ebony, with a graphite rod [I think] and it picks up the hardware inserts on the back of the body.

I am 6ft 7in, and I could play this thing standing up, or also seated as it is completely adjustable - see pictures !!

Somewhere I do have the blueprints for it, as the previous owner of the Megatar was a design engineer...

It works great !!

Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:34 pm

SteveS wrote:
WerkSpace wrote:
I like my telescopic monopod very much. It's so much fun to use.

It seems that the stick would tend to rotate. What is keeping it oriented properly – perhaps your hands or the shoulder strap?

I think it depends on the center of gravity of the contraption. Where's the rotation coming from, after all? If you just stood the stick up on a pole and let it go, it wouldn't rotate, it would just fall over (don't try this!). It's when you give it a push to the left or right of its center of gravity that it begins to spin. That can happen if there's a part of the contraption which is to the left or right of the center of mass, which projects and bumps your body. Or it can happen if the center of mass is in front of the instrument, so that holding it at certain rotations puts the center of mass to the left or right of your hands. Center of mass behind is probably ok, since that would at least be stable in a fretboard-up position. But if it's balanced right, it will only rotate if your fingers turn it.

Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:39 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Paul, keep in mind that when you tilt the Stick backwards towards your body, the Center of Gravity shifts slightly. Also, the upper portion of the Stick can rest on your shoulder. So far, I haven't found any issues with the monopod setup. I try not to over think the design. It was built mostly out of curiosity and I enjoy using it very much.

paul wrote:
SteveS wrote:
WerkSpace wrote:
I like my telescopic monopod very much. It's so much fun to use.

It seems that the stick would tend to rotate. What is keeping it oriented properly – perhaps your hands or the shoulder strap?

I think it depends on the center of gravity of the contraption. Where's the rotation coming from, after all? If you just stood the stick up on a pole and let it go, it wouldn't rotate, it would just fall over (don't try this!). It's when you give it a push to the left or right of its center of gravity that it begins to spin. That can happen if there's a part of the contraption which is to the left or right of the center of mass, which projects and bumps your body. Or it can happen if the center of mass is in front of the instrument, so that holding it at certain rotations puts the center of mass to the left or right of your hands. Center of mass behind is probably ok, since that would at least be stable in a fretboard-up position. But if it's balanced right, it will only rotate if your fingers turn it.

Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:52 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

WerkSpace wrote:
I've attached a photo of today's progress.

I just noticed something in one of your earlier posts (post 5 on the first page).
I think it shows that on your Stick the belt hook doesn't screw on to the thicker part of he Stick where the block sits? I can't see any screw holes on that flat bit for the hook's mount, but there do seem to be couple of screws in the thinner part of the beam?

Do I have that correct?

For those of use with belt hooks mounted on the flat thick part of the beam, the hook mount's screws might provide an alternative (simpler) fixing point?

Edit: Fix typo. :(

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 9+4 Xtnd Classic Melody
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic (For Sale)

Last edited by DavidWS on Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:12 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

You are correct. The two belt hook screws are on the arch between the thinner and thicker portions of the Stick. The aluminum belt hook is curved and this is where Emmett chose to mount it, for structural reasons. The belt hook gets drawn into the curve of the wood and locks the structures together. I can understand why he did this. It makes perfect sense to me.

DavidWS wrote:
WerkSpace wrote:
I've attached a photo of today's progress.

I just noticed something in pone of your earlier posts (post 5 on the first page).
I think it shows that on your Stick the belt hook doesn't screw on to the thicker part of he Stick where the block sits? I can't see any screw holes on that flat bit for the hook's mount, but there do seem to be couple of screws in the thinner part of the beam?

Do I have that correct?

For those of use with belt hooks mounted on the flat thick part of the beam, the hook mount's screws might provide an alternative (simpler) fixing point?

Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:13 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next