It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:45 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Monopod stand for the Chapman Stick 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Monopod stand for the Chapman Stick
DavidWS wrote:
SteveS wrote:
over 60 years later, we're still making people grapple with 12 inches to a foot, 3 feet to a yard, 3 tsp to a tablespoon, 16 oz to a pound.

Just about the only vestages of Imperial measures left in everyday use here are miles and pints (of beer).

Somehow kilometres never seemed to become part of the plan, and politicians decided that trying to change a nation's beer drinking habits from pints to (half) litres was a not a task they wanted to consider. LOL!

"Miles" is a very poetic word, "kilometer" not so much...

Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

SteveS wrote:
greg wrote:
IMO the biggest weakness with a monopod is the tendency of the instrument to rotate.

That was my concern too,Greg, but in practice it doesn't seem to be an issue. The strap seems to provide enough rotational stabilization that the Stick is always facing the right way, and I'm not finding that I'm having to "hold" it at all. I go back and forth between the Railboard with the monopod and the rosewood with a lapbar, and am still trying to decide if there are any downsides. Unfortunately right now there is only one piece I play on the Railboard, so I may not be "stress testing" it sufficiently, but time will tell...

Have you posted any pics with the device in action. I'd really be interested in seeing what kind of angles you're arriving at.

Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:09 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I haven't noticed any issues with my monopod. It works just fine. 8-)
SteveS wrote:
greg wrote:
IMO the biggest weakness with a monopod is the tendency of the instrument to rotate.

That was my concern too,Greg, but in practice it doesn't seem to be an issue. The strap seems to provide enough rotational stabilization that the Stick is always facing the right way, and I'm not finding that I'm having to "hold" it at all.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:51 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DavidWS wrote:
politicians decided that trying to change a nation's beer drinking habits from pints to (half) litres was a not a task they wanted to consider. LOL!

:lol: Yea - don't mess around with an important activity like beer drinking!!

DavidWS wrote:
Quite a lot of grocery packaging (tins, jars, & some packets) never actually changed size, but nowdays they are only labelled in metric.

Same over here. One of the reasons I think folks would find it easier to switch now. People can now "visualize" many quantities. They can (if they're paying attention, which most aren't) easily grasp how much a liter is. Hell, for guys, every urinal has right on top the GPF (gallons per flush) and LPF (liters per flush) and what else are you looking at while taking a pee? (1 gal = 3.8L) Liquor is sold most commonly in either 750ml or 1 litre bottles. The 750ml is equivalent to the old "fifth" which was a fifth of a gallon. Old timers (like me) may still refer to it as a "fifth" but it is clearly labelled 750ml. If they switched to kilometers, folks would quickly adapt, because they know that Lansing (our state capital) is about 60 miles from my house, so 100km quickly becomes the distance from Livonia to Lansing, and 450km becomes the distance to the Mackinac Bridge, and estimating travel time becomes a lot easier as highway travel usually averages about 100km/hr, so Lansing is an hour away, and the Mackinac Bridge is 4 1/2 hours.

DavidWS wrote:
There are few traditionalists who still insist they ought to have the right to sell apples by the pound & so on, but such views are now largely considered as eccentric by most.
:D

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:40 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
"Miles" is a very poetic word, "kilometer" not so much...

I think that in Australia (an English speaking country that did go the extra mile & adopt the kilometer) they say 'k' (pronounced 'kay'?) in daily speech?

Maybe a Aussie here could confirm or correct?

And of course English speaking military use 'click'.

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:46 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

SteveS wrote:
If they switched to kilometers, folks would quickly adapt, because they know that Lansing (our state capital) is about 60 miles from my house, so 100km quickly becomes the distance from Livonia to Lansing, and 450km becomes the distance to the Mackinac Bridge, and estimating travel time becomes a lot easier as highway travel usually averages about 100km/hr, so Lansing is an hour away, and the Mackinac Bridge is 4 1/2 hours.

Yes, for longer journeys (& around here that's most journeys) time makes more sense anyway.

PS. Your comments had me imagining the Proclaimers singing "I would walk 800 k, and I would walk 800 more..." perfectly well, then coming unstuck at the next line..." LOL!

Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:06 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DavidWS wrote:
PS. Your comments had me imagining the Proclaimers singing "I would walk 800 k, and I would walk 800 more..." perfectly well, then coming unstuck at the next line..." LOL!

:lol:

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:44 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

SteveS wrote:
DavidWS wrote:
My guess is that all the fasteners on Sticks use US machine screw sizes, but yeah, I'd poke Jeff and find out for sure.

I never got around to bothering Jeff, but a simple test just revealed that the inserts on my Graphite are a very nice fit for M5, whereas they are a very poor fit for the screws provided with a 'flat' belt hook mount.

The screws supplied with the 'flat' belt hook mount are perfect for my wooden Stick, but in the inserts in the Graphite they sort of fit but exhibit signs of not being quite the correct pitch - periodic easy & hard screwing & when withdrawn they show bands of highly polished (almost stripped) threads.

Further experimentation revealed that the holes in the Graphite Stick go almost all the way through to the other side (~37/38mm deep) & so it was possible to fit the flat belt hook mount with the original asymetric screws anyway. :)

The 'third' screw of the belt hook mount is also M5, but the hole isn't full depth.

This discovery means that if/when I get around to making a version of my 'demountable' system for the Graphite I can make use of M5 machine screws at a length of my choice. :)

Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:14 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7